onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

the lucks run out.

RayWalkers40yarder

Advert

This side reminds me a lot of 2000/2001, great footballing side but when we think of the LDV win and the superb run of 1 loss in 20 plus games, that first half of the season we lost a lot of games as we lacked goals... it was only the arrival of Brooker which turned it into what was a great side.

26 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

Our attack is non existent so not really sure what you are talking about.

11 goals scored in 11 games is not good at all

Against Bolton last Saturday we had 16 shots with 6 on target. That's not bad. Bolton had 14 shots, with 5 on target but scored. They scored because we gave the ball away when pushed up to attack. Against Burton we had 19 shots with 9 on target scoring twice. Pity our defending was so poor. 

I'm not going to analyse last night, but frankly I feared the worst when I saw the team sheet. As I say we have a lot of games to play. 

1 hour ago, Warren said:

Against Bolton last Saturday we had 16 shots with 6 on target. That's not bad. Bolton had 14 shots, with 5 on target but scored. They scored because we gave the ball away when pushed up to attack. Against Burton we had 19 shots with 9 on target scoring twice. Pity our defending was so poor. 

I'm not going to analyse last night, but frankly I feared the worst when I saw the team sheet. As I say we have a lot of games to play. 

I love how we have to keep going back over to previous games.

Stats, especially shots off target means fook all.

Boltons keeper and defence had a very comfortable afternoon.

1 hour ago, Brian Johnson said:

I love how we have to keep going back over to previous games.

Stats, especially shots off target means fook all.

Boltons keeper and defence had a very comfortable afternoon.

They certainly had a comfortable first half. We did better in the second half. I thought our tactics first half v Bolton were completely wrong. We needed a get stuck in match and not a get everyman behind the ball tactic. That said our forwards were rubbish first half in that game including not retaining possession. Hence the half time subs. 

I think we need to adjust a little bit of reality. Bolton is a bigger club with more support. Their budget is higher. But to be fair we have punched above our weight at times this season. I think Crosby is under a bit of pressure and he needs to get through the month with relative success. That is not crashing down the league, winning the match v Mansfield and progressing in the EFL trophy. 

Despite our good start the same flaws have not been addressed. Last season we won most homes in a turgid 1-0 manner. Our biggest win all season on maybe 3 occasions at most ? Was Burton FGR and Bristol by a two goal margin. 

Quite simply we don't score enough or kill teams off . Not so much Reading but Carlisle and Northampton in particular we've got to put it to bed by becoming more ruthless. We weren't hanging on as such but 1-0 is precarious. 

The football is so much better but I don't envisage us winning many comfortable games 2-0 or 3-0 at a canter. We just haven't got the firepower however nice the football is up to the 18 yard box. 

I wouldn't say luck has run out I'd more just say the squad when stretched has inadequate replacements. 

The lack of a 4th striker was baffling a month ago . Now it's just mind blowing. 

You make your own luck in life. Overall we're still a bit higher in the table than I expected us to be and have played some nice football at times this season. We have glaring issues that need sorting out. But one thing I don't get is Crosby's reluctance to try a different formation. How many more times are we going to see midfielders playing at wing-back this season?  If Clark and Grant aren't available to start then change the sodding formation and stop putting square pegs in round holes. It's not fair on those players and just won't work out against decent sides.

1 minute ago, Valiiant said:

You make your own luck in life. Overall we're still a bit higher in the table than I expected us to be and have played some nice football at times this season. We have glaring issues that need sorting out. But one thing I don't get is Crosby's reluctance to try a different formation. How many more times are we going to see midfielders playing at wing-back this season?  If Clark and Grant aren't available to start then change the sodding formation and stop putting square pegs in round holes. It's not fair on those players and just won't work out against decent sides.

Clark and Grant seem to often be missing for fitness reasons. 

No one will ever convince me Sang is a decent RWB and as well as Plant has done he's a rookie 17/18 year old who's a midfielder with an eye for goal. 

Grant is the new Hussey in my eyes. Came with glowing pomp and ceremony and yet to justify it. Clark unfortunately has probably missed more than he's played. 

7 hours ago, valefan16 said:

This side reminds me a lot of 2000/2001, great footballing side but when we think of the LDV win and the superb run of 1 loss in 20 plus games, that first half of the season we lost a lot of games as we lacked goals... it was only the arrival of Brooker which turned it into what was a great side.

Can Uche do the same?

No one will ever convince me Sang is a decent RWB and as well as Plant has done he's a rookie 17/18 year old who's a midfielder with an eye for goal. 
Grant is the new Hussey in my eyes. Came with glowing pomp and ceremony and yet to justify it. Clark unfortunately has probably missed more than he's played. 

I've thought the same about Grant but he's got 4 assists in 7 games so he's not that bad statistically.

2 hours ago, dishydave said:
4 hours ago, darren1810 said:

I've thought the same about Grant but he's got 4 assists in 7 games so he's not that bad statistically.

Shocked me that stat as I've been really underwhelmed. Doesn't seem fit to me.

Just shows what I know. 

10 hours ago, RayWalkers40yarder said:

bump . just to save me repeating myself. Crosby is on borrowed time. unless we are now a performances > results club

This does my head in.  M8 - if we're that bad then dont go; sod off down the 500 - go see Stjoke or Crewe.

For me we're playing some of he bet football i've seen Vale play in 46 years of supporting them.  As others have said we're short on scoring goals - we've just recruited another striker and, at some point, Loft will be fit, too.  Personally i'd like to see Thomas played more as he is like a cultured Harrat.

A lot of people were getting VERY carried away when we were, briefly, second.  But as others have said on here - we're not as good as some think and better than others think. Including you.  This team is on the up - i believe we'll add more to the squad in the Jan window and we'll end up in the top half of the league. 

BUT fans need to grow a paid and get behind the team.  I see crazy and stupid comments on social media saying Debra is sh1te - he needs to be given a chance to bed into the team - if we give that chance he'll become a fans-favourite.  Likewise others already calling for Crosby to be sacked.  Nuts!  Others threatening that the fans are going to get ugly.  For gods sake grow up.

Get behind the team or dont bother going.

If you listen to Crosby, he says we are doing lots of the right things. Playing decent football, improving all the time.

Final thirds are where it counts, and we have been lacking in both recently. 

But final thirds are made by playing good football.

It's so obvious what is lacking, and it's being addressed.

So easy, and lazy, to criticise the obvious that isn't working. Yet.

Much more difficult to notice progress and enjoy the evolution, and simply get behind the team.

Archived