onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Middlesborough (H) FLC QF Match Thread 19th Dec

Birches Head Fred

2 minutes ago, Warren said:

At a player by player level Middlesbrough had higher skill levels. It enabled them to play with the ball at higher pace and coordination. They also defended in every way better - though we were unlucky not to score first half.  They were a much better side I'm afraid. 

we definitely have enough in this squad to have made a game of it tho mate. That's what makes it more frustrating, we were pathetic at times. I've said it before, Andy Crosby picks the team but he is incapable of changing a game once it's started. That's why he's no manager for me. He can't manage a game of football & when things need changing he's so out of his depth. One thing Clarke was good at was game management because he's a manager. 

Advert

7 minutes ago, headsup said:

Please point out where in my post I said the fans were at fault, Joe? Of course they weren’t, football is played on the pitch and we were outclassed all over the park, but the fans were still objectively shocking. You can’t deny that. 

There was absolutely nothing at all to shout about, nothing, in all my 60 odd years following the Vale I can't remember such a lack lustre, boring, abject cup tie, a quarter final at that and that feeling filtered into the stands hence the lack of atmosphere.

On 18/12/2023 at 20:41, JoeB2 said:

Bang up for this now. Into these.

Ripley

Debrah Lowe Yak

1 hour ago, JoeB2 said:

Picking a 32yo at CB (released by Salford in the summer) against the pace of their forwards was stupid. We conceded 2 to a poor League 1 team three days ago with 2 very poor goals. Why did we persevere with the same backline? Because they won their last game? It was obvious 10 minutes in that Lowe was miles out of his depth.

1 hour ago, JoeB2 said:

I'm not sure on what planet Andy Crosby looks as his defenders and settles on Debrah, Lowe, Balmer.

Debrah, Smith, Yak is quite plainly the best option.

Isn't hindsight wonderful?!

🤣

To top such a disappointing night off i won't be purchasing food or drink from Vale again. Rollover burger was awful & dry as a nuns fanny flap! Bovril hasn't seen a gravy granule in its life & my snickers nearly snapped my tooth off 😂 just a bad night all round to be honest, was good to see the ground so busy but a shame we couldn't give the fans anything to shout about 

9 minutes ago, Vtid said:

we definitely have enough in this squad to have made a game of it tho mate. That's what makes it more frustrating, we were pathetic at times. I've said it before, Andy Crosby picks the team but he is incapable of changing a game once it's started. That's why he's no manager for me. He can't manage a game of football & when things need changing he's so out of his depth. One thing Clarke was good at was game management because he's a manager. 

I agree to some extent. But the individual skill level of the Middlesborough players was much better.

4 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Isn't hindsight wonderful?!

🤣

Very much so, I never thought I would agree with Crosby's team but after Saturday, that would have been my team, other than Debrah, I honestly don't think there is much between the centre-backs and they all have a mistake in them.  Smith was really poor during the winless run and desrved to be dropped, for me every defender who does not play seems to be a better option, I have no doubt we will make a couple of changes there at the weekend and then a few mistakes will be made as Debrah aside they are not league 1 players.

27 minutes ago, Valiiant said:

I know we weren't always great under Clarke. But does anyone think for a single moment we would have given such a feeble effort tonight under him? He would have had us ploughing into them all over the pitch.

Crosby is trying to be something he's not and will never be. How much longer do we have to endure his <ovf censored> for?

I can remember a few games under Clarke when we put in more embarrassing performances than that.  Cambridge and Burton at home last season spring to mind.

The fact is, they were a level above us.  We put them under pressure early leading to two of their's getting bookings but they got a flukey first goal and heaven knows what Ripley was doing with that ball out for the second.  

When we played Mansfield in the last round everyone was predicting defeat.  This time folk were talking about beating Championship team who had won away in every round before tonight. 

6 minutes ago, blackdog said:

There was absolutely nothing at all to shout about, nothing, in all my 60 odd years following the Vale I can't remember such a lack lustre, boring, abject cup tie, a quarter final at that and that feeling filtered into the stands hence the lack of atmosphere.

I agree it was crap but can’t subscribe to the idea that good support requires a good performance. If anything, the team are in direst need of support when they’re getting spanked. 

It’s probably idealistic but I’d rather lose 8 nil singing than lose 8 nil in silence.

1 hour ago, Packmoor_vale said:

Carol can’t be happy with that

With the rumoured figures of how much she's spent on the club already, I don't know how she bears it all. If it was me watching that turgid dross tonight having paid so many millions my blood pressure would be so high you could only measure it with a <ovf censored> Oil Derrick.

28 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

Debrah admitted the plan tonight was to play 'our way', 'through the thirds'.

We knew of this draw over a month ago, had loads of time to analyse and prepare for it, and decided we'd try and pass out from the back. It beggars belief.

Playing our way through the thirds has yielded 2 wins in 12 in League 1 - but let's crack on with it against a team a league higher who clearly play possession football. 

Tonight needed a front-footed aggressive style. Again, it's a common sense, gut instinct approach, which Crosby doesn't seem capable of. 

Every week he stays is only prolonging the inevitible. What's the point?

3 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I can remember a few games under Clarke when we put in more embarrassing performances than that.  Cambridge and Burton at home last season spring to mind.

The fact is, they were a level above us.  We put them under pressure early leading to two of their's getting bookings but they got a flukey first goal and heaven knows what Ripley was doing with that ball out for the second.  

When we played Mansfield in the last round everyone was predicting defeat.  This time folk were talking about beating Championship team who had won away in every round before tonight. 

They are a level above Exeter too but it took a penalty to give them a 3-2 win in the last round. The only consolation I can take from tonight is that it wasn’t live on UK TV because for 70 minutes that was embarrassing. Their second goal came from our free kick on the half way line. 

5 minutes ago, Doha said:

With the rumoured figures of how much she's spent on the club already, I don't know how she bears it all. If it was me watching that turgid dross tonight having paid so many millions my blood pressure would be so high you could only measure it with a <ovf censored> Oil Derrick.

if she has its been spent in the wrong areas as it aint on the pitch.

Archived