22 minutes ago, 1 said:

How is Legge a fan favourite?

Id literally keep Brisley as back up to a new decent CB rather than him.

He's got his own thread Leon Legge MBE and is very well thought of , well that's my view, you clearly disagree that is fine.

• Haha 1

Advert:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Smith played 46 league games for us in L1, in a season where if Norman hadn't flogged two of our best players, we would have stayed up. Despite one bonkers and one useless manager., and an acid fuelle

My opinion on this is that what has happened today is what many have been crying out for in an age.  Since Adams left we have promoted from within apart from the Bruno experiment. How many of us

Very sad for Scott Brown and Luke Joyce. They go with my thanks for their efforts. Losing Tom Pope is equally sad but that’s the right decision. 

Posted Images

Scott Brown - OFFER NEW CONTRACT
James Gibbons - UNDER CONTRACT
Adam Crookes - RELEASE
Luke Joyce - RELEASE
Leon Legge - RELEASE
Nathan Smith - UNDER CONTRACT
David Worrall - UNDER CONTRACT
Manny Oyeleke - RELEASE
Tom Pope - OFFER NEW CONTRACT
Tom Conlon - UNDER CONTRACT
Cristian Montaño - OFFER NEW CONTRACT
Theo Robinson - UNDER CONTRACT - RELEASE.
Mark Cullen - RELEASE
Kurtis Guthrie - RELEASE
Zak Mills - RELEASE
Shaun Brisley - RELEASE
Jake Taylor - UNDER CONTRACT
Danny Whitehead - UNDER CONTRACT - RELEASE
David Amoo - UNDER CONTRACT
Scott Burgess - UNDER CONTRACT
Devante Rodney - UNDER CONTRACT
Harry McKirdy - RELEASE
Ryan Campbell-Gordon - UNKNOWN
David Fitzpatrick - RELEASE
Daniel Trickett-Smith - RELEASE
Alex Hurst - OFFER NEW CONTRACT
Dino Visser - RELEASE
Tom Scott - UNKNOWN

21 minutes ago, Wrex said:

A footballer who is given a ten game ban and then breaks his arm in a freak accident isn't someone with an injury history. Particularly when they have a decade of 40+ games a season behind them

I didn’t mean he’s injury prone. He’s just past it. Others we should get rid of are injury prone. Two separate categories.

• Like 1

Will be interesting to see if Brown gets a new contract. 1 year as first team if it’s not too expensive. I know I put have him on the bench potentially in my break down, but that’s a waste of money if he’s not starting. The only one for me in any doubt. I’ll be scratching my head if we offer new contracts to any others who aren’t already under contract apart from Montano.

Edited by 1

Scott Brown - Offer 1 Year
Tom Pope - Difficult one. He'd be 36 a few games in, but is one of the best in L1/L2 at hold up play and heading. If Clarke is minded to set up for floating crosses to a target man, offer 1 year as an impact sub
Cristian Montaño - Risky injury record, not as bad as some but not great. Offer 1-2 Years
Alex Hurst - Offer 2 Years, ship him out on a long loan for some non league hoofing, getting battered and refining his crossing under pressure from the fullback. 
Dino Visser - I'd like to see us sign a youth goalkeeper, send them out on loan for 46 games, and if Visser is fit again after the training injury, Offer 1 Year

Adam Crookes - Release
Luke Joyce - Release
Leon Legge - Release
Manny Oyeleke - Massive shame, but release. Averages 15 league appearances a season, madness. 
Mark Cullen - Release
Kurtis Guthrie - Release
Zak Mills - Release
Shaun Brisley - Release
David Fitzpatrick - Release
Daniel Trickett-Smith - Release
Harry McKirdy - Release

Theo Robinson - Mutual termination 
Danny Whitehead - Mutual termination
David Amoo - Too injury prone, too inconsistent. Mutual termination

Ryan Campbell-Gordon - Impossible to say 
Tom Scott - ""

• Like 1

Advert:

Might be different in 6 months but at this moment in time he isn't good enough to be a regular LW starter for a  promotion charge. That isn't a criticism, he's made 14 league appearances, he's brand new. He's very energetic, capable of beating the full back but his crossing is below par. Unless he reaches Amoo's level by August, persevering instead of signing an experienced winger would cost goals and points. 

• Like 1

Good afternoon fellow Valiants,

One hope's you are doing well on what is a glorious afternoon here in the Pottery capital of the world. Spring really is in the air today isn't it friends?

Here are the Valiants that one would like to see stay at the Wembley Of The North in our quest to bring glory back to the streets of Burslem:

Mr Worrall.

Mr Conlon.

If Mrs Shanahan, Mr Clarke and Mr Flitcroft are serious about bringing glory back to the streets of Burslem, they should seriously consider taking every player into an office, regardless of their contract situation, and say "YOU'RE FIRED!"

All the very best,

Jeff.

Edited by Jeff.
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

All well and good, but the remit is to develop young players.  Where does signing experienced players sit with that? 

Still need a couple I would presume. Suppose it depends how ready the younger players are

Advert:

16 hours ago, Wrex said:

Danny Whitehead - UNDER CONTRACT

Thats the most depressing thing I have ever seen on here.

Lets hope we just pay him off and cut our loses on him.

1 hour ago, Nofinikea said:

All well and good, but the remit is to develop young players.  Where does signing experienced players sit with that? 

The remit is to get out of this dogsht league and worry about development from 2022/2023 onwards. 

Players under contract are:

James Gibbons - UNDER CONTRACT
Nathan Smith - UNDER CONTRACT
David Worrall - UNDER CONTRACT
Tom Conlon - UNDER CONTRACT
Theo Robinson - UNDER CONTRACT
Jake Taylor - UNDER CONTRACT
Danny Whitehead - UNDER CONTRACT
David Amoo - UNDER CONTRACT
Scott Burgess - UNDER CONTRACT
Devante Rodney - UNDER CONTRACT

That's 10 players out of the 20 we're allowed over the age of 21 (I believe that's the right age barrier). Whether I would keep those players or not, those are the ones we are stuck with going forward. Which means we have to be clever about the remaining 10 spots.

We need a goalkeeper. There has been a lot of arguments this season regarding Scott Brown. Personally he's still one of the best keepers in the division. If the management team think they can find better, then release - but I would offer him a contract. Any back up has to be a young keeper because we can't really afford to waste another spot on someone who is going to warm the bench. The only way I think this could be different is if Brown starts coaching and becomes player coach and is more of a back up. At least that way we get more out of two over aged keepers.

For the rest of the squad I would definitely only keep:

• Alex Hurst - Young and showing enough that he deserves a place.
  • Cristian Montano - Love him as a full back and can change a game.
  • Kurtis Guthrie - I know he's yet to score but he is working hard and, as a team player, has been more effective that any of the other central strikers (Rodney has always been better in a wide position)

That leaves another 7 spots to fill, so the following players are a maybe:

• Scott Brown (See reasons above)
  • Tom Scott - not sure how old he will be
  • Ryan Campbell-Gordon - young enough, just depends if that coaching staff deem him to be good enough.
  • Luke Joyce - Good player but is advancing in age.
  • Tom Pope - Again, good player in his day but isn't getting any younger. If he is on a good wage I would give him a year as I agree with previous comments that he is still effective at holding the ball up and can score.

Leaving the following players to be released:

• Mark Cullen - too injury prone
  • Zak Mills - not done it here. There must be something to him as Oldham liked him but we haven't seen it. I don't think he's as awful as people make out and has a goal in him BUT he is too prone to a defensive lapse that usually gets punished.
  • Shaun Brisley - we have enough defenders that can defend but can't actually play football.
  • Dino Visser - Just no room for two older keepers, unless we go down the coaching route I previously mentioned - but if so I think we would need better to justify it.
  • Harry McKirdy - even if he was involved he can literally only play in an advanced no. 10 position which, with restrictions, we cannot afford.
  • David Fitzpatrick - has been a steady eddie but we need better if we want to push on.
  • Daniel Trickett-Smith - not proven anything at this level.
  • Leon Legge - I still think he is our best centre half but he is aging in years and we cannot just have dominant centre halves, we need some that can play too - and we already have Smith. But if contract rumours are true we may still have him, which wouldn't be awful but would take up another space.
  • Manny Oyeleke - Cracking player when he plays but that's not often enough unfortunately. If he can play until the end of the season without getting injured and prove his fitness then he would be a maybe.
  • Adam Crookes - Not attacking enough for a left back. Not strong enough as a centre half. Can only really play on the left of a back three and even then his distribution is poor.

Of the players under contract I would try to move Robinson and Whitehead on but we may not have a choice so as of right now they're in.

Players id keep

Brown, Scott, gibbons, Smith, Campbell gordan, crookes, worrall,hurst,Taylor,conlon,montano, Guthrie,rodney and pope. 

Release the out of contract ones like brisley Cullen and mills. Not sure what to do with Robinson burgess and Whitehead as I'd want rid but can't see anybody wanting to take them. Might be harsh on me saying release visser and Joyce but we don't want be having too many over 30 aged players. 

Edited by Andy Proctor
Missed conlon out

5 minutes ago, Andy Proctor said:

Players id keep

Brown, Scott, gibbons, Smith, Campbell gordan, crookes, worrall,hurst,Taylor,conlon,montano, Guthrie,rodney and pope. 

Release the out of contract ones like brisley Cullen and mills. Not sure what to do with Robinson burgess and Whitehead as I'd want rid but can't see anybody wanting to take them. Might be harsh on me saying release visser and Joyce but we don't want be having too many over 30 aged players. 

We might have to pay them off to free up space. 

Clarkes comments about holding midfielders and having hardly any left sided players tells me that they’ll be a midfield clearout and at least 1, maybe 2 of the centre halves will go. Interesting hearing him talk about seeing Crookes as a left back too. 

Edited by PV1973

Advert:

Burgess under contract isn’t too bad. Probably one of the lower paid. Amoo, Pope and Robinson being released should free up some significant capital. 20 players is mad, need 22.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nofinikea said:

Where was that said?

Jesus man, stop being so pedantic. Goal #1 is to escape this dreadful embarrassment of a league that makes us lose money on opening the away end most of the time. Or shall we deliberately languish down here for another five years on purpose waiting for youth players to become good enough to go up.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Interesting hearing him talk about seeing Crookes as a left back too. 

Yeah, I noticed that quote too :-

"...not one left-footed centre half. In my opinion Crookesy can play there but he is a left back."

If Clarke sees him as a left-back then he'll surely be released in the Summer, as he's poor at left-back IMO and better at centre-back? (and even then, preferably when playing 3 centre-backs together).

Clarke also remarked that Crookes defended well on Tuesday, but commented on his distribution and quality on the ball.