Match Thread: Port Vale v Sheff Wed (friendly)

robf

Advert:

Can someone who was there tonight give a rating on Wilsons performance. I was excited by his signiture but a tad disappointed in his performance against Forrest. Did brilliantly with his effort that was tipped over in that game but was slightly concerned about his endeavour to track & win the ball back. How did he do overall tonight?
He spent more time tracking back than anything else tonight. I'm not sure what to make of him

1 minute ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

How was Proctor when he came on? Could he be a decent alternative if Wilson isn’t firing? 

Didn't do much. Can't really judge as we didn't get forward much late on. Big lad. 

Edited by Joe B

Wouldn’t draw too much conclusion about a signing based on their performances in a friendly. Time to judge for me is when the season starts. I think LWB will be between benning and Jones. Plus Jones will also provide competition for Johnson as the left sided centre half. Clearly we’re going to use a long throw too, much like cheltenham did last season.

Advert:

Based on what I have seen the jury is still out. We do look toothless and lacking a goal threat. Wilson has not shown anything that I thought he would and yes the old friendlies are meaningless adage does apply to the results, but not the performances. 

The performances to me seem to weigh more towards another season of mid table stuff, not the big promotion charge everyone, including me hopes for. 

Went to the game tonight. I came away impressed. Thought we looked a decent outfit against opposition from the league above. Controlled sections of the game & unfortunate to lose the game.

Played some good football & there were some good individual performances. Covolan had a good game with a couple of super saves. One from a header late 2nd half was unbelievable. 

Pett looks a very tidy player, comfortable on the ball & can turn on a sixpence. Walker looked steady & is a presence infront of the back 3. Conlon worked hard. Rodders & Wilson worked hard but couldn't quite get into the game as they'd have wanted.

Martin, Johnson & Jones did well as a back 3. All 3 look like big lads & we're decent & strong on the ball.

Overall thought we more than held our own against them. We conceded the 2nd after just making subs & the first was from a corner which DC will not be happy about.

Only pre season but was great to be back in Vale Park & I thought we looked a decent outfit at times.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Rodney no, Wilson yes tonight.

I don’t know what the plan is with Wilson. I thought he was a target man, with excellent finishing. Instead he looked like he was running all over the place (tracking back yes) like a latter era Pope when we were struggling under Aspin. 

I hate to say it but...don’t give Theo a push out of the club just yet! 

• Haha 1

Just now, TJHValiant said:

I don’t know what the plan is with Wilson. I thought he was a target man, with excellent finishing. Instead he looked like he was running all over the place (tracking back yes) like a latter era Pope when we were struggling under Aspin. 

Wilson has never and will never be a target man. Problem was tonight that he only had once chance and blazed it. I assume the 18 yard box is where he's expected to do the business. Theo is in my bottom three Vale strikers all time. Get him gone.

• Like 2

Advert:

3 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Wilson has never and will never be a target man. Problem was tonight that he only had once chance and blazed it. I assume the 18 yard box is where he's expected to do the business. Theo is in my bottom three Vale strikers all time. Get him gone.

Agree, get him gone asap. 

7 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Ridiculous. 

• Like 3

Forget Theo. He's had more than enough chances to impress and not taken any of them. DC has sidelined him and rightly so - I'd take a punt on Eden Bailey or another young loan signing before putting him back in a Vale shirt.

As for Wilson, judge him after 15/20 games in League 2, noy a few friendlies against higher league opposition.

Edited by gavcradd

I think I must be on my own for thinking that Wilson looked decent, did not have much service but felt he held the ball up well, linked the play and yes he snatched at the one chance he had but for me he did well and thought he had a better game than Rodney. 

• Like 1

Advert:

I really wouldnt read to much into these friendlys yes we didnt look amazing going forward but this isnt the league pre season friendlys are absolutely no indicator to how we will play in the league, judgement day it Northampton game and the few weeks following thats where we will see where we are at

Considering we have a complete new set of players I thought we played really well together. In time the understanding can only improve. Conlan and Pett look strong with Walker looking a step up on Joyce. Defensively DC has a difficult call to make, very impressed with Johnson. Covolan looks like a good investment, agile, commanding and very vocal with his defenders. If there was a down side, still no cutting edge up front, but as others have said it is early days.. oh for a Tony Naylor or Andy Jones to walk through the door.