Match Thread: Port Vale v Salford City

1 hour ago, toyahw said:

To be fair mate, it was quickly appreciated that Whitehead had nothing to do with it, It was just an unfortunate slip by their player. Whitehead had a poor game though.

I am going to come to the defence of Whitehead - having massacred him last week. I think he was steady. He seemed to make sensible if conservative decisions on the ball. But he needs thinking time and that's his main limitation. Would need a 50-75% reduction in that to play at a higher level. So its a curious game. I thought Montano was typically over ambitious in everything he did and their defender had him on toast all afternoon, but then he scored!

• Like 1

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great result today. The back five produced an absolute masterclass to restrict the most expensive attack in the league to very few clear-cut chances. Good to see Joyce and Conlon back, even though Tom

I Do agree with Rob . Phil Bowers is. a true vale fan . And I do think. He says what he see’s . I do enjoy Listening to Phil . On Radio sJoke . 

Never a dull Moment being a Vale fan. Those last few minutes have aged me.  Don't care how we do it all about the three points. The lack of creativity and strikers not scoring is a worry but we g

Posted Images

Great result today. The back five produced an absolute masterclass to restrict the most expensive attack in the league to very few clear-cut chances. Good to see Joyce and Conlon back, even though Tom had one of his quieter games. Whitehead looked a bit better than his dire showing last week. Still not convinced though. Wozza produced a decent display once again and who’d have thought he could jump that high! Monty was kept quiet, but there was no stopping that rocket; it really was a fantastic finish. I think Rodney needs a spell out of the side, he’s been poor now for a few weeks. 

Good performance by the Vale, we more than matched the big spenders. Salford looked a decent side, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them get promoted. 

I’ve seen numerous posts about Vale today which have basically how poor we were. Have some people been watching a different game? Yes, we struggled to create, but I thought as a whole we produced a solid performance. It was far, far better than the dross of the past three weeks. 

I understand why people could be concerned with the lack of chances we are creating, but just remember we are still without Manny, McKirdy, Cullen and Amoo who will without a doubt add much needed creativity. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, toyahw said:

To be fair mate, it was quickly appreciated that Whitehead had nothing to do with it, It was just an unfortunate slip by their player.

It’s a pity the RS commentary team didn’t see it in the same way! The manner they kept yawping on about what a poor challenge it was and whether our player would receive a yellow or a red card was very disappointing.

They later tried to say that it was quite a way from they - after Vale fans got in touch - but if this was the case just keep quiet!!! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Diego Maradona said:

I think that he needs to practise his shooting but was he ‘poor?’ He’s getting himself into shooting positions, hopefully he’ll start to find the net! 

I thought we did ok, overall. As I said, solid and created a few chances. 

He was better than last week but still awful. Has to be dropped next game. Certainly wasn’t solid. 

4 hours ago, TylerB said:

Gibson pissed his career away to a large extent because he can't keep a beer out of his hands outside of football. Also once tried to get out of community service by insisting he was "too busy" for it. A weapon of the highest order really.

Obviously deserves to break his leg then.

6 hours ago, soothsayer said:

It’s a pity the RS commentary team didn’t see it in the same way! The manner they kept yawping on about what a poor challenge it was and whether our player would receive a yellow or a red card was very disappointing.

They later tried to say that it was quite a way from they - after Vale fans got in touch - but if this was the case just keep quiet!!! 

I was listening to the Salford commentary, much better!

Just listened to that Scholes post match not very magnanimous in defeat is he!!??......

He mentions they had plenty of chances but I didn’t overly think they did. The penalty of course and the header and possibly the one Legge blocked were good chances the rest mainly 20-25 yarders at Brown.

The stats show a very even game in all stats bar possession and to be honest we did the same to Morecambe possession wise and lost!

When talking about being solid, I’m talking about the team (especially the defence) were solid. 

From reading the comments during the match I feel that Whitehead has been unfairly scrutinised because one or two people have made a negative comment about him. Then, what follows is others analyse his performance more than other players.

I’m not saying he played brilliantly but he wasn’t awful. We’ve lacked the ability to create chance and he got himself into a position to get a few shots away. Maybe (like Monty) if he had scored, there may not be as much criticism.

Also, when we critique a player there needs to be an understanding of a variety of other things: the opposition, how we set up etc. Last week he played in centre midfield that was generally overrun by the opposition because they put an extra man in the middle. Yesterday, we played a good Salford team whose midfield was comfortable on the ball and kept the ball.

How would people rate Monty and Conlon yesterday? Last night a couple of people commented about Monty not contributing very much until his goal. I felt, like some others, that Monty should have been subbed for Robinson. Of course, now I’m glad he was wasn’t. But he and Conlon weren’t great.

In my opinion,I feel that some people make knee-jerk, inconsistent comments. If two/three players are not having a good game, they are more than happy to criticise some more than others. It’s usually the new player who gets more criticism. 

• Like 5

Brown 8 two great saves loved his performance faultless 

Clark 8 galloping brilliant 

Legge 8 solid as a rock 

Smith 8 faultless 

Fitzpatrick 8 did anyone get past him.No tremendous 

Worrall 7 buzzed around set up the goal good combination play with Clark 

Joyce 7 dependable nothing flash but gets stuck in ,love this player 

Whitehead 7 kept having shots and miskicked after magical work by Clark at end of first half but kept having a go and that what we want .

Conlon 7 buzzed around worked hard would have liked see him more on the ball though 

Rodney 6 worked his socks off but struggled be involved in game but chase and harried and did his best in a game where he didn't see much ball 

Montano 7 great goal ok he wasn't as his best but kept plugging away fantastic awareness to get in there and put a fantastic goal in for the vale .

SUBS Robinson 10 he was hungry he was like a man possessed and played a major part in the win loved his cameo 

As the game wore on I thought there was only going be one winner and it wasn't us but we kept our shape and ground it out .

• Like 5

15 hours ago, TylerB said:

Unconvincing really but you'll take 3 points to end the slide no matter how it comes. We have the best defence and keeper in the league but we need so much more from the midfield and also need to find which forward suits us best in this 4-3-3. I can't help but think that Pope is still our best bet to at least start games. Amoo (when fit) and Worrall out wide with Monty an attacking left-back to give us a little more threat.

Pope is our best bet if you lump it up but playing any of the other 3 it needs to be played to feet which we havent been doing.

This was a really good win against a good team,i still think Monty is better at LB than on the wing,imo he has rarely had a good game on the wing,he knocks the ball past a player then runs in to them and waves his arms about that frustrates me,up until his goal he was poor again yesterday but what a goal and he can give you that tbf to him. I thought Fitzy had his best game for us against tricky players,Clark in the 2nd half was the Clark of last season,defence was superb.

I would like to see Theo start a run of games BUT you have to play it to his feet.

Onwards and Upwards

• Like 1

15 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Lazy mans boo boy...?!

I think he’s been poor (hence why he’s revived criticism).  However was excellent today. I still prefer Monty there due to the threat going forward. 

I dont think he has been as poor as some make out,he just isnt an attacking fullback like monty,he has been steady imo and a good league 2 LB,he has been part of a defence(not every game) that has concede 2 goals in 6 league games

• Like 1

1 hour ago, valefan16 said:

He mentions they had plenty of chances but I didn’t overly think they did. The penalty of course and the header and possibly the one Legge blocked were good chances the rest mainly 20-25 yarders at Brown.

The stats show a very even game in all stats bar possession and to be honest we did the same to Morecambe possession wise and lost!

He has to talk it up as let’s face it the bloke was a disaster at Oldham and then he tried to blame the owner hope he gets the Salford job till the end of the season cos that’ll stop any chance of them going up 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

This was a really good win against a good team,i still think Monty is better at LB than on the wing,imo he has rarely had a good game on the wing,he knocks the ball past a player then runs in to them and waves his arms about that frustrates me,up until his goal he was poor again yesterday but what a goal and he can give you that tbf to him. I thought Fitzy had his best game for us against tricky players,Clark in the 2nd half was the Clark of last season,defence was superb.

I would like to see Theo start a run of games BUT you have to play it to his feet.

Onwards and Upwards

I agree about Monty. Theo can also run the channels, as demonstrated yesterday. As a cameo, he showed us a masterclass yesterday. Hope he can do it for longer periods.

I know we’ve tinkered with formations to no great effect in the last couple of weeks, but we haven’t tried 5-3-2.

Given the shortage of wide players, the concerns about goals/chances and question marks over one of the three midfield positions, I think this might suit us. We’d have two attacking wing backs in Clark and Monty, a pretty solid looking midfield three of Joyce, Conlon and Worrall and Rodney/Pope or Theo/Cullen up top. Brisley hasn’t let us down yet and Crookes apparently is best on the left of a back three.