Match Thread: Port Vale v Sheff Wed (friendly)

robf

Is it a formation thing, or are they just crash hot down the wings?

I'm not watching tonight, but certainly against NF it was caused by the wing backs pushing way too far up almost all the time and playing almost as attacking wingers, then jogging back as if they had all the time in the world, MB especially. Heat was an excuse that day though can't use that tonight!

Advert:

Are we anticipating that we are strong and tall enough in the centre of defence that we can afford to be weak in the full back areas to make gains elsewhere on the pitch? Let the opposition attack and over commit down the wings, win the cross and expose them. Brave tactic however you concede ground somewhere whatever tactic you use.

Pushing wingbacks forward is always going to leave a gap behind them if they ball breaks down, because you can guarantee that an opposition forward will be told to pull wide and drag one of the centre halves with them to create more gaps for when that ball does break down. That’s not the fault of the wingbacks. But when they push on it’s up to the holding midfielders to drop in and help the 3 centre halves out. I’m not concerned by that at all. 

Edited by PV1973

Advert:

Advert:

Can someone who was there tonight give a rating on Wilsons performance. I was excited by his signiture but a tad disappointed in his performance against Forrest. Did brilliantly with his effort that was tipped over in that game but was slightly concerned about his endeavour to track & win the ball back. How did he do overall tonight?

Can someone who was there tonight give a rating on Wilsons performance. I was excited by his signiture but a tad disappointed in his performance against Forrest. Did brilliantly with his effort that was tipped over in that game but was slightly concerned about his endeavour to track & win the ball back. How did he do overall tonight?
Toss.

Advert:

Will never read too much into pre-season but, a few obvious things stand out.

This is a squad designed to play with three CBs and wingbacks. The WBs play as high as the forwards and have more creative responsibilities than defensive. Worrall played as forward as he did last season so I wouldn't fret that he'll be held back, he's just expected to track.

I was very impressed by the CBs who started and Jones on the left surprised me and looked technically very sound. Worrall looked a bit lost with his marking but grew into the game on the right.

Covolan made 2/3 very good stops and caught more crosses tonight than we did last season.

The midfield all love the ball and there were a few passages of play where we knocked it around nicely.

Rodney is sharp. I expect Wilson to improve on that showing (he was poor tonight) but won't be making overall judgements yet.

We're absolutely huge. Martin, Walker, and Johnson are absolute monsters.

Still absolutely no idea how we'll fare. Not convinced going forward yet.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, rob1983 said:
5 minutes ago, Mark-Valiant said:

Toss.

Cheers mate, informative 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joe B said:

Will never read too much into pre-season but, a few obvious things stand out.

This is a squad designed to play with three CBs and wingbacks. The WBs play as high as the forwards.

I was very impressed by the CBs who started and Jones on the left surprised me and looked technically very sound. Covolan made 2/3 very good stops.

The midfield all love the ball and there were a few passages of play where we knocked it around nicely.

Rodney is sharp. I hope Wilson improves on that showing.

We're absolutely huge. Martin, Walker, and Johnson are absolute monsters.

Still absolutely no idea how we'll fare.

Pretty toothless up front imo