Match Thread: Port Vale v Sheff Wed (friendly)

robf

28 minutes ago, Emile said:

He really doesn't fit in. DC barely played him last season and when we did he did nothing. I can see him leaving before the season starts.

Or maybe I'm totally wrong.

I think that he is in a difficult position - he is really fighting for the Conlon role and he isn't going to win there. I think that (assuming that Conlon presses on and moves up the leagues at some point), the best thing that Taylor can do is to get his head down, learn and impress DC sot hat he is ready for injuries, suspensions etc. he has a long contract and can afford to learn ... if his attitude is right.

Always nice to see the ref fall over and the accompanying cheer. It doesn’t  happen all that often these days.

I thought he was having a decent game until near the end. He must have been a bit bored when he made an example of their keeper and gave us an indirect free kick. 

Posted (edited)

I did think that signing Taylor to a three and half year deal when there was no DoF or manager seemed a bit strange. Who signed it off? Pugh? The six-month Guthrie, Scott, Olagunju, and Swan signings were fine as they were just bodies to get us through the season and could be dispensed with ease. 

I like the lad but was never quite as enamoured as some, and three (Crewe, Orient, Swindon) memorable goals overshadowed what were, in my view, fairly functional League 2 midfield performances and little more.

He'll need to be patient as he's not going to dislodge any of the middle three last night without injuries/suspensions, and I would imagine Garrity has been brought in to actively compete for minutes and not be a Papa Johns man. 

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1

Once fit Taylor has a lot to offer the team over the season and even if not fully fit for the big kick off having a class midfielder with box-to-box energy and a quality skill set that includes touch,vision,passing and most importantly goals....in summary; potentially the best midfielder at the club.

With the pace of the modern game and the fitness required for the high press and the amount of games (50 plus league and cup) it is very much a squad game with three subs and not just about a settled starting eleven week in week out month after month....Taylor and Garrity will get games....and our manager is a renowned "tinkerman" (copyright Leicester City).

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Row L said:

We need to work on getting the front 2 into the box more and make sure that the back 3 & wing back figure out how to defend against overlaps, but a steady start and one of the better friendlies for a long time

Another positive of narrowing the pitch is it lessens the space for teams to attack that behind the wingbacks. Easier for the 3 to cover.

Edited by Iron Curtain
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, valeparklife said:

Just seen Wednesday's winner on this video (0:10 seconds in) - doubtful we'll come across that kind of quality in L2 with the backheel, composure and finish!

Anyone got a video of our goals?

our media team doing another grand job! oh no its radio sheffield🤥

Posted (edited)

No Leon Legge I see again he is a leader in both boxes along with Worrall and Conlon be first name on team majority of games in my opinion .

Watched it on a stream as working nights and couldn't really be bothered for a friendly ,thought we were not good enough on a whole on what I could see although we passed it well at times and second half did better in terms of keeping the ball but Sheffield Wednesday exploited too easily on occasions and we missed Leon's win everything aerially from there set pieces .

It's hard tell from the stream from the 

Lorne Street though so even though I watched it was hard see up the away end ,crowd was quiet need more anger and up for it Ness when season starts .

Just brought a season ticket first one in about 5 years stopped getting one after disgracefully losing 5-0 at home to Walsall last game years ago no idea when just had 10 gamers since,l so let's hope the players have a great campaign and the fanbase are more agitated and spur the players on to better .

UTV 

Edited by Breadwinner

57 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

No Leon Legge I see again he is a leader in both boxes along with Worrall and Conlon be first name on team majority of games in my opinion .

Watched it on a stream as working nights and couldn't really be bothered for a friendly ,thought we were not good enough on a whole on what I could see although we passed it well at times and second half did better in terms of keeping the ball but Sheffield Wednesday exploited too easily on occasions and we missed Leon's win everything aerially from there set pieces .

Lorne Street though so even though I watched it was hard see up the away end ,crowd was quiet need more anger and up for it Ness when season starts .

Just brought a season ticket first one in about 5 years stopped getting one after disgracefully losing 5-0 at home to Walsall last game years ago no idea when just had 10 gamers since,l so let's hope the players have a great campaign and the fanbase are more agitated and spur the players on to better .

UTV 

What a weird take of a friendly that is, and to focus on Legge so much? Thought Martin and Johnson were decent actually, bit poor from set pieces but in general an upgrade.

And to have a dig at the fans as well without actually being there yourself?  Be more agitated at a pre-season friendly? Oright pal.

Lads were decent I thought, not much to worry about - don't get what the fuss is all about.

Nice little friendly and good to be familiar with the bycars again.

• Like 3

UTV 

How did you watch it on a stream? I thought there was no stream?

4 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Still no Taylor? That must be some knock he's picked up.

Mr H you're scaring me, I was thinking exactly the same again after reading the info about the Sheff Wed game last night.  I do hope Taylor gets a fair shake and it's not a case of "Not invented here syndrome".

18 hours ago, ValeForever. said:

Went to the game tonight. I came away impressed. Thought we looked a decent outfit against opposition from the league above. Controlled sections of the game & unfortunate to lose the game.

Played some good football & there were some good individual performances. Covolan had a good game with a couple of super saves. One from a header late 2nd half was unbelievable. 

Pett looks a very tidy player, comfortable on the ball & can turn on a sixpence. Walker looked steady & is a presence infront of the back 3. Conlon worked hard. Rodders & Wilson worked hard but couldn't quite get into the game as they'd have wanted.

Martin, Johnson & Jones did well as a back 3. All 3 look like big lads & we're decent & strong on the ball.

Overall thought we more than held our own against them. We conceded the 2nd after just making subs & the first was from a corner which DC will not be happy about.

Only pre season but was great to be back in Vale Park & I thought we looked a decent outfit at times.

Great to get a positive prospective from someone who went to game, thanks, keep believing it could be our golden year 

29 minutes ago, philmpv said:
1 hour ago, Breadwinner said:
UTV 

How did you watch it on a stream? I thought there was no stream?

It was on Up the Vale m8 he was filming it off his phone .

About 100 folk watching it then eventually went to 224 at the end of game ,I wouldn't usually watch it but it being a friendly thought I'd give it a watch .

• Like 1