onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Portsmouth (H) match thread - 27th Jan

robf

Advert

10 minutes ago, prof said:

Yet another Avanti West Coast saga for me to bore everyone with!

For the Charlton game my train was 90 mins late leaving Edinburgh, and I had to switch to the Hanley bus at Crewe but at least I got into the Railway just as the ref blew for kickoff.

Today (same train) it was 'on time' when I left home but 'cancelled' by the time I got to Waverley station. So it will be iFollow for me this afternoon, I'm afraid.

If I was you I'd drown my sorrows in Kay's Bar or the Ox....mega annoying, feel for yer mate

12 minutes ago, prof said:

For the Charlton game my train was 90 mins late leaving Edinburgh, and I had to switch to the Hanley bus at Crewe but at least I got into the Railway just as the ref blew for kickoff.

Today (same train) it was 'on time' when I left home but 'cancelled' by the time I got to Waverley station. So it will be iFollow for me this afternoon, I'm afraid.

Blimey that’s rubbish mate what a pity but symptomatic of the state our transport system is in. I sometimes have to travel to the dark satanic mills area s like bolton bury Huddersfield etc with work and I can either risk sitting  on the motorway for ever due to some incident or cope with the trauma of trying to catch a northern train out of Manchester.

get yaself a bacon butty and a beer and enjoy the game. 
I m just getting ready to pick mate up and I ll be on my way. ( to the vale not Edinburgh) 😂

10 minutes ago, prof said:

Thought I had it tough with 7 hour round trips for home games - little consolation but hopefully you get a refund (hoping you didn’t go to Reading too).  Do iFollow count Scotland as overseas? (For legal streaming purposes 😉)

17 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Despite crawling over the line at Fleetwood last weekend, Portsmouth are in awful form. Ideal time to play them. 

Yes this is Vale tho - when teams are in awful form, bottom 4 we end up giving them a lift and 3 points.

Come on Vale, 3 points would be nice today.

3 hours ago, SuperHuman said:

Rumours that Robbie Williams will be at the game, after being named club president last night.

If he is, get him on the pitch at half time, signing autographs and advertise the <ovf censored> out of it.

It sounds sad, but that would genuinely boost the attendance. 

Robbie wearing a Vale top - may sell some shirts.  Could be another source of income for Vale.

Remember when he was in Take That and wore a Vale shirt.  They were such demands, you could not leave them out on the washing lines as they got nicked.  

Having a long-term project is good, and I'm glad we're not abandoning it at the first sign of pressure. I broadly agree with the main ideas though think it's a tad idealistic in places.

However, it has to be balanced with enough fun on a game to game basis, otherwise you lose buy-in. It's all well and good being paid to think 5 years ahead, but you have to tread the line and ensure the supporters, who fund the project and look forward to Saturdays, are enjoying themselves enough to defer the payoff for potentially 5 years. We haven't won anywhere near enough games for over 12 months and it's hard to get everyone on board when Saturdays are a bit dull/rubbish.

Today is a great opportunity. Top of the table, big away following, but in poor form. 3 'exciting' loanees for us who hopefully represent the next stage in our strategy paying off. Could end the day in 14th/15th with games in hand, youngsters coming through, and 2 signings to go.

If there's a game to get the fans bought into the 5 year plan, this is it.

We'll get something today. A win might be asking a bit much but think we're good for a 2-2 draw. Despite being top, I don't look at their team and start quaking in my boots. Hopefully we don't give them too much respect and we try to play on the front foot as much as possible.

From personal perspective, illness means I’m yet again observing from the sidelines, which is more than frustrating.

Especially because, weirdly, a feel positive today which is usually a sure fire way of guaranteeing a defeat.

For me, the transfer window has been ok so far. We’ve replaced the loanees we’ve lost. Anyone who thought Ollie & Alfie would be hear beyond the end of the month needs to have a word with themselves and Balmer was a bit hit and miss. We’ve replaced them with players from… wait for it, Liverpool, Man Utd and Brighton (who are not exactly bad). Irrespective of how these loans turn out, they are at these clubs for a reason i.e. they must be bl**dy good footballers. Plus we haven’t (as yet, touch wood) lost any of our better players and Uche & Willo have improved things attacking-wise.

So frustrating (and incredibly so on occasion) as some of AC’s tactics are/have been, maybe this is what we have to accept, i.e. a poorer version of Premier League style tippy tappy, don’t give the ball away football (with the mistakes that inevitably follow) in order to secure loans like this. Who knows.

I fancy us for at least a point today (which I think is needed given the recent inactivity) but, like I say, it’s usually the opposite that happens so I’ll apologise in advance if we get stuffed!

23 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

From personal perspective, illness means I’m yet again observing from the sidelines, which is more than frustrating.

Especially because, weirdly, a feel positive today which is usually a sure fire way of guaranteeing a defeat.

For me, the transfer window has been ok so far. We’ve replaced the loanees we’ve lost. Anyone who thought Ollie & Alfie would be hear beyond the end of the month needs to have a word with themselves and Balmer was a bit hit and miss. We’ve replaced them with players from… wait for it, Liverpool, Man Utd and Brighton (who are not exactly bad). Irrespective of how these loans turn out, they are at these clubs for a reason i.e. they must be bl**dy good footballers. Plus we haven’t (as yet, touch wood) lost any of our better players and Uche & Willo have improved things attacking-wise.

So frustrating (and incredibly so on occasion) as some of AC’s tactics are/have been, maybe this is what we have to accept, i.e. a poorer version of Premier League style tippy tappy, don’t give the ball away football (with the mistakes that inevitably follow) in order to secure loans like this. Who knows.

I fancy us for at least a point today (which I think is needed given the recent inactivity) but, like I say, it’s usually the opposite that happens so I’ll apologise in advance if we get stuffed!

Liverpool play 433. Utd also play 4 at the back with more mix upfront. Our formation, which pretty much through the whole 2023 produced the most dire, boring and losing football, is actually not helpful in the loan market either. 

Archived