onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

What's the worst football match you've attended?

mr.hobblesworth

Advert

As in most boring, then 0-0 against Barnet on a Tueday night about 15 years a go.

Worst performance, Bury 0-3 like a couple have said, Macclesfield a few times, quite a few at Saltergate. Has to be the loss against Chasetown though. Absolutely freezing and never been so embarrassed or angry following Vale.

Three really stick out. WBA in P/O Final, just a horrible feeling really from the word go being vastly outnumbered by 50,000 boinging Baggies; then Brentford away sometime in the noughties, lost 2-0 in what I think was a relegation season and it was the most abject of Vale performances ever. Left after 70 minutes. Finally the 4-0 at Sheff Utd towards the end of the Bruno reign. They had 4 disallowed and missed numerous over chances and it really could have been right. Again, left after 70 mins.

Lincoln at home on a Friday night springs to mind. Dreadful performance, rubbish crowd and atmosphere and the easiest 3 points Lincoln will ever get. I think I was ready to jack it all in after that one. Rarely felt like that despite some terrible games attended over many many years.

5 minutes ago, bobbymanc said:

Lincoln at home on a Friday night springs to mind. Dreadful performance, rubbish crowd and atmosphere and the easiest 3 points Lincoln will ever get. I think I was ready to jack it all in after that one. Rarely felt like that despite some terrible games attended over many many years.

Actually, sod that. Slovakia v England in Euro 2016 was by far the worst game of football I've ever attended. Zero shots on target for either team. Pathetic.

We’ve had a few 0-0s versus Bournemouth that are contenders. April 2002 and April 2006 spring to mind. Both were end of season dead rubbers. I remember getting wound up by the latter one because Foyle laughed off any suggestion that the game might have been boring in his post match interview. Vale were turgid to watch at that time.

As said elsewhere, plenty of contenders during the 2008-09 season when Glover was manager. Anyone else remember the first half against Notts County when we started olé-ing sarcastically?

That Barnet 0.0 that's been mentioned I remember.  Think that was a Gannon and Exodus episode. 

It's a bit of a random one this but, in the MOLD/FOYLE/SINNOTT relegation season a group of us ended up in the hospitality seats at Milwall.  We had the likes of Justin Miller and David Howland in the starting 11.  Front two was Kyle Perry and Danny Glover.

It finished 3.0 Millwall and at HT we went in and all of their lot were absolutely wetting themselves at hoe bad we were.

It was the most ashamed and angry I'd ever felt about Vale and to this day its the Vale squad I've actually, genuinely hated the most.

It was the time it really dawned on me just how <ovf censored> we'd become after the halcyon days of the championship.

And it did actually get worse.

4 hours ago, Mellor! said:

As in most boring, then 0-0 against Barnet on a Tueday night about 15 years a go.

Worst performance, Bury 0-3 like a couple have said, Macclesfield a few times, quite a few at Saltergate. Has to be the loss against Chasetown though. Absolutely freezing and never been so embarrassed or angry following Vale.

The 0-0 v Barnett takes some beating though many others have tried. 

29 minutes ago, eh up nah said:

That Barnet 0.0 that's been mentioned I remember.  Think that was a Gannon and Exodus episode. 

It's a bit of a random one this but, in the MOLD/FOYLE/SINNOTT relegation season a group of us ended up in the hospitality seats at Milwall.  We had the likes of Justin Miller and David Howland in the starting 11.  Front two was Kyle Perry and Danny Glover.

It finished 3.0 Millwall and at HT we went in and all of their lot were absolutely wetting themselves at hoe bad we were.

It was the most ashamed and angry I'd ever felt about Vale and to this day its the Vale squad I've actually, genuinely hated the most.

It was the time it really dawned on me just how <ovf censored> we'd become after the halcyon days of the championship.

And it did actually get worse.

I seem to remember Howland scoring for us at Lincoln....and not a great deal else to be honest. 

Youngheart Wanamatu or something in New Zealand. It was 2-1 but a load of Donkey dirt. The half time entertainment was a raffle, the winner shot the ball from the halfway line to try and score goal. That was the best part of the match.

For Vale, there was a 0-0 v Barnsley I think the season before the first home game where we beat them 3-1 or 3-2. That 0-0 was a game where we were encouraged to bring friends. 20 years later they never returned. It was pure boring bile. Had we lost 6-0 it would have been entertaining but this one was utter muck.

On the other hand, my favourite defeat was 4-2 at home v Wolves, amazing game, Jon de Wolf hat trick which is very rare for a centre half.

While I am at it, favourite win was Spurs.

Archived