onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tom Pope.

keeled56

Using the logic applied we should cash in on Marshall, getting a winger as good as him should be no problem

No that isn't the same logic. Marshall isn't 30 and been injured for large parts of the season, plus the chairman wants to offer him a good contract, it's clear smurf dosent want pope to sign on the wage he's currently on.

Advert

Did we get relegated the year after Constantine and Sodje left?

Yep.

What is the most we're going to get for Pope if he goes now? £50k max? Is it really worth it given the doom and gloom it will cause, and the potential impact on early bird season ticket sales? Keep him until the ent of the season and then do all we can to keep him (within the budget we can afford).

He's only been a genuine goalscorer in two seasons though' date=' we have lost more prolific and better strikers previously and replaced them. It's all down to the manager and chairman who we have to support.[/quote']

Sorry R E P

You talk rubbish. Or is it just a grievance with Old Sage

' Only a genuine goal scorer in two years ' ?

This year, last year, year before.

What about his total record since he arrived.

It is not a one off.

Yes we can replace him and yes we will replace him, eventually.

Please everyone remember the years in between we managed to get the better strikers we have had over the years.

Common sense tells me that IF Smurf is offering ' x ' and Pope is going to say no and neither of them will budge

then if he goes now and we get some money then that looks like good business.

PROVIDING :

We don't get relegated this season

We don't lose too many renewing season tickets. [ I would be upset, but would still renew ]

We sign a replacement now who starts to score goals pretty quick.

I also agree that Pope should not be paid in excess of what we can afford but some positions are key and some

positions do warrant more money than the rest of the team. Fact whether we agree or not.

How does Pope differ from Smurfs affections to Marshall ?

Smurf insists he wants Marshall to stay.

I am sure Marshall will insist on an increase in his salary.

What if Marshall has other offers or tells Smurf he has other offers ? What then.

Next season I see a massive change or us

Hope it works out but it is very very dangerous

We sign younger players on contracts, possibly cheap to start but what if they are successful

Is it then that simple after 12 months to offer a new deal and the player to accept ?

Don't forget theres no loyalty. If a player does well and other clubs come knocking with a better deal

then they will be gone

Then alsoi remember what happens if the players are not successful ? ?

Yep.

What is the most we're going to get for Pope if he goes now? £50k max? Is it really worth it given the doom and gloom it will cause, and the potential impact on early bird season ticket sales? Keep him until the ent of the season and then do all we can to keep him (within the budget we can afford).

Exactly George. We are not going to get big money for a League One striker of Pope's age with only 5 months left on his contract. If a couple of hundred people decide that selling Pope is a sign of lack of ambition and don't buy a seson ticket, then we are probably going to be out of pocket on the deal. We may well be able to replace him but replace p****d off fans who beggar off is not that easy.

It's plain stupidity to think of selling Pope.

Wilson recognises his ability at this level but we don't seem to rate him so highly.

I'd pay Pope the going rate for the job and if it means having a player less in the first team squad, so be it.

Getting rid of one of your major assets is never sensible in football and only leads downwards.

It's plain stupidity to think of selling Pope.

Wilson recognises his ability at this level but we don't seem to rate him so highly.

I'd pay Pope the going rate for the job and if it means having a player less in the first team squad, so be it.

Getting rid of one of your major assets is never sensible in football and only leads downwards.

I struggle to see why so many people don't agree with the likes of us Sage.

Pope at best may be on £2.5K a week, granted that is a hell of a lot more than I earn

What does he give you for that?

1) Goals

2) Effort

3) Loyalty and Pride in his local club

4) Honesty - a rare thing in this day & age particularly in football

Can we replace him? Maybe but at what cost?

Personally i'd keep him and trim the 1st team squad down to 18 and top up with loans as/ when.

Why on earth do we have 27/28 pro's on the books at present?

In all honesty how many of them are good enough to compete higher in League 1 if we look to improve?

A no brainer that will affect Season Ticket Sales - Maybe even mine

Sorry R E P

You talk rubbish. Or is it just a grievance with Old Sage

' Only a genuine goal scorer in two years ' ?

This year, last year, year before.

What about his total record since he arrived.

It is not a one off.

Yes we can replace him and yes we will replace him, eventually.

Please everyone remember the years in between we managed to get the better strikers we have had over the years.

Common sense tells me that IF Smurf is offering ' x ' and Pope is going to say no and neither of them will budge

then if he goes now and we get some money then that looks like good business.

PROVIDING :

We don't get relegated this season

We don't lose too many renewing season tickets. [ I would be upset, but would still renew ]

We sign a replacement now who starts to score goals pretty quick.

I also agree that Pope should not be paid in excess of what we can afford but some positions are key and some

positions do warrant more money than the rest of the team. Fact whether we agree or not.

How does Pope differ from Smurfs affections to Marshall ?

Smurf insists he wants Marshall to stay.

I am sure Marshall will insist on an increase in his salary.

What if Marshall has other offers or tells Smurf he has other offers ? What then.

Next season I see a massive change or us

Hope it works out but it is very very dangerous

We sign younger players on contracts, possibly cheap to start but what if they are successful

Is it then that simple after 12 months to offer a new deal and the player to accept ?

Don't forget theres no loyalty. If a player does well and other clubs come knocking with a better deal

then they will be gone

Then alsoi remember what happens if the players are not successful ? ?

It seems the majority agree on this thread though.

No-one wants to see him go, of that there can't be any doubt but subject to being able to get a good bit of money for him if he isn't going to re-sign then maybe it is in his and our interests if he leaves now.

On your opening point how on earth is it rubbish? He scored 33 in 12/13, 16 last season and has the same in roughly the same starts as Williamson doesn't he, he's not proven this season so therefore he's proven in 2 seasons!!!

I don't think me and Owd have any grudge, certainly I don't. I only think he has a slightly worrying infatuation with Tom and Dodds ;)

Archived