onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Cricket - the Ashes 2023

robf

4 hours ago, Guppys left peg said:

The Aussie selection to me was strange not having a frontline spinner. Not saying Murphy would have solved all their issues but to go into a test without one is asking for trouble. Felt the same whenever England have done it.

I agree.  They really paid the penalty,  particularly this afternoon when the lack of a front-line spinner piled the pressure onto their quickies. Pity the weather forecast over the weekend is so poor, it may yet come to Aussies' aid. This may well lead to an earlier declaration (say 120 ahead?) in order to force the pace of the match. We shall see......the glory of a close Ashes series!

Advert

Outstanding day. Crawley can do that when the ball Dosent swing too much, but what an outstanding innings, very entertaining some brilliant shots, deserved the double ton if not for some dodgy bounce. He’s actually looked very good all series just wastes his starts and plays at too many outside off. Brilliant today though 
We’re in a fantastic position, bad quickly tomorrow, get to 500, declare and then set about bowling them about. 
Crazy decision from Australia not to select a spinner at old Trafford. 

6 hours ago, Guppys left peg said:

Always rated Zak Crawley me 😇

Seriously that has been a wonderful innings. Played to perfection. Cummins is giving off the impression he’s run out of ideas against this onslaught since lunch.

I don’t think he’s had a clue what to do all series to be honest. I just think we royally messed up and handed them the first two games. Nearly every innings he has struggled to contain us. 

4 hours ago, Shropshire_Valiant said:

First time the Aussies have looked truly rattled yesterday.  Sadly I suspect the weather comes to their aid as the forecast for Saturday is horrific and Sunday not much better.

That might not matter.  Bairstow currently blasting them to kingdom come! Will need a few 'scudders' to really upset the Aussies before close of play. 

Almost the perfect day again from England. The batting was sheer brutality but I’ve been especially pleased with the work in the field. Unlike the Aussies we look like we’re bowling to a plan and putting the opposition under pressure constantly. Wood was incredible.

Only weather can save the Aussies now and I think we’ll get enough play to bowl them out regardless over the course of two days. If we do level it have to think we’ll go on and win the ashes.

Where do you guys stand on changing the rules re the weather?

I'm a part time cricket watcher, watch the big tests and the world Cup.

Frustrating that such an enthralling series has been decided (in terms of the ashes retention) by the weather.

I love the test format by the way.  Best form of the game.

Crazy really and will put people off the game. It’s been a fantastic series and viewings would have been huge for the final test. 
Moving forwards we have to have a reserve day in this country. Old Trafford seems to have more wash outs than any other ground, it’s a good ground but may be better to look at a different location. 
when bad weather is forecast, why can’t we start earlier and end later on the days we know weather is fine? Eg the first 3 days. 
Messing about waiting for pitch inspections. Get out there as soon as the rain stops. 
Having tea / lunch, yesterday, play for an hour or so and then have tea. Why? Been sat around all day. 
Bigger covers like in Sri lanka. 

Great series that has no doubt got a lot back interested in test cricket but this is a real damp ending. Still big game I think next up to ensure we don’t lose the series. 

30 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Crazy really and will put people off the game. It’s been a fantastic series and viewings would have been huge for the final test. 
Moving forwards we have to have a reserve day in this country. Old Trafford seems to have more wash outs than any other ground, it’s a good ground but may be better to look at a different location. 
when bad weather is forecast, why can’t we start earlier and end later on the days we know weather is fine? Eg the first 3 days. 
Messing about waiting for pitch inspections. Get out there as soon as the rain stops. 
Having tea / lunch, yesterday, play for an hour or so and then have tea. Why? Been sat around all day. 
Bigger covers like in Sri lanka. 

Great series that has no doubt got a lot back interested in test cricket but this is a real damp ending. Still big game I think next up to ensure we don’t lose the series. 

If the rolls were reversed and England were 2-1 up and the Aussies were set to win going into the final day and we’d been saved by the weather there would be no one wanting rule changes to start earlier or finish later we’d just be celebrating getting the draw but  because it’s. Cost us we want changes to the rules 

On 23/07/2023 at 20:17, Coyney Valiant said:

If the rolls were reversed and England were 2-1 up and the Aussies were set to win going into the final day and we’d been saved by the weather there would be no one wanting rule changes to start earlier or finish later we’d just be celebrating getting the draw but  because it’s. Cost us we want changes to the rules 

Disagree with this. The rules need changing, not just because of the previous result. It turns people away from test cricket. 

Archived