onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

Advert

Hmmm..  there's having a high turnover of players within an existing management structure and there's having a high turnover of players due to a changing management structure.
Either we back Clarke as a club for the long term, come what my or we keep resetting the clock.  That means we don't lose our and wet our knickers every time we lose a few...  can't see it myself but we'll see.

You’re talking nonsense

8 hours ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

Yeah, I noticed that quote too :-

"...not one left-footed centre half. In my opinion Crookesy can play there but he is a left back."

If Clarke sees him as a left-back then he'll surely be released in the Summer, as he's poor at left-back IMO and better at centre-back? (and even then, preferably when playing 3 centre-backs together).

Clarke also remarked that Crookes defended well on Tuesday, but commented on his distribution and quality on the ball.

It seemed like virtually every time the ball came near him he just smashed it back up the pitch without looking to keep possession, IMO it was one of the reasons why we couldn’t get a foothold in the game, so I can understand Clarke’s comments about him. If he’s seen as just a left back by Clarke then I don’t see what future he has there, compare him to a Gibbo or a Mitch Clark for example, he isn’t mobile enough or has the energy or tenacity about him like those that can set him apart from a league 2 plodder that gets played at full back sometimes. 

8 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

We have got to back Clarke, whatever happens.  We need so stability, we can't just keep changing managers and expect to get success.  As I previously said, this means the fans need to grow up a bit and instead of turning on him when he has a sticky patch, we get behind him even more.  He won't get everyone he wants in summer, its unlikely that he will put a promotion team together in under 2-3 seasons due to squad restrictions, budgets and existing contracts.  So we have to be patient.  If by year 4 or 5 he isn't getting anywhere then we will have to look again but not before. 

Will Vale fans give him the time to do this?  

It’s not just vale fans it’s fans of every club in the country that’s how football is nowadays  teams get promoted then struggle the next season ie Northampton and sack the manager what goods stability when your heading for the conference fast as we were with askey   Clarke knows that next season if we ain’t challenging for the playoffs at this stage then his job will be under threat 

21 minutes ago, Eddie Ford said:

...never mind 4 or 5 years. No club does these days 

Exactly! Isn't the average spell of a manager about 2 years (if that)? Keeping a manager for 4 or 5 years is incredibly rare in recent times. (I do think that some Vale fans hark back to Rudge's time, but in that respect he was an absolute freak, same as Dario Gradi and Alex Ferguson).

Is the average Port Vale manager tenure all that different than many (/most) other clubs?

[EDIT : others had replied with similar points before I posted mine!......should type with more than one finger! 😆]

2 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

So we are expecting Clarke to change for promotion and develop youth inside 18 months?

Looks like we are 12 months away from Clarke out posts then. 

If you are waiting for Clarke and his team to develop youth team players into first team players you’ll be waiting along time if in 5 years time two youth team players make it to the first team I’ll be amazed so it’s looks like many years in league 2 unless we get relegated 

8 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Carol has appointed a DoF and he has appointed DC with the exact remit of developing youth.  So either you think Carol is talking <ovf censored> and the people she has employed to do this will ignore her and do there own thing or she has appointed the wrong people.

Developing young players isn’t that easy or every club would do it Crewe have got a fantastic academy and spend shed loads of money on it and they have struggled to bring players through over the last 10 years it’s a lovely dream to produce your own players 

It’s not immediate promotion that he needs to bring. It a genuine improvement where we can actually see that the side is progressing. 4/5 years is far to long, no matter would get that amount of time. For me we need to have improved to say top half next season and then push the year after. He will have had 3 windows to bring players in and 2 pre seasons. For me it’s about progress. If mid way through next season we’re in a similar place to now I imagine his position will be very unstable again 

He isn't going to develop any youth players in a year is he really. Its going to be a while before we see anything like that. The crewe team that got promoted last year was full of the same young players that got relegated from league one years ago. So you could say it will be at least 4 or 5 years before we start seeing any results on the youth front. What he will do in his first season is develop the younger players who are at the club already. We are talking about a manager that turned Zack Jules into a saleable asset so we know he's capable of doing it.

. Avoid relegation

. Deadwood to door

. A pro squad better than what we have

. Solid at home / not leaking goals

. Challenge for playoffs

. Develop youth

There’s at least 5 points of order before giving youngsters a run out. I realise development runs alongside this list, but in terms of making it a priority, give it 18 months.

4 minutes ago, Eddie Ford said:

This how I see it.

Unless they get success or see massive progress then a managers shelve life is very short & limited.

A Director of Football on the other hand is not under any pressure to win games on Saturday afternoon, so, he’s some kind of longevity.

The Director of Football will be building the academy side of it for the next 4 or 5 years which is a time frame most people on here are saying we need to see any productivity from the young players.

In the meantime the manager is obviously tasked with getting results on the pitch and if he does not get them, then he will be replaced but the replacement of the manager will not effect what the DOF & Carol are trying to build for the future.

In theory we could end up with 2 or 3 different managers over the next 4 or 5 years but that does not effect the bigger picture

Exactly. Seems like everyone has forgotten this but there was a bloke called David Flitcroft who was hired a few weeks ago to be our new director of football.

Flitcroft handles the recruitment, he builds the academy, he judges how well the manager is doing.

Clarke picks the team, motivates the players and sets the match day tactics. If he gets a new squad in the summer (be realistic and say half of them new new, assuming you keep the good half of the current squad) and can't get results out of them then he's out the door. Simple as.

Absolutely no point in having a director of football if we can't sack the manager because he's on some long term project and we can only judge him after five years.

I love the theory of not signing injury prone players.

Players who have good acceleration and are fast (like Amoo) generally tend to be more susceptible to muscle injuries.

Players whose game is taking time on the ball, showing the opposition the ball, and making them commit before moving into the space they vacate (like Manny) will often pick up knocks due to the type of tackles and fouls that are made on them.

I would imagine at some point in his career Rodney may pick up similar injuries to Amoo. Jack Wilshere is probably an example of the way Manny plays at a higher level.

You can sign a team of players who aren't injury prone but you tend to lose these key aspects of the game that are key to being a strong team.

Sometimes you get lucky and the players you sign with these attributes have a sustained period where they avoid injuries. Sometimes you sign these players after their lucky period or as the injuries start to become more frequent. Sometimes you get players who have lost these key attributes as a result of the injuries they have sustained or because they have adopted training methods to make their bodies more resilient.

You can sign a team of players with no injury record but you probably won't have a team with enough variety to succeed.

This is why managers up and down the continue to sign players with injury records because they tend to offer something different.

There are obviously exceptions to this generalisation.

Archived