onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Barnsley (H) match thread - Boxing Day

robf

6 minutes ago, Raveninblack said:

I know WIlson can’t last a whole game and he is a class player but play him to half time and then substitute him and allow him to help get us in front and for once defend a lead but Friday isn’t going to be easy against Jordan Rhodes et al

totally agree it he's on the bench he's fit enough to play some part. Start him & assess at half time 🤦🏼‍♂️ 

• Like 1

Advert

47 minutes ago, MBE said:

When your manager thinks your GK is the teams deep lying playmaker your in trouble!

I stopped counting after I ran out of fingers on 1 hand to count but it’s beyond ridiculous the number of times we win a free kick or throw,30 yards from the opponents goal and Ripley has the ball at his feet on the edge of our area.

Every time re started the game after they had scored, we passed it straight back to Ripley

• Like 1

Well I guess this thread is not going be a happy one as most probably left after 3rd goal .

Second half was superb in a word we deserved score 6 scored 2 had one disallowed and managed not score from six yards out on 2 occasions 

First half is what lost us the game there first goal looked offside to me there second Debrahs being done for pace lads pulled it back and there lads put it away superbly third goal he as scored a worldie after lofts lost the ball and on half time they had a free header .

Shocking stuff in first half as fans left in numbers .

I'm.glad I stayed I saw so much good about Vale second half that I'm looking forwards to seeing more of Uche  with Wilson and Lomax instead of Massey such a positive player brilliant in fact as was young Shorrock. 

So we may have lost v a team who are expected in the play offs I think they may be, but once we passed it well second half we showed what a real good team we are .

Crosby lost us that by picking players who do not have that winning mentality .

I think we all know who they are .

Second half more of that Vale we deserved win in the end but those bleeding tykes well they have had a sign over us this season .

UTV 

Edited by Devine intervention

1 hour ago, Bycarsbill said:

I tend to agree with you, but suspect that ship has sailed!

Absolutely it has. It was just in reply to someone talking about the turnaround he’s made at Cheltenham. Wouldnt be surprised to see him raiding us for some players, hopefully we can have a clear out too. 

1 hour ago, MBE said:

Here’s a stat….

Ripley has had more touches of the ball than any other GK in the EFL!!!

Didn’t Yatesy say that stat came from one of the groundsmen when he was doing commentary today? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Conrad said:

I agree, but why did Crosby wait till we were 0-3 down before changing it, if he had changed it sooner, before it was too late, we’d have got a point today.Lomax did more than Massey has in the last 3 games, also beginning to think Ripley isn’t as good as he thinks he is, he never moved for the first goal.

I wouldn’t be questioning Ripley for the first goal, their guy has a free header 8 yards out.  Maybe question the marking which has been shocking all season.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Packmoor_vale said:

But u didn’t against Wigan 

Didn’t what??? 

Just as an aside, if you look on Wigan’s forum their players were (quite rightly) getting slated for having been on the bevy in Glasgow just 48 hours before the game.

Now I’m not saying this had anything to do with what was generally viewed as an insipid (Vale-like) first 45 mins, but…

Anyway, we’ll call it an outstanding Vale performance if you like. Still doesn’t deflect from todays shocker, last weeks shocker, or the Boro shocker.

Second half was good but we can’t keep not turning up in the first half, it’s just not good enough.

At the start of the season the football we were playing was good, so even if we didn’t quite get the result I was quite happy.

Then the goals dried up. Again, we were playing decent stuff so I thought we would turn it around and had faith.

Now, however, although we can score, we only do it when we can be bothered to play on the front foot. That first half was the worst I have seen Vale play in a long, long time.

The game really changed when the two young lads came on. Alfie dropped in and the balls he was spraying left and right were brilliant. That is something we need to make more of. We need to be able to play it long and short, not just tippy tappy.

We were also more assertive and went forward much more, looking to run a t players. I’m more than happy for them to keep possession and play backwards if necessary. But how many times have we had a throw in in line with the penalty area only for it to end up at Ripley’s feet. That must be addressed.

Big shout out to Wilson. Best thing we can do is give him a longer contract, tear up loft and uche’s, and put it towards one good striker. Loft had a good first 10 minutes (albeit not doing a lot) and then completely faded away. Uche put himself about but was still pretty embarrassing to watch. It’s like Bambi on ice.

We also need to pick a back three and stick with it. Let’s have some consistency and generate some understanding at the back. For me, Smith in the middle as the enforcer, with Deborah and Lowe either side (Jones when back). Iacovitti, for me, continually loses his man at the back post.

Lastky, the two lads that came on were brilliant. Rhys didn’t do much and was very ineffective. We need to use these boys as back ups and not over use them. They’re not all ready yet. Lots of potential for sure though.

Anyone know where Sang and Cass were today?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JoeB2 said:

Picture this squad but with competent management. Wild, or Duff.

We’ve got some good footballers.

Wild is currently enjoying some success so why would he come to Vale, whilst Duff has recently failed so why would we want him?  Either way Crosby, Wild, Duff or whoever may have “some good footballers” but they also have an unbalanced squad, which has 2 of our best midfielders currently injured, piss poor strikers and shaky, error prone defenders to contend with.

Ripley 5 distribution decent, soft goals

Yak 5 not the player he was before injury

Lowe 4 too slow for me at centre half

Debrah 6 nice touches and link up at times

Grant 6 much better second half

Massey 5 ok at times

Devine 6 I’d like to see Blaster and him together in place of Ojo, see what that’s like, as he was actually a little impactful

Garrity 6 asked to do it all, so ends up not doing anything with total focus

Chizzy 6 again a victim of having little support and having to come deep

Loft 5 put himself about

Wilson 7 different team with him and a change of formation

Uche 6 fought and linked up well

Walters 4 not fair to just throw him in, but did nothing

2 hours ago, Conrad said:

I agree, but why did Crosby wait till we were 0-3 down before changing it, if he had changed it sooner, before it was too late, we’d have got a point today.Lomax did more than Massey has in the last 3 games, also beginning to think Ripley isn’t as good as he thinks he is, he never moved for the first goal.

Can’t disagree with much of that although the lads header for the first goal was really well placed. I was more disappointed with there not being a defender within 5 yards of him in our 6 yard box.

• Like 3