onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

13 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Wow. What a terrible reply.

So you don't think idiots will start using the "Championship ready" phrase if we're in the relegation zone? What planet are you living on?!

I never said she shouldn't have said it, I said it should have been kept in-house. I agree with what she's doing 100%. It's nice to see a bit of ambition at the club for a change.

However, like another poster rightly pointed out, "Championship ready" will be used mockingly, like "trust the process" has.

And to say "People like me might sneer"? Where have I ever done that?!

THIS. Read this. It's about mindset (something you seem to struggle with)

And for clarity, I don't give a flying <ovf censored> what anyone thinks of us if we fail to get in the Championship. I'd prefer us to try and fail with honour then sit there and snipe 

Advert

26 minutes ago, Osh said:

THIS. Read this. It's about mindset (something you seem to struggle with)

And for clarity, I don't give a flying <ovf censored> what anyone thinks of us if we fail to get in the Championship. I'd prefer us to try and fail with honour then sit there and snipe 

You still don't seem to understand. Let me spell it out for you nice and simple.

Ambition. Planning. "Championship ready". Good.

Stating this publicly. Bad.

It's making a rod for your own back. 

Just now, valeparklife said:

You still don't seem to understand. Let me spell it out for you nice and simple.

Oh grow up. 

You'll be pleased to know you are the very first person I've ever blocked on this forum. 

Sweet Jesus 

2 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

We are in a different league now and need to adapt our methodologies accordingly. The higher up the pyramid you go the more difficult players are to manage. The attributes which make them good and creative players have a knock on effect on their egos. 

I was listening to a prog on Radio 4 the other day. There was a guy talking about tests they had done to try to ascertain if there was any link between outlook and life expectancy. They tested a load of folk of the same age to find out if they were optimists or pessimists then tracked them over a number of years. They found that the optimists lived on average 22 years after the tests and the pessimists only 15 years.

On that basis, RZ, I’m surprised you’re not dead!!!!

I was listening to a prog on Radio 4 the other day. There was a guy talking about tests they had done to try to ascertain if there was any link between outlook and life expectancy. They tested a load of folk of the same age to find out if they were optimists or pessimists then tracked them over a number of years. They found that the optimists lived on average 22 years after the tests and the pessimists only 15 years.
On that basis, RZ, I’m surprised you’re not dead!!!!
That wouldn't stop him posting

I’d be surprised if we don’t have anyone else in before Saturday, and amazed if we go beyond the transfer window in the same situation.

Chances are that I will neither be surprised nor amazed, because the club know better than us what we need and how to get it.

Does anyone seriously think this is the squad until Christmas, or even that outcome is possible? I doubt it.

We could play Fleetwood with what we have and win, while still looking to strengthen. I think we’re probably aiming high, which leads to lots of players saying no, with the idea that eventually some will say yes. Rather than going to players we can get straight away that don’t improve the squad.

46 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Only if you're making promises you can't hit. 

If everyone followed your logic then how would you vote in a general election because no party would put out a manifesto for fear of "making a rod for their own back"? How would the Tory members vote for the next PM if they didn't spell out their plans for fear of "making a rod for their own back"? 

A statement of intent is a sign of ambition and I think you only make a "rod for your own back" if you don't deliver on that.

The club will deliver on being Championship ready. I am 100% confident of that.

Being Championship ready is developing the ground and infrastructure in place but not necessarily promotion to the Championship. Success on a football pitch is far more tricky to declare  in public, I think but ground development work and improvements are tangible and measurable so I see no reason why you shouldn't publicly declare what you want to do and then deliver on them.

having thought about it a bit more, whilst i am disappointed with how the window has gone and am desperately worried about willo, i have done a bit of research and seen how cheltenham did last season.

they lost their best player tozer and they signed only 4 players permanently in the summer - 3 of which have left and only the keeper played much and only then 27 games. they signed 2 really good loan players. a lot of the players who took them up may, blair, long, sercombe, boyle, raglan even hussey before he came to us were there key players in league 1. pollock and wright, the loan players, were the only players who had a big impact as newbies.

with the squad we have now, i think two good loan signings (in goal and up top) would be enough to see us right. i would prefer permanent but i don't think we can afford it. the likes of hall cass garrity conlon proctor ojo are all good players for the level we're going and and i think we can get a year out of worrall and benning. we have a top manager who i think is the difference between us and the poorer sides at this level. give me dc over garner, elliot, burchnall ,kennedy, cotterill any day of the week.

this doesn't change the fact that this summer has proven that the process isn't a perfect system. we will encounter challenges. 20th and improvements to the ground and infrastructure is a good season for me now. flitcroft will have learned a lot this summer and i hope that is put into practice next summer as we can't do what we've done this year again. i commend carol for her ambition but we all know that her sayings 'not doing 8th' 'want need expect' have come back to bite. delighted with the improvements but sometimes worth doing it quietly so that it can't be used against us.

4 hours ago, Frank Mustard said:

Block em? What, for having a different opinion to you? You’ll find life on here pretty boring once you’ve done that and everyone conforms to your opinions. 

Totally agree with this,I have plenty of run ins with RZ and the like BUT everyone on here is entitled to their opinion even if i think they are talking total rot,so for me i wont block them at all

Archived