onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January Transfers and Rumours

werstayinup

Advert

I think the future looks bright for us regarding players who could be worth money to us in the future(the model the club wants to use) we have Plant who i strongly believe will become a big money sale(i would love to see him shine in his natural position),they have high hopes for Debrah who is getting better the more he plays,the American lad they hope will be a surprise along with our own Walters and Shorrock,even Garrity if he continues to play like he is.

The one that seems to have failed SO FAR to take any chance is McDermott imo but there is still time for him

• Like 4

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

I think the future looks bright for us regarding players who could be worth money to us in the future(the model the club wants to use) we have Plant who i strongly believe will become a big money sale(i would love to see him shine in his natural position),they have high hopes for Debrah who is getting better the more he plays,the American lad they hope will be a surprise along with our own Walters and Shorrock,even Garrity if he continues to play like he is.

The one that seems to have failed SO FAR to take any chance is McDermott imo but there is still time for him

On the subject of McDermott obviously the club will know better than me on it but I’m not sure what good if any this loan at Rochdale is doing. Doesn’t appear he even makes the matchday squad all the time less get time on the pitch. Maybe better to recall him and send him elsewhere?

Edited by Guppys left peg
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, Guppys left peg said:

On the subject of McDermott obviously the club will know better than me on it but I’m not sure what good if any this loan at Rochdale is doing. Doesn’t appear he even makes the matchday squad all the time less get time on the pitch. Maybe better to recall him and send him elsewhere?

I agree I think we should have brought him back. He should certainly have been in the squad for The Trophy games. He's generally been an unused substitute.  

I expect we will look for another high calibre youth as a loan for LWB in Jan.

No idea where we are with our budget but why would it be different from last season where we said we didn't want to make many signings in Jan.

I'm fully bracing myself for a bit about 'value in the market' and getting better value in the summer. It makes so much sense to spend the budget in the summer as atleast you get a full season out of your signings. 

Hopefully we learn the lessons of last season and don't go backwards or let players go on their terms (i.e hall). Also we gotta hope we keep hold of arblaster and devine.

7 hours ago, Guppys left peg said:

Think he's been injured.

6 hours ago, werstayinup said:

He has now fallen behind a lot of others at the club,Walters is obviously one who is in front of him now

He's a completely different type of midfield player to Walters so I'm not really sure either is behind or ahead of the other. Many things make a successful footballer. None of the three is perfect; or anywhere close to being worth a million. When compared to the other 2 McDermott posses a better first touch, relatively 2 footed (Plant has shown some progress with his left) and his preferred foot is his left; which is a significant advantage in terms of making it. Left footed players are over represented in the professional game, compared to the general population.  Plant has obviously made the most progress, although personally I currently don't see him as a Premiership player in waiting.  I could see his doing OK in The Championship in a couple of years. There's just a little bit of quality and composure on the ball which both Arblaster and Devine have which mark them out as elite; rather than merely good players. I don't see a lot, or any others, McDermott is currently behind, apart from Plant. That's not to say McDermott will make the grade, most promising 18 year old players don't, sadly.

55 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

I expect we will look for another high calibre youth as a loan for LWB in Jan.

No idea where we are with our budget but why would it be different from last season where we said we didn't want to make many signings in Jan.

I'm fully bracing myself for a bit about 'value in the market' and getting better value in the summer. It makes so much sense to spend the budget in the summer as atleast you get a full season out of your signings. 

Hopefully we learn the lessons of last season and don't go backwards or let players go on their terms (i.e hall). Also we gotta hope we keep hold of arblaster and devine.

They'd probably be more inclined stick around if those idiots who revel in dishing out abuse would zip it. I honestly think the team and manager were taken aback by the over-the-top reaction last Saturday. 

There's probably an evening's drinking and discussion to be had about why some of our support has this tendency. All l know is l rarely come across it at other clubs - at least, not ones who are playing what is pretty much their level for many years.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, JRC said:

I agree I think we should have brought him back. He should certainly have been in the squad for The Trophy games. He's generally been an unused substitute.  

Isn't there's some clause (unless it's changed) that allows you to play loaned out youngsters in that competition anyhow? So we could have included him anyhow (presuming the club wanted to).

Just as an example of that... in the 2022-23 season, James Plant was on loan at Nantwich Town until the 24th October but despite being out on loan he came on as a sub for Vale in the Trophy game against Wolves U21 on the 18th October.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JRC said:

He's a completely different type of midfield player to Walters so I'm not really sure either is behind or ahead of the other. Many things make a successful footballer. None of the three is perfect; or anywhere close to being worth a million. When compared to the other 2 McDermott posses a better first touch, relatively 2 footed (Plant has shown some progress with his left) and his preferred foot is his left; which is a significant advantage in terms of making it. Left footed players are over represented in the professional game, compared to the general population.  Plant has obviously made the most progress, although personally I currently don't see him as a Premiership player in waiting.  I could see his doing OK in The Championship in a couple of years. There's just a little bit of quality and composure on the ball which both Arblaster and Devine have which mark them out as elite; rather than merely good players. I don't see a lot, or any others, McDermott is currently behind, apart from Plant. That's not to say McDermott will make the grade, most promising 18 year old players don't, sadly.

Rhys Walters will have a good career. Looks unreal for his age & is only going to get better 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, robf said:

Isn't there's some clause (unless it's changed) that allows you to play loaned out youngsters in that competition anyhow? So we could have included him anyhow (presuming the club wanted to).

Just as an example of that... in the 2022-23 season, James Plant was on loan at Nantwich Town until the 24th October but despite being out on loan he came on as a sub for Vale in the Trophy game against Wolves U21 on the 18th October.

It's in the rules for the competition - although we would have to get the consent of Rochdale.  That shouldn't be hard as we can just recall him.

8 hours ago, Vtid said:

Rhys Walters will have a good career. Looks unreal for his age & is only going to get better 

Walters looks a good prospect but there is a long way to go if he is to have a good career. It will be interesting to see how he looks when he plays a league game, which I suspect he will towards the end of the season if we are safely in midtable. Age wise there isn't much between him and McDermott.  McDermott is relatively young for his age group, Walters relatively old for his. Plant is the old man of the group as he is (just) 19. McDermott and Walters are closer in age than McDermott and Plant. They'll all develop at different rates and all 3 will have a period of poor form, whether they make it or not. Hopefully the crowd won't be on their backs when they do. I would say that Walters is ahead of where James Plant was at this time last season.  Plant and Walters are almost exactly 12 months apart. If Walters can make the progress Plant made over the last 12 months he'll be a very useful player.

Edited by JRC
  • Like 2

Problem is we are over indexed in central midfield, if Walters or McDermott were recognised left sided players I’m sure they would be featuring more in the first team. The signing we are looking from America must be very special as I cannot see a reason to sign another central midfielder when we are very much lacking in other areas on the field.