onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Middlesborough (H) FLC QF Match Thread 19th Dec

Birches Head Fred

So, enough about possible crowd figures, let's get to the game itself :

It's an interesting tie and one we can approach in a positive vein. 

I assume it's played to a conclusion on the night so no playing for a replay.

A win for either team guarantees a two-legged semi final against Premier League opposition and all of the ticket sales, tv money, advertising and general kudos that goes with it.

A defeat to 'Boro will not be the end of the World as it's highly unlikely that we would beat any of the teams left in the competition over two legs - however that's not the attitude to approach the tie and who knows, football is definitely a funny old game.

So it's pretty much a 'free hit' with nothing to lose and everything to gain. 

Today must have given the lads a fantastic boost and I'm sure they will all be eager to be on the team sheet come 6.45 Tuesday.

Can't wait and whatever the result I hope it's a great night and hopefully we can be victorious.  

Advert

4 minutes ago, Birches Head Fred said:

So, enough about possible crowd figures, let's get to the game itself :

It's an interesting tie and one we can approach in a positive vein. 

I assume it's played to a conclusion on the night so no playing for a replay.

A win for either team guarantees a two-legged semi final against Premier League opposition and all of the ticket sales, tv money, advertising and general kudos that goes with it.

A defeat to 'Boro will not be the end of the World as it's highly unlikely that we would beat any of the teams left in the competition over two legs - however that's not the attitude to approach the tie and who knows, football is definitely a funny old game.

So it's pretty much a 'free hit' with nothing to lose and everything to gain. 

Today must have given the lads a fantastic boost and I'm sure they will all be eager to be on the team sheet come 6.45 Tuesday.

Can't wait and whatever the result I hope it's a great night and hopefully we can be victorious.  

Carabao Cup it goes straight to pens if level after the 90 so at least won’t have to deal with extra time again.

I’m excited for it. Seems ages since we played them but seem to recall last time they came here they had Merson and Gazza and were very lucky to escape with a win against us. Remember us beating them early into Brian Robsons time in charge as well through Lee Glover. Will of course be great to welcome Bernie back to VP too.

Believe they’ve had some players out injured but obviously got a good win at Swansea today so not hampering them that much. In all likelihood our run ends Tuesday but just give it our best shot. Showed today we are not a bad side ourselves and you never know. Pass it with the same tempo as we did today and let’s see what happens.

Carabao Cup it goes straight to pens if level after the 90 so at least won’t have to deal with extra time again.
I’m excited for it. Seems ages since we played them but seem to recall last time they came here they had Merson and Gazza and were very lucky to escape with a win against us. Remember us beating them early into Brian Robsons time in charge as well through Lee Glover. Will of course be great to welcome Bernie back to VP too.
Believe they’ve had some players out injured but obviously got a good win at Swansea today so not hampering them that much. In all likelihood our run ends Tuesday but just give it our best shot. Showed today we are not a bad side ourselves and you never know. Pass it with the same tempo as we did today and let’s see what happens.
Was that the game where we absolutely hammered them but Schwarzer had a worldie? Standing ovation for Vale at the end of that game despite us losing if I remember rightly

18 minutes ago, Guppys left peg said:

Yes that’s the one. Think Lee Mills could have had a hattrick if it wasn’t for him. 

Wasn't there a rumour that Gascoigne had travelled with them but spent the evening drinking in the New Inn?

The one we won early on in Robson's  time was the 2-1 early in the '94 season. Boro were unbeaten but Lee Glover (later to be crowned as Britain's Brainiest Footballer) scored, as did Naylor. 

A badly edited clip is here although I have a weird false memory from this where I was so sure the Middlesbrough fans were housed in the back of the Railway end. There's a shot of Lorne Street where Mussy takes a goal kick (1m 20s)  and I'm not sure who is housed there- the lack of replica shirts looks odd now.

Really looking forward to this. Absolutely nothing to lose & everything to gain. Thought today was a great warm up for Tuesday night, crowd was at it & the players obviously turned up.

If we can be in the game come 70 odd minutes then we've got a real shot at causing an upset. I'd fancy us on pens as well, despite last week's loss, so the fact it goes straight to pens after 90 mins definitely works in our favour.

I have got this feeling we might just see a peno shootout. I'm quietly optimistic. They will be a quality side no doubt, but we're not a million lightyears away from them in terms of league standings. An up & down Championship side with a few injuries, versus an up & down League 1 side with a few knocks.

If we show up, we've got a great chance at what would probably be a once in a lifetime opportunity at a 2 x legged Major cup semi final. Seize the moment Vale.

Wasn't there a rumour that Gascoigne had travelled with them but spent the evening drinking in the New Inn?

The one we won early on in Robson's  time was the 2-1 early in the '94 season. Boro were unbeaten but Lee Glover (later to be crowned as Britain's Brainiest Footballer) scored, as did Naylor. 

A badly edited clip is
although I have a weird false memory from this where I was so sure the Middlesbrough fans were housed in the back of the Railway end. There's a shot of Lorne Street where Mussy takes a goal kick (1m 20s)  and I'm not sure who is housed there- the lack of replica shirts looks odd now.
The link to the clip is actually Huddersfield Vs vale full match

27 minutes ago, chickensteve said:
54 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

A badly edited clip is
although I have a weird false memory from this where I was so sure the Middlesbrough fans were housed in the back of the Railway end. There's a shot of Lorne Street where Mussy takes a goal kick (1m 20s)  and I'm not sure who is housed there- the lack of replica shirts looks odd now.

The link to the clip is actually Huddersfield Vs vale full match

This one should work. Think YouTube started playing the next video while I was typing.

1 hour ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

A badly edited clip is here although I have a weird false memory from this where I was so sure the Middlesbrough fans were housed in the back of the Railway end. There's a shot of Lorne Street where Mussy takes a goal kick (1m 20s)  and I'm not sure who is housed there- the lack of replica shirts looks odd now.

Yeah Boro had the Hamil and we gave them that old cage section at the back of the Railway Bycars side as needed provide seating option too. That would have been the last season of us doing that as the Hamil was converted to seating after that season. Just amazed we allowed home fans to be in front though.

Boro did get their own back on us at Ayrsome Park later that season though and gave us a bit of a battering.

Yeah Boro had the Hamil and we gave them that old cage section at the back of the Railway Bycars side as needed provide seating option too. That would have been the last season of us doing that as the Hamil was converted to seating after that season. Just amazed we allowed home fans to be in front though.
Boro did get their own back on us at Ayrsome Park later that season though and gave us a bit of a battering.
But when the stand was built, segregation was unheard of except for seated areas. There was the option of caging the Paddock to match the stand initially.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

Bought my ticket this evening. As with a lot of people, family and work commitments mean that I can't attend every game, particularly at this time of year, so I think a lot of people will be in a similar position to me. I think there will be a few more sales over the next couple of days as many people get paid before Christmas too.

Archived