onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Portsmouth (H) match thread - 27th Jan

robf

2 hours ago, Gooders said:

Or one win away from midtable. Like Exeter and Shrewsbury at 3 o'clock.

Exeter and Shrewsbury are capable of scoring goals. 

I feel that we are so embedded into providing a formation and home for promising, young, players from Prem clubs that we have forgotten the object of the game is to win !!

Personally, I think Vale fans have been incredibly patient with DF and AC and their boring, ineffective,and at times downright abysmal team performances this season.

I am sick to death of being known as Charity Vale.

Defeat at Fleetwood next week to go with defeats by Carlisle and Cheltenham will mean we simply don't deserve league 1 football

Advert

Worrying thing is, take out the loanees and the only players that started today that I would definitely want at the club next season if we stay in the league are Chislett and Ripley. 

Smith, Iacovitti and Lowe are League Two level. Grant has been a massive disappointment. Massey is Massey. Wilson has one decent game every now and again, and Uche is only fractionally better than Loft, a player that is one of the worst signings in recent memory.

We need a major overhaul this summer if we stay up regardless, as a number of our players have shown that they are not good enough for this league.

6 hours ago, darren1810 said:

I'll tell you what I don't like us doing. 

The anti football Stevenage antics. 

Maybe around the 20 minute mark Dipepa clearly gave Ripley instructions to go down for treatment ( cheat ). 

I saw it with my own eyes as I was 30 foot away at The Hamil. 

Ripley then gets treatment for a non injury and all our players go to Crosby. 

Just down right cheating and if that was Stevenage I'd be screaming blue murder. 

I was watching at home, but when that happened I started to flick around between about 6 league one games to see what was going on. In at least half of them the same thing happened, keeper sat down and the players went to the manager. It’s a staged injury that everyone does for a break and a tactical chat. 

Inept doesn’t come close to describing the referee’s performance in that game. Yes Portsmouth were the better team and probably warranted the three points, yes Vale didn’t really look like scoring but the it’s a fact they’d have got a well-earned point against the league leaders had it not been for that decision.

The lad who got the penalty had been falling down all afternoon and the joker in orange finally bought one. Personally I thought Vale defended really well but like so many home games against the top sides this season, all we got was a 0-1 defeat. 
The severity of Uche’s injury now means we really need to invest in a decent forward otherwise we will be in trouble. I just hope the idiots who gave the owners abuse on social media before Christmas haven’t put them off investing in one.

9 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

Police inside the ground are very expensive. There used to be a lot of stewards in the ground, hardly any now and certainly don’t give the impression of being a deterrent. Lucky it’s not a big kick off inside the ground

There is far more stewards at Port Vale than at say Reading where there was a known protest taking place. 

Stewards are a waste of money.

I've waiting until this morning to post as I was fuming last night...

Firstly we were never going to win that game as we chased shadows for long periods and could get our game going at all. They shut us down very quickly and seeming despite all the shape changes allowed Lane i think it was to have almost a free role until the final change shape with Shorrock, By that point though we had Loft chasing down and trying but he wasn't likely to score. 

Craig Hicks though has had the singlemost worst refereeing performance I've witnessed at Vale Park. The only things consistent about him was he was consistently inconsistent, and the his desire to pull out a yellow for Vale challenges. I'm not naive enough to say we didn't commit fouls, we took lads to ground on the run and I get those but there multiple challenges of theirs that went unpunished.

The Uche incident for me was worse than the penalty call. He's been absolutely smashed to the ground and he's ignored it completely. Uche is in agony and distress and Hicks is waving the game on. Only when Ripley is screamed at by Crosby to bowl the ball out of play did it stop. Hicks never moved from his position on the edge of the Vale area, called on the Physios from the Lorne St and he was down by the Lorne St touchline. Not once did he check on his welfare. Poor poor referee and attitude to the welfare of the players.

Another moment of stupidity was where their lad spooned his cross out and he gave a corner.... mental.

The lad that won their penalty had a gravity problem in our area all afternoon and he didn't speak to him once about it.

For me the Chislett challenge before the penalty looked heavy, and could have been given as a free kick. I obviously agree the ball was won but the weigh of the challenge, I have seen them given regularly as free kicks. Craig Hicks chose not to however

This is where his inconsistency came into play again, Grant nicks the ball off their lads toes with zero momentum in the challenge and their lad predictably goes down like he's been shot by a Lorne Street Sniper. I think I had a bet on with my dad from the 10th minute that there would be a red card, a penalty or both

You can't do what that lad did and get on the pitch, frustrated as we all are.

Another ref that thinks everyone came to watch him, a game we were never going to win, but we probably did enough to secure a point.

PS Will Norris is a prize sausage (their keeper). With tensions running high, tries to incite the Hamil at the final whistle. I don't recall him getting any grief, all apathy all game was directed at the ref so it was strange behavior.

You could tell the ref was going to be a <ovf censored> when he held up play to go and check which blade of grass the ball was on when Portsmouth had their first corner. 

I’m sick of Crosby setting us up like the “plucky little Conference North team facing big Championship team” every time we play a team who used to be in the Premier League. These teams are in League One for a reason and we should be looking to beat them - not sit back, park the bus and try and hold out for a draw/sneaky single goal. 

He wants us playing like Maidstone yesterday with Ipswich having 38 shots on goal and Maidstone coming away with the win. 

Just like Middlesbrough. Our first quarter final of a meaningful trophy and we are set up like Curzon Ashton against Man United or something. Barely a shot on goal by our plucky little underdogs enjoying our day out in the cup. 

Most of our loanees probably weren’t even born when Bolton and Derby were in their prime. They’re hardly likely to be starstruck at such a big event. 

Charlton was about the only time he didn’t try this approach and we gave a way better performance

Am I going nuts in thinking the videos show it was a penalty?

And, at the very worst, it's an incredibly tight call and the ref had a split-second to make it in, and it's virtually impossible to categorically say the ref got it wrong?

And to add to that, the Chislett tackle was a completely fair tackle?

I think it being late on has magnified the emotional response. All getting a bit silly now. You're grown men.

The reaction isn’t to the penalty incident in isolation. It was on the back of 90 minutes of poor officiating.

He might have even got the penalty right, if he did he was probably guessing. 

Archived