onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer signings

Playa Amodores

24 minutes ago, rob1983 said:

Grant's injury record was/is terrible emoji2958.png

Grant played 112 games for Plymouth scoring 12 goals in his time there. Of course those games would be higher without covid-19 suspending the league. He was injured quite badly and had made some progress in coming back from that. As Plymouth needed to significantly strengthen their squad to play at Championship level he stood little chance of being retained.

When things don't initially work out for us of course people will say we should have avoided him. I'm one who has sympathy with that but an informed punt is sometimes worth taking. We may end up with a better player than we otherwise would have. 

Wilson is a difficult one. When he came back we were having difficulty signing strikers of the right calibre at wages we can afford. He was therefore a reasonable risk to take. I'm sensing that it is isn't his inherent fitness that caused the problem this time, but a mixture of rough treatment and bad luck in a game many will say he should not be starting in. 

Advert

25 minutes ago, Vtid said:

Decent strikers are expensive we all know that i'm not so sure about the wing back situation. I feel we could of got one or two more in that position myself even if it was a loan etc to compete or fill in for injuries.  Goalkeepers are not easy to come by & we managed to sort that out which we've struggled to do for a few years previously 

Maybe that's the rub. Prioritising a keeper will have meant a larger chunk of the budget going there, leaving less for other positions.

I can see why it can take several windows to build a solid, all round team.

A decent cup run needed, which is where Rudgie places the roots of his successful recruitment.

1 minute ago, SFBT said:

Maybe that's the rub. Prioritising a keeper will have meant a larger chunk of the budget going there, leaving less for other positions.

A decent cup run needed, which is where Rudgie places the roots of his successful recruitment.

Yes, I mean we 1000% needed to sort the goalkeeping problem and we have. I'm hoping the attack will come good soon.

2 hours ago, Vtid said:

i thought he was out with one sole injury last year that article says 3 different occasions so whether it's reoccurring one or different injuries it's still worrying. Hasn't looked great either for me whether that's down to fitness or not who knows. Same issue as we all knew start of the season tho wing backs & strikers either lack of or injured 😂

It was one injury but when you're making your way back you tend to pull up with other injuries as your body learns how to train and play at intensity again. Happens all the time which is why the sports scientists manage the training load and advise match minutes.

Shame for Grant, I thought he was starting to get a bit of confidence looking like a really good solid LWB.

25 minutes ago, SFBT said:

Mansfield is huge. It's a massive game. Way more important ( at the moment) than Burton in the FA Cup. 

A real opportunity for a big pay day and potential tv game for Mansfield and Vale. 

1 hour ago, SFBT said:

spot on mate 👍🏻 

1 hour ago, MBE said:

It was one injury but when you're making your way back you tend to pull up with other injuries as your body learns how to train and play at intensity again. Happens all the time which is why the sports scientists manage the training load and advise match minutes.

Shame for Grant, I thought he was starting to get a bit of confidence looking like a really good solid LWB.

very underwhelmed myself but like i said could be down to his fitness & building back upto his usual game. Very slow & doesn't get forward enough but got a great left foot on him & delivery looks decent. Suppose it's gonna take even longer now to see his real ability after another setback which is a shame 

49 minutes ago, Vtid said:

very underwhelmed myself but like i said could be down to his fitness & building back upto his usual game. Very slow & doesn't get forward enough but got a great left foot on him & delivery looks decent. Suppose it's gonna take even longer now to see his real ability after another setback which is a shame 

Jones doesn't seem to be considered a viable LWB. But he does have a good left foot, can tackle, can throw in and is sizeable when needing to defend set pieces. Plant isn't any of those things, although getting him games will ultimately benefit him and the club more? 

It feels like we didn't crack our left sided problem from last season. But to be fair when things don't go as expected it can look like that despite best efforts. 

3 hours ago, Vtid said:

You are almost describing Hussey. 

6 hours ago, Jesse James said:

Off topic but, just noticed the Railway Paddock is greyed out for the next 3 home games surely not the toilet issue still how long does it take? I believe we are losing money from this restriction!

the place is a joke!😇

On 19/10/2023 at 17:01, WV said:

How is Grant a proven crock? 

I wouldn't waste your time listening to these people they have nothing to do in their lives .

Grant has been unlucky with this latest setback after a bad season previously but is a very competent and experienced player .

We have signed him for 2 years not 2 months 

All players in the modern game get injured let's judge him at the end of the season.

I hope he doesn't look at this forum as he would think we were all like these "football experts "

Thankfully most of us actually understand  modern football

I wouldn't waste your time listening to these people they have nothing to do in their lives .
Grant has been unlucky with this latest setback after a bad season previously but is a very competent and experienced player .
We have signed him for 2 years not 2 months 
All players in the modern game get injured let's judge him at the end of the season.
I hope he doesn't look at this forum as he would think we were all like these "football experts "
Thankfully most of us actually understand  modern football

What's the possibility of Tom Conlon playing at Left Wing back, he has the left foot and the skill, the tenacity and can tackle, does he have the pace though?  He would need to develop the positional sense for the role.

Mitch Clarke played at left full back under Askey so there is potential quality cover there with this option at least.

Archived