onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Feeling very despondent

36 minutes ago, connor hackett said:
2 hours ago, Valiiant said:
Well Wilson isn't quite League One quality (certainly not for a side with any ambition to try and get out of it) so no harm done with him moving on then. I'm staggered by just how many people are happy to turn a blind eye to his woeful record.

Can you imagine the meltdown if we were to sign a striker that was injury prone and only notched 3 goals last season...I'll always remember the playoffs and his contribution, but I agree with you, time for fresh blood.

I don't want to sound like I'm on some kind of crusade against Wilson. He did well for us in League Two and now and again would look a class apart in that league. But I also have never ignored the amount of times you almost forgot he was on the pitch. At 100% I had no issues with him, but that was an absolute rarity, and he's one of them players that often look really crap when playing at 70 or 80% and that seemed to be the case with him more often than not. He's a luxury player, one a club in our position can ill afford.

Advert

12 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:
Fans might not like it coz he’s not a “name”but makes perfect sense from the club. Delighted for him, deserves a chance at the job! A massive reason why I enjoyed my time at the club so much was down to this man 💪🏼 Good luck Cros and get behind him ⚽️🖤🤍
Connor Hall seems to think AC deserves a chance...

Yes but what does he know, after all he’s just a professional footballer.

Wilson was brilliant for us. Never ceased to amaze me how he came back from those injuries but so composed on the ball and would ping across a defence splitting pass with ease. We still offered him a contract, so clearly felt he was good enough for next season. 

On the flip side his injury record isn’t great and he got released from Salford for being underwhelming…..in league 2. 

Even so, I have little faith that the money will be spent on a decent replacement. I also think this cost cutting is a false economy, as the money that was spent has paid off with record crowds, shirt sales and hospitality, Won’t be getting that watching a rubbish side. 

This myth that Carol has spent millions on the ground to justify reigning in the expenditure is a load of old lies. Look at the aerial pictures of the pitch development released today, the ground has the same old tired Bratt area seats (in fact some of the railway ones are bell era), except the newer yellow ones in the section of the Lorne Street Smurfwaite bought cheap from Watford. The tops of the stands are covered in grime and aside from the new turnstiles, the matchday experience isn’t that much improved unless you’re in hospitality. Smurfwaite built the whole new club shop didn’t he? Which was perhaps the most significant new development since the Lorne Street. 

15k fans for the championship Carol reckons, well Peterborough’s average is roughly 1k more than ours and they just spanked Sheff W 4-0. Whatever model they have, we would do well to copy. 

34 minutes ago, Valiiant said:

I don't want to sound like I'm on some kind of crusade against Wilson. He did well for us in League Two and now and again would look a class apart in that league. But I also have never ignored the amount of times you almost forgot he was on the pitch. At 100% I had no issues with him, but that was an absolute rarity, and he's one of them players that often look really crap when playing at 70 or 80% and that seemed to be the case with him more often than not. He's a luxury player, one a club in our position can ill afford.

He is above league one standard and we wouldnt be in league one if it wasnt for him. Best quality player we have had in a long time and I for one appreciate that. A pleasure to have had him at Port Vale and thanks to him . Injury prone yes but a class act 

15 minutes ago, janabbotts said:

He is above league one standard and we wouldnt be in league one if it wasnt for him. Best quality player we have had in a long time and I for one appreciate that. A pleasure to have had him at Port Vale and thanks to him . Injury prone yes but a class act.

Above League One standard?!

I'll have some of whatever you're having. Let's see how many Championship clubs make a move for him this summer. 😂

There is no doubting a fully fit Willo would be a shoe-in to any league 1 club. With his injuries and the clubs financial state, then we can ill afford the luxury. We would all love a Ferrari to drive around in, but does it make sense to buy one that is prone to breaking down so much so that you can only use it once a month and meanwhile have to spend what’s left on a regular low grade runaround. 
I’m disappointed that he has left, but no individual is bigger than the clubs survival. Let’s hope DF and his team have some success with whatever budget is available to them.

5 minutes ago, Valiiant said:

I'll have some of whatever you're having. Let's see how many Championship clubs make a move for him this summer. 😂

It's the subtlety of his play that we havent seen very often that really is above league one, but of course  I accept that we havent seen it often enough

7 minutes ago, Valiiant said:

His ability is definitely above league one, but unless you have money to burn, then not many league one clubs can take the risk on his injuries. Championship clubs will be looking for more reliability and will have the money to pay for it.

10 minutes ago, jeffers said:

His ability is definitely above league one, but unless you have money to burn, then not many league one clubs can take the risk on his injuries. Championship clubs will be looking for more reliability and will have the money to pay for it.

They'll also be looking for forwards that average more than 1 in 5 in the league below them.

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:
Fans might not like it coz he’s not a “name”but makes perfect sense from the club. Delighted for him, deserves a chance at the job! A massive reason why I enjoyed my time at the club so much was down to this man 💪🏼 Good luck Cros and get behind him ⚽️🖤🤍
Connor Hall seems to think AC deserves a chance...

So does Popey.....he tweeted virtually the same.

29 minutes ago, Valiiant said:

They'll also be looking for forwards that average more than 1 in 5 in the league below them.

15 goals the previous season and some priceless ones at that. As some have previously noted, teams put him as our danger man who could hurt them and they hurt him instead unfortunately with viscious tackles

34 minutes ago, janabbotts said:

15 goals the previous season and some priceless ones at that. As some have previously noted, teams put him as our danger man who could hurt them and they hurt him instead unfortunately with viscious tackles

Not sure championship sides go for players with his goal and injury record. Picked up his fair share of different muscle injuries this season not just bad tackles. Great player, but not played remotely enough games this season and hasn’t really impressed other than in a few big games. 

Wilson was brilliant for us. Never ceased to amaze me how he came back from those injuries but so composed on the ball and would ping across a defence splitting pass with ease. We still offered him a contract, so clearly felt he was good enough for next season. 
On the flip side his injury record isn’t great and he got released from Salford for being underwhelming…..in league 2. 
Even so, I have little faith that the money will be spent on a decent replacement. I also think this cost cutting is a false economy, as the money that was spent has paid off with record crowds, shirt sales and hospitality, Won’t be getting that watching a rubbish side. 

This myth that Carol has spent millions on the ground to justify reigning in the expenditure is a load of old lies. Look at the aerial pictures of the pitch development released today, the ground has the same old tired Bratt area seats (in fact some of the railway ones are bell era), except the newer yellow ones in the section of the Lorne Street Smurfwaite bought cheap from Watford. The tops of the stands are covered in grime and aside from the new turnstiles, the matchday experience isn’t that much improved unless you’re in hospitality. Smurfwaite built the whole new club shop didn’t he? Which was perhaps the most significant new development since the Lorne Street. 
15k fans for the championship Carol reckons, well Peterborough’s average is roughly 1k more than ours and they just spanked Sheff W 4-0. Whatever model they have, we would do well to copy. 
Even with player sales Peterborough are almost 20 million in debt to the owners and the director that owns the stadium has just gone bump which to me says there is no sustainable way to run a football club.

Archived