onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Cricket - the Ashes 2023

robf

Advert

Think with the bowling for the next test I’m going Tongue for Robinson then you’ve got two pacy options in him and Wood. Broad over Anderson even if it’s the home ground for the latter, going with the hot hand there.

For me Bairstow should make way for Foakes. I wouldn’t mind if his batting was that much better than Foakes but it really isn’t. That won’t happen though as England seem reluctant to touch anything with the batting.

9 minutes ago, Aguar61 said:

Will be amazed if Stokes drops Bairstow.... it's all to do with how Bairstow got his leg broken.... don't go public about it and I promise you'll play in the Ashes....

He’s played in the Ashes - doesn’t have to play all of them. 

1 hour ago, Guppys left peg said:

Think with the bowling for the next test I’m going Tongue for Robinson then you’ve got two pacy options in him and Wood. Broad over Anderson even if it’s the home ground for the latter, going with the hot hand there.

For me Bairstow should make way for Foakes. I wouldn’t mind if his batting was that much better than Foakes but it really isn’t. That won’t happen though as England seem reluctant to touch anything with the batting.

I'd go with most of that,however anyone else other than Moeen to bat 3?

Root at 4,Brook at 5, Stokes at 6, Foakes at 7,Woakes at 8,Wood at 9,Broad at 10,Tongue/Anderson/Robinson at 11.

We probably deserve to be 2-1 overall but the Aussies aren't as good as we thought!

Fantastic win

Fantastic game of cricket again, brilliant to listen to. Master stroke to push Brook back to 5 even though Moen didn't come off.

England's bowling attack looks and is far more potent with Mark Wood in it.

I'd stick with Bairstow for the next test match, he just needs to regain his form with the bat. There's always been this dilemma over the years between keeper/batman or batsman/keeper, I favor the later as England's top order are a little inconsistent. Bairstow's decent with the gloves.

1 hour ago, DazFred said:

I'd go with most of that,however anyone else other than Moeen to bat 3?

Root at 4,Brook at 5, Stokes at 6, Foakes at 7,Woakes at 8,Wood at 9,Broad at 10,Tongue/Anderson/Robinson at 11.

We probably deserve to be 2-1 overall but the Aussies aren't as good as we thought!

Fantastic win

That’s a difficult one to answer. Root you’d think would be the candidate but it’s clear he doesn’t like batting at that position for whatever reason. Stokes did say it wasn’t likely to be a permanent move to 3 for Moeen. At Old Trafford you definitely want a spinner though and it’s clear they’ve settled on Moeen over Rehan. If Stokes isn’t going to bowl could he do it maybe? His defensive technique is actually really good.

This series really could be any scoreline how its been played. Every game going down to the wire. Am just begging England to give us an innings win at Old Trafford to then take to a decider.

Should say on a separate well done to our fellow Valiant Danni Wyatt in the women’s Ashes she was named player of the series in the T20 part of it and England winning that bit too.

2 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Fantastic game of cricket again, brilliant to listen to. Master stroke to push Brook back to 5 even though Moen didn't come off.

England's bowling attack looks and is far more potent with Mark Wood in it.

I'd stick with Bairstow for the next test match, he just needs to regain his form with the bat. There's always been this dilemma over the years between keeper/batman or batsman/keeper, I favor the later as England's top order are a little inconsistent. Bairstow's decent with the gloves.

All this runs Bairstow scored last year were when Foakes was keeping wicket. 

On 08/07/2023 at 14:32, Guppys left peg said:

Yeah I’ll happily concede it definitely won’t be over today now. I do think just because the game is so far advanced I don’t see a situation where there’s a draw unless there’s a deluge for two days straight. As it happens the rain delay is probably favourable to the England bowlers (especially Wood) to get them a bit of extra rest that they don’t seem to get much of with how we barely bat until the second new ball now.

At least we got over the line this time!  Sets it up nicely for the last two Tests.  Whatever the outcome, it's been a thrilling and topsey-turvey series so far.  Both teams have had the chances to now be 3-0 up, and had we have applied ourselves more at Lords, England would have been 2-1 up.

However, as we say; that's cricket for you and I can't wait for a week on Wednesday at Old Trafford.  Both teams will have some selection conumdrums to ponder during the 10 day break.

15 hours ago, Guppys left peg said:

That’s a difficult one to answer. Root you’d think would be the candidate but it’s clear he doesn’t like batting at that position for whatever reason. Stokes did say it wasn’t likely to be a permanent move to 3 for Moeen. At Old Trafford you definitely want a spinner though and it’s clear they’ve settled on Moeen over Rehan. If Stokes isn’t going to bowl could he do it maybe? His defensive technique is actually really good.

This series really could be any scoreline how its been played. Every game going down to the wire. Am just begging England to give us an innings win at Old Trafford to then take to a decider.

Should say on a separate well done to our fellow Valiant Danni Wyatt in the women’s Ashes she was named player of the series in the T20 part of it and England winning that bit too.

I didn't realise that Danni Wyatt is a local girl.  Good player!

Good win; woakes and wood were fantastic, Brook looks a perfect player to me but has these lapses in concentration and plays stupid shots.

Big issues for me are the same as coming into the series. We struggle up top, top 3 is non existent and the keeper is not a test standard keeper. 

Foakes has to come in at Old Trafford. I know bairstow has done well when not keeping but he looks alarmingly out of form and easy to bowl through the gate. 

Anderson for Robinson and then the issue is at number 3. Could be that we try moeen there again in the short term with having woakes as an all rounder at 8 anyway. 

Archived