onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Cricket - the Ashes 2023

robf

Advert

1 hour ago, Paul6754 said:

Gonna find out soon if that declaration on the 1st day by England was a good decision.

If we had batted on with the delays, perhaps a draw. Nice to see us try and be positive. 

Just need to carry on doing what we believe in.

You have to give credit to both teams for serving up a thrilling match on a sub-standard pitch. How the groundsman could serve up a lifeless pitch where the carry was so poor that slip fielders were redundant when we have had a month of largely dry and warm weather  needs Investigating. It should have been reasonably straightforward to produce a firm wicket with far more pace and bounce that encourages and rewards shot making by the batsman while offering some hope to the bowlers. 

2 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Gonna find out soon if that declaration on the 1st day by England was a good decision.

Incredibly stupid decision, needed 450+ on that wicket, would we have got it who knows. Can’t stand the Aussies but pleased for Lyon after all the abuse he got. He’s ten times the player Ali is who’s a complete fraud. 

OK, we lost. OK, we might not have lost had we not declared in the first day, but we did cos we attacked. We attacked the entire 5 days and I loved it. Australia were on the back foot from the first ball of the match. 

Even though we lost, but we have given them a bloody nose and plenty of food for thought. We have a tactic that is winning plaudits, should Cummins lose the next test after playing as they did in this test I expect the pressure and the noise to really ramp up against the Aussies. 

Looking forward to the nect installment next week where hopefully the groundsman curates a wicket that has more life in it. The Edgbaston wicket was a poor showing for a supposedly top tier cricket venue. 

• 2 weeks later...

TMS Overseas wasn't available for some unknown reason yesterday, someone probably put the wrong plug in. Watched the 1st day highlights and there looked a bit of seam and turn in that wicket but the Aussies just didn't get a touch.

TMS back on for the 2nd day and fascinating test cricket. If Stokes and Brook can put a partnership together and England get a lead of 100+ it will be interesting.

6 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Is it wrong of me to hope that Lyon's injury is quite serious?!!

Wrong? I hope he is out for all the tests, I hope the cheats do ligaments and never play again. Warner and Smith should never be playing the game.

Think England are slightly ahead in the game now, I don’t think we see Lyon bowl again for at least this test and probably the next one. Think we played very well today though even then it seems like each time you think England are about to stamp their authority on the series they keep the Aussies in it. Was pleased with how Stokes calmed it down at the end of the day, could easily have gone awry with another couple of wickets otherwise.

Has the law about what constitutes a fair catch changed?  The Aussies seem to think that the ball hitting the ground isn’t an issue. 
It happened in the last test too. They seem to think that using the ground to steady the ball is OK. The umpiring has been poor.

I like this new attacking approach because in previous years we'd get meekly bowled out for under 200 trying to play defensive. However the shots from Duckett and Root this afternoon were nothing to do with Bazball.....they were just braindead. Those 3 wickets have kept Australia just ahead in my book. We need to get towards 500 ideally.

I’m finding it very frustrating to watch. On top in 1st test and throw it away with a stupid declaration and some stupid shots. Here 180-1 ausies on the ropes, why not knock it around for half hour? See off the short bowling then go back to hitting the full pitch stuff. Crazy barring that half hour and to see Brook do the same after 3 quick wickets to it was unbelievable. When in strong positions we really need to push them home. No idea why Root is batting like that either, the others their attack is better than defence so makes some sense, but root is top class and  shouldn’t be batting like that. It a decent place with the Lyon injury but I just hope we bat normally get a lead and bowl with a bit more aggression 

Archived