onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

groundhog day

RayWalkers40yarder

Advert

4 hours ago, Emile said:

I don't want to play I told you so's cause it gets us nowhere. But I was given so much stick for saying we will be in a relegation scrap in May when he was given the job. 

I'm no fortune teller - it was plainly obvious that we were not improving the backroom from last season which nearly cost us our place in league one. 

All this money stuff I'm not buying either. We have a competitive squad in all areas of the pitch but striker. We've wasted wages on players we shouldn't have signed and panicked with all 4 of our striking options. Id be amazed if we weren't in the top half of the league for playing budgets - it's just being wasted by poor squad recruitment to one system, and a piss poor coaching team that wouldn't get a job in a pub team if it wasn't for DF's other business. 

Who shouid we not have signed

Despite what we all think as fans we are a small club by league one standards who can't afford to pay the going rate for players especially strikers.So it not difficult to predict a relegation battle, every team below 12th is in one. Having said that things need to change.

On 25/11/2023 at 18:35, Vtid said:

why? 

Just my take, I’m never in any rush to sack a manager.  For the record I’d have stuck by Clarke til the end of last season.  Obviously if Crosby was sacked tomorrow there could be little argument.  For me despite results performances are still decent, Cheltenham aside.  If performances dropped off then fine he’d have to go.  We’ve supposedly got players coming back into contention and a big cup game on the horizon so I’d stick rather than twist right now.

On 26/11/2023 at 06:53, dishydave said:

Despite what we all think as fans we are a small club by league one standards who can't afford to pay the going rate for players especially strikers.So it not difficult to predict a relegation battle, every team below 12th is in one. Having said that things need to change.

I’d argue that from mid table onwards it’s much of a muchness and you’d expect us to be well in the thick of that bunch.

Unless we’ve got a bottom four wage budget, we should be at the very least competitive with about half of the teams in this league. 

On 26/11/2023 at 06:53, dishydave said:

I think that there has already been too much change, players, staff etc. The club has lost a lot of the history of Port Vale. I understand that change needs to happen but it is best if it is incremental. 

2 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I think that there has already been too much change, players, staff etc. The club has lost a lot of the history of Port Vale. I understand that change needs to happen but it is best if it is incremental. 

What history have we lost ?

Can't imagine in years to come that any who were released in ' that cull ' will ever be fondly remembered in the Port Vale annals .

3 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I agree that turnover has been more rapid than is usual at a lot of clubs in the last couple few seasons - virtually replacing a team each summer hasn't helped long term planning.  There are some elements of our history that I'm very glad we've lost though - our previous useless owner, the Railway Paddock bogs, and a sackful of players who couldn't cut it, to name a few things.

I don't think the club has lost its history or soul though - we have to move with the times, whether that is in terms of the ground, the backroom set up, or the playing staff.  Sad to lose Speedie, Garlick, etc. etc, but I'm still happier with where we are now than I was 4 years ago, even given the present league form.  Either Andy Crosby turns things round so we can move forward, or we appoint another team of people who keep us in this league.  Vale fans are the one constant who keep the thread of club history going.  I think Carol has got more things right than wrong, but she is a moderniser, and I'm grateful for that.

The change is incremental in one sense, it's just happening in rapid increments rather than how it did previously - and maybe there is a reason why it had to in order to save the club. We were about to go out of the league not too long ago. I still feel we are a wonderful club with a rich history - as you say, change needs to happen, but we all have a selective view of which changes are best.    

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

What history have we lost ?

Can't imagine in years to come that any who were released in ' that cull ' will ever be fondly remembered in the Port Vale annals .

I used to like watching Cristian Montano on one of his surging forward runs. He wasn't culled, just didn't want to play for DC

Archived