onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

Advert

1 hour ago, fraggle said:

Most boring pre-season for many a year….

Was always going to be after the way we ended the season tbf. 

Not going to say trust the process cause hate that phrase but I think we have good people with a vested interest in the club now and trust them all to do what’s right for Port Vale hopefully us fans benefit from that on a match day. 

Sure as eggs is eggs we will sign some players though.

14 minutes ago, dantheman said:

Was always going to be after the way we ended the season tbf. 

Not going to say trust the process cause hate that phrase but I think we have good people with a vested interest in the club now and trust them all to do what’s right for Port Vale hopefully us fans benefit from that on a match day. 

Sure as eggs is eggs we will sign some players though.

Hopefully see you at Wembley again...

This time we'll be there in time for the kick off...

I don't think it's in question that signings will come. Clarke and Flitcroft are experienced enough to know how many players are needed. No one is seriously arguing we'll be short of numbers.

What I think is an understandable concern is that the duration of time it's taken us to sign two players suggests we've missed out on a lot of primary targets.

It's been over 2 weeks since Ojo signed and the Cass deal was even further back. We finished the season late but that was now 6 weeks ago - it doesn't usually take 6 weeks for 2 buys!

I think it's without question that we've been chasing deals in the last few weeks which haven't gone to plan. I don't think the initial plan was for the entire club to be abroad when by the manager's admission 6-7 deals needed to be done, necessitating Zoom calls for crucial signings! I think the hope was more would be in the door and would benefit from integration and intense tactical training - in reality, only Ojo had any integrating to do.

Players will come in in the next week (surely?!), but it'd be interesting to know how far down the list they were. We'll never know and there's clearly a good recruitment 'process' in place (Garrity, Hall, Wilson, Proctor and 1 or 2 others) but it is not without it's misses (Covolan, Cooper, Holy, Hussey and 1 or 2 others). 

It's all well and good being patient but eventually you have to put words into action. Clarke admitted over a week ago that things were taking longer than expected and nothing has been announced since. New signings will have 2 weeks to settle and 1 friendly to get up to speed. It's cutting it mightily fine! 

I've said before we'll be fine this season as we have a very good manager with supportive, long-term ownership. I also don't think this summer has gone particularly to plan.

I don't think it's in question that signings will come. Clarke and Flitcroft are experienced enough to know how many players are needed. No one is seriously arguing we'll be short of numbers.
What I think is an understandable concern is that the duration of time it's taken us to sign two players suggests we've missed out on a lot of primary targets.
It's been over 2 weeks since Ojo signed and the Cass deal was even further back. We finished the season late but that was now 6 weeks ago - it doesn't usually take 6 weeks for 2 buys!
I think it's without question that we've been chasing deals in the last few weeks which haven't gone to plan. I don't think the initial plan was for the entire club to be abroad when by the manager's admission 6-7 deals needed to be done, necessitating Zoom calls for crucial signings! I think the hope was more would be in the door and would benefit from integration and intense tactical training - in reality, only Ojo had any integrating to do.
Players will come in in the next week (surely?!), but it'd be interesting to know how far down the list they were. We'll never know and there's clearly a good recruitment 'process' in place (Garrity, Hall, Wilson, Proctor and 1 or 2 others) but it is not without it's misses (Covolan, Cooper, Holy, Hussey and 1 or 2 others). 
It's all well and good being patient but eventually you have to put words into action. Clarke admitted over a week ago that things were taking longer than expected and nothing has been announced since. New signings will have 2 weeks to settle and 1 friendly to get up to speed. It's cutting it mightily fine! 
I've said before we'll be fine this season as we have a very good manager with supportive, long-term ownership. I also don't think this summer has gone particularly to plan.

But, two different teams , into league 1, surely he has an idea ?

I think that's a pretty good take on the situation. I suspect we may have been outdone on wages by some signings as surely we'd have had a few more over the line by now? Maybe some players and agents have got greedy with all the money that's in the game or maybe we're just not willing to risk the house on paying overly inflated wages.

The Exeter boss mentioned that he'd had similar problems with recruitment. It might be smart to get the best value deals right up to the deadline but we're definitely 4 or 5 players light at the moment and we might have played 5 or 6 games by the time we have brought in reinforcements. Perhaps we might need to trust a decent team to be competitive and then hopefully push on with new signings.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

1 hour ago, Alsager Whites said:

Making a big assumption that Hussey is a miss. Looks like a proper footballer to me.

34 minutes ago, Gooders said:

Making a big assumption that Hussey is a miss. Looks like a proper footballer to me.

Got to disagree, looked way past it last season,slow moving, needed too many touches, unreliable delivery, susceptible to pace. Back up for injuries and little else.

6 hours ago, leedsvaliant said:

I think that's a pretty good take on the situation. I suspect we may have been outdone on wages by some signings as surely we'd have had a few more over the line by now? Maybe some players and agents have got greedy with all the money that's in the game or maybe we're just not willing to risk the house on paying overly inflated wages.

The Exeter boss mentioned that he'd had similar problems with recruitment. It might be smart to get the best value deals right up to the deadline but we're definitely 4 or 5 players light at the moment and we might have played 5 or 6 games by the time we have brought in reinforcements. Perhaps we might need to trust a decent team to be competitive and then hopefully push on with new signings.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

We haven't got enough players at the moment to play 5 or 6 games before bringing in reinforcements. 

Have to agree that we are short of players, and that having had more signings before the training camp would have been much better for team/ squad building.

As it didn't pan out that way, our established and tight knit group has become even more valuable.

It should, hopefully, carry us through early season, and also enable latecomers to integrate quickly.

When things are not ideal, it's possible, and necessary, to utilise the resources that exist.

We played against Dundee with two youth team players, Robinson, who has no experience, a trialist and players coming back from injury. We finished with 10 men. We only have one keeper. We don't have enough fit players for a first 11 and 5 allowed subs. We have another trialist who is unfit after an injury. We only have one goalkeeper. To my mind, we look a little light for the start of the season.

Recruitment is tough, especially when your standards are high.

My take is that we have a solid group (largely thanks to the last two windows), and we are now looking to bring in people who will strengthen the group, without breaking the wage structure.

Those two aims mean you will sometimes get knocked back.

I’m hoping, and expecting that there will be players coming in to cover the exposed areas of the squad over the next week, but I’d rather wait for the right deal than dive in for the wrong one.

Archived