onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tom Pope.

keeled56

Advert

Only Tom and Norm know how much salary Tom is presently on and what Norm is offering at end of this campaign. Rest is pure conjecture. We don't know what other squad players are on either or indeed what they will be offered at season's end. We also don't know what Barnsley and any others may be willing to stretch to either in terms of salary or actual Wonga to Vale as a transfer fee. All we know for sure is that the unrest Pope's debacle of a contract extension has caused is harming us as a Club, both in terms of PR to the loyal fans and revenue to Vale.

We shall all know before 11pm Monday so we can all pass opinion on Tom but we can do stuff-all to influence that decision now. By threatening to not purchase a season ticket we are doing no good either. We will watch Vale whoever is playing. The biggest unknown quantity to Vale is the "loss" of tickets/faith in the Club/ambition that will be encountered if Tom does decide to leave.

His record speaks for itself but so does logic in so much that any player can be replaced. I guess it's all down to us having faith in the Owner in doing the right thing for Port Vale and whatever that is we need to stand together and accept it. Grumble by all means but in the long term let it be and move on! Time will come when we can make a more educated and factual comment as to what success we achieve or otherwise without Tom, if he goes. It is still possible he will sign for us for life as again we honestly do not know what mind games or otherwise are going on in his head.

It seems the majority agree on this thread though.

No-one wants to see him go, of that there can't be any doubt but subject to being able to get a good bit of money for him if he isn't going to re-sign then maybe it is in his and our interests if he leaves now.

On your opening point how on earth is it rubbish? He scored 33 in 12/13, 16 last season and has the same in roughly the same starts as Williamson doesn't he, he's not proven this season so therefore he's proven in 2 seasons!!!

I don't think me and Owd have any grudge, certainly I don't. I only think he has a slightly worrying infatuation with Tom and Dodds ;)

16 in League 1 - first season - and 9 is it, this season to end Sept to me is a good return, proven goal scorer.

Like I say it may well be all done and dusted between Smurf and Pope already

I do see it as Smurf being a little bit stubborn and maybe ' biting off his nose to spite his face '

I also agree we have to manage the money we bring in but that is Pages job

He has a budget and he says who and how many players we have.

Like I said next season is a season of massive change for the VALE.

I really have my fingers crossed for the future.

Pope will go, Sage will cry for a bit, and then everyone will realise Port Vale is bigger than Tom Pope and we will move on with our lives.

Pope will be immortalised in Vale legend for his efforts 2 seasons ago, but he isn't THAT good. He's a good league 1 striker. No more.

Anyone who is seriously considering not getting a season ticket because Pope's leaving needs to get a grip.

No that isn't the same logic. Marshall isn't 30 and been injured for large parts of the season, plus the chairman wants to offer him a good contract, it's clear smurf dosent want pope to sign on the wage he's currently on.

Your logic stated numerous times is that we have replaced strikers in the past

Im applying your logic to the Marshall situation

Pope will go, Sage will cry for a bit, and then everyone will realise Port Vale is bigger than Tom Pope and we will move on with our lives.

Pope will be immortalised in Vale legend for his efforts 2 seasons ago, but he isn't THAT good. He's a good league 1 striker. No more.

Anyone who is seriously considering not getting a season ticket because Pope's leaving needs to get a grip.

This

Have we consistently replaced wingers?

yep

have you followed the club ?

amazingly you are implying now that decent strikers are any different than decent wingers

either way we can all blame people like you if marshall goes as you seem confident good players are easy to replace :ninja:

yep

have you followed the club ?

amazingly you are implying now that decent strikers are any different than decent wingers

either way we can all blame people like you if marshall goes as you seem confident good players are easy to replace :ninja:

What decent wingers have we been signing recently? JMW was good and Marshall was an excellent replacement, recently I cant think of any other wingers that needed replacing as most werent good enough, players like Haldane, Vincent, Moore this season. How am I implying that decent strikers are different to wingers?

We have had very good goalscorers recently, and each one has been replaced with another good player, with wingers that hasnt been the same case other than for this season.

What decent wingers have we been signing recently? JMW was good and Marshall was an excellent replacement, recently I cant think of any other wingers that needed replacing as most werent good enough, players like Haldane, Vincent, Moore this season. How am I implying that decent strikers are different to wingers?

We have had very good goalscorers recently, and each one has been replaced with another good player, with wingers that hasnt been the same case other than for this season.

your application of your own logic is changing post by post

however you seem to be recognising good players are hard to replace, just look at yates, the club have attempted 4 players in his position, he still came out on top

So let a good League 1 striker, go to another Leage 1 club, whilst we are in League 1? For a few grand? No thanks. Keep him till the end of the season and do everything we can to keep him long term.

If he is allowed to leave this will be Smurf's biggest own goal. Why does Danny Wilson want him because genuine goalscorers are very precious. Come on Norm wake up and smell the coffee.

Do you think that it's because we can't afford Pope's wage demands?

Folks seem to be getting caught-up with him either being superhuman or super loyal and that it's all Smurf's fault.

That's nonsense and anyone who considers not getting a ST on the basis that he goes is a joke.

Archived