onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer rumours and speculation

If Ben wants to go then we have to let him go, but get as much money for him as we can. If we get around the 350k I think we could get for him then it has to be spent on a striker. If Ben goes then we have to keep Chislett, we can’t let them both go if possible.

• Like 2

Advert

2 hours ago, Diego Maradona said:

Apparently, Carol's given DM the same budget now as she would if we were in L1. Hence, L1 budget - L1 players (generally).

And she'll pay off the dross where she can!

Which is pleasing but we never really competed with a budget in league 1. How many proven league 1 players did we buy over the past season? 

Too early to say. After all we signed proven league 1 player David Worrall after getting relegated last time but the overall budget was definitely not a sign of Smurfwaite giving a league 1 budget. 

Besides we are not getting a league 1 income this season, so any financial pain could have been avoided had we invested with this “league 1 budget” in league 1. 

I do doubt we will or should be giving free money to rubbish players as compensation for being rubbish. 

There is nothing to suggest Barnsley will be in for him for starters, Garrity is valuable to us but I’m not sure he improves a promotion chasing L1 team. I think with DC he’s officially the head coach so not sure what if any involvement in recruitment he will have in any case. That said IF we were to sell him I’d want as a minimum £400k to us (that would be after deducting any sell on fee if one was included to Blackpool when we signed him) otherwise it’s not worth our while letting him go.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Which is pleasing but we never really competed with a budget in league 1. How many proven league 1 players did we buy over the past season? 

Too early to say. After all we signed proven league 1 player David Worrall after getting relegated last time but the overall budget was definitely not a sign of Smurfwaite giving a league 1 budget. 

Besides we are not getting a league 1 income this season, so any financial pain could have been avoided had we invested with this “league 1 budget” in league 1. 

I do doubt we will or should be giving free money to rubbish players as compensation for being rubbish. 

Only one person to blame for bringing the players in last season and it's FRAUDCROFT but he's gone and it's in the past and we rebuild again hopefully with a competitive budget...UTV VTID 

11 hours ago, Brian Johnson said:

Do you seriously think that Ben Garrity could get into a side like Ipswich Town?

No chance. Probably the best overall midfield player post Dave Brammer. Sam Morsy clearly had more potential but wasn't quite the finished article. Just purely as holding midfield players Grant, O'Connor and Morsy were better. His limit is probably lower end of The Championship.  Excellent work rate, good finisher. What limits him is his distribution; although that has improved. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JRC said:

No chance. Probably the best overall midfield player post Dave Brammer. Sam Morsy clearly had more potential but wasn't quite the finished article. Just purely as holding midfield players Grant, O'Connor and Morsy were better. His limit is probably lower end of The Championship.  Excellent work rate, good finisher. What limits him is his distribution; although that has improved. 

I’d add Griff to that holding midfielder list too 

The buying and selling of players shows intent! Sell your best players then you are going to be in trouble. It just sends out the wrong message to fans and players alike. We need to keep the likes of Ben if we want league one football.Sorry but it is as simple as that. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, bomber said:

The buying and selling of players shows intent! Sell your best players then you are going to be in trouble. It just sends out the wrong message to fans and players alike. We need to keep the likes of Ben if we want league one football.Sorry but it is as simple as that. 

Sorry, it is not as simple as that in anyway.

If Ben wants to move on this summer, he will move on. Do not get deluded that we hold all the cards because he’s under contract because we do not

if he gets a sniff of a move that would at least double his wages, he will make it happen

Edited by Brian Johnson
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Vtid said:

I’d add Griff to that holding midfielder list too 

He was a good tackler but his distribution was just dreadful.  For me he would be high on a list of players who made the most of their talent. In my opinion he was just a good league 2 player. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Brian Johnson said:

That's made me laugh.

A million quid for a player that's only got 12 months left on his contract.

Plus, if a Barnsley did come in for him, he will 100% do everything he can to make it happen.

That's not having a go at Ben by the way, that's just the harsh reality 

The length of contract is irrelevant when we don’t want to sell and the player doesn’t want to leave which Garrity has openly said.

He will either leave for big money or sign  a new contract.

13 minutes ago, JRC said:

He was a good tackler but his distribution was just dreadful.  For me he would be high on a list of players who made the most of their talent. In my opinion he was just a good league 2 player. 

Fantastic tackler, made up for his weaker side of his game 

30 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

Sorry, it is not as simple as that in anyway.

If Ben wants to move on this summer, he will move on. Do not get deluded that we hold all the cards because he’s under contract because we do not

if he gets a sniff of a move that would at least double his wages, he will make it happen

How do you know! The very fact we talk players out of the club then accept peanuts for them means we go nowhere. We moan about other clubs getting big fees for players we get a pittance because we are to eager to sell.

• Like 4

Think people are being a bit unrealistic here. At the end of the day we are port vale and are a league 2 team this season. We aren’t getting a mil for garrity and I’d be very surprised if we turned down 600/700k. Which is fine, that’s just how things go. As long as we reinvest that money wisely there’s no issue.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1