onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Lincoln City

Fosse69

On 30/10/2022 at 10:53, Birches Head Fred said:

Not quite sure what the point of this comment is. If players didn't make mistakes then surely no goals would ever be scored ?

Take the Vale goal yesterday for instance, the Lincoln defence allowed Robison to pass the ball across the 18yard box unopposed, allowed Mipo to have a clear shot at goal and the keeper should really have done better with not only Mipo's shot but the follow up by Butterworth as well.

If we dissected EVERY mistake by players then the site would crash with posts 40 pages long. Loads of mistakes go unnoticed almost because of the fast nature of the game, every game, every week - some are noted, mainly the one's that perhaps lead to goals or goalmouth chances.

On the other hand, similarly it's the same for good play, movement, passes, shots etc. some of which again go unnoticed or not talked about.

It's football, I agree that some players seem at times flavour of the month, yet others instantly seem to become pariah's, sometimes for the weirdest of reasons - the weirdest being they are either Stoke Fans or Ex-Players!

At the end of the day, although we all watch the same game, we all watch and see from different angles, and from different perspectives and that I believe is why sites like this exist. 

At team and match level I use the Sky Sports app to remain objective. I know Lincoln only had 2 shots on Saturday. 

From observation, they arose from Dan Jones's mistake. Also from observation I think he partly made that mistake because he found himself in unfamiliar territory on the right side of the pitch as a left footed defensive player. He was only there because he helped the team by shifting position after a sub.

Football in close games comes down to decisive moments and that could have been one. But he also did his job well on many occasions. I think it is possible to make players villains for mistakes and if too many do it the team is in trouble in the league. But it's only football - I should remember that. 

Watching other defenders. Gomez on his own game after game seems to have trashed Liverpool's season. Somehow Liverpool fans aren't up in arms about him. Meanwhile Maguire yet again made the same gormless mistake of rushing forward square on leaving an ocean of space for the striker to bypass him behind him. Fortunately yesterday Martinez, a seriously good defender, bailed him out. 

But I don't want either of these players in the England because they performing way off what is needed at the World Cup. It's not a witch hunt it's observation. However, the abuse McGuire is getting is wrong. 

Advert

3 minutes ago, Warren said:

Also from observation though I think he partly made that mistake because he found himself in unfamiliar territory on the right side of the pitch as a left footed defensive player.

I think he made it because he was trying to be a flash bugger. If someone could be bothered to watch all the games he's played back on the ifollow archive I think they'd find many an occasion where he's been caught out trying to be too slick/too uncautious.

59 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Thinking back to last season, there was a period where we were kicking towards the Bycars first half virtually every home game.  In fact it was so frequent it was almost as if we were choosing to kick that way ourselves.  It didn’t seem to affect the teams performance one bit, maybe flattened the atmosphere for the second half though.

Sun makes a difference. 

2 minutes ago, Doha said:

I think he made it because he was trying to be a flash bugger. If someone could be bothered to watch all the games he's played back on the ifollow archive I think they'd find many an occasion where he's been caught out trying to be too slick/too uncautious.

I think he fancies a pass certainly. He trusts his strength also sometimes. I can get this to some extent. We have problems at left wingback and one aspect of that is team play with Benning being less effective than team play with Worrall. As you say undue risk taking can cost goals. 

58 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Thinking back to last season, there was a period where we were kicking towards the Bycars first half virtually every home game.  In fact it was so frequent it was almost as if we were choosing to kick that way ourselves.  It didn’t seem to affect the teams performance one bit, maybe flattened the atmosphere for the second half though.

Historically (and I go back nearly 70years!) we've always preferred Bycars for second half.  Not sure why--can only assume that the habit was passed on from captain to captain.  I know that Liverpool prefer attacking the Kop second half, but we can hardly compare Bycars with the Anfield Kop end!!

4 hours ago, Doha said:

Think it was even simpler than that ... he just didn't look at who was around the Vale player. He's done similar things before. He wasn't under presure. Against that every player makes mistakes in a game, that was was particularly glaring as it was in a dangerous area. 

Overall Jones has surprised on the up side this season. He's now pretty consistently winning headers against big players and his positioning defensively has improved. He doesn't get rolled and end up wrongside anymore.  It's easy to forget he came up through non-league football and has only played 65 league games. In terms of league and league 1 experience I suspect we have the least experienced group of centrehalves in the division. There's only really Smith who has played a lot of EFL football and most of his experience has been league 2. They will make mistakes but if they are progressing then there is hope going forward. 

4 hours ago, Doha said:

Hands up. He does try to be flash. But he's been much better recently.  Been good. He got done by the pitch on those cross-field balls. But they were ill advised to put it mildly on the VP marsh. He also gets booked too often. 

Dan Jones yes he makes mistakes every player does but lad plays so well generally the ball through to Harrison what he should have buried if he side stepped and slotted it in the corner was magnificent (first half ).
He cleared a certain equaliser off the line let's talk about the positive stuff won every header he was brilliant in the main .
I'm feeling really positive about tge Vale our players are to a man all improving by the minute by the game .

7 hours ago, Bycarsbill said:

Historically (and I go back nearly 70years!) we've always preferred Bycars for second half.  Not sure why--can only assume that the habit was passed on from captain to captain.  I know that Liverpool prefer attacking the Kop second half, but we can hardly compare Bycars with the Anfield Kop end!!

Bycars was traditionally where all the younger Vale fans used to collect and sing at the start of the match. When Vale played towards the Hamil first half many of the Vale fans would make their way round to the Hamil when it was the "open" end and then return to the Bycars. If Vale ended up playing to the Bycars first half  fans would make their way to the Hamil for the second half.

However,  the singing didn't carry 'cause there was no stand and sometimes if there were many away supporters in the Hamil the Police quite rightly prevented Vale fans access to the Hamil.

Hence when Vale were kicking to the Hamil end many Bycars Vale fans started to go in the corner of the Railway Paddock (Next to the Hamil End) then make their way back to the Bycars. It was all fairly amicable and the stewards generally didn't stop it.

8 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Bycars was traditionally where all the younger Vale fans used to collect and sing at the start of the match. When Vale played towards the Hamil first half many of the Vale fans would make their way round to the Hamil when it was the "open" end and then return to the Bycars. If Vale ended up playing to the Bycars first half  fans would make their way to the Hamil for the second half.

However,  the singing didn't carry 'cause there was no stand and sometimes if there were many away supporters in the Hamil the Police quite rightly prevented Vale fans access to the Hamil.

Hence when Vale were kicking to the Hamil end many Bycars Vale fans started to go in the corner of the Railway Paddock (Next to the Hamil End) then make their way back to the Bycars. It was all fairly amicable and the stewards generally didn't stop it.

The younger fans, the singers moved to the corner of the Railway paddock when Billy Bell introduced some kind of membership scheme for the Bycars, some sort of money making racket that backfired.

14 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

An accurate historical observation.  The lower tier of the Railway stand was of course, standing only for many years.

500 hundred in bycars make more noise than the kop.

Archived