Match Thread: Port Vale v Salford City

9 hours ago, soothsayer said:

It’s a pity the RS commentary team didn’t see it in the same way! The manner they kept yawping on about what a poor challenge it was and whether our player would receive a yellow or a red card was very disappointing.

They later tried to say that it was quite a way from they - after Vale fans got in touch - but if this was the case just keep quiet!!! 

I don't see it that way at all.

I think it's the right and honest thing to say they thought it was a bad challenge and to say what they thought they saw.  I then thought it was the right and honest thing to then mention that fans watching with replays said there was no contact and to pass that information on. It's not a commentator's job to "just keep quiet" it's to comment on the game.

It's live commentary for goodness sake - they have to give an immediate view on the whole match picture without any replays, without a producer in the studio checking other camera angles and stuff. In my view, it's amazing that they get so much of it right in the first place and it's dead easy to criticise them with the benefit of hindsight.

Best wishes to Darron Gibson - wouldn't wish that sort of injury on anyone.

• Like 5

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great result today. The back five produced an absolute masterclass to restrict the most expensive attack in the league to very few clear-cut chances. Good to see Joyce and Conlon back, even though Tom

I Do agree with Rob . Phil Bowers is. a true vale fan . And I do think. He says what he see’s . I do enjoy Listening to Phil . On Radio sJoke . 

When talking about being solid, I’m talking about the team (especially the defence) were solid.  From reading the comments during the match I feel that Whitehead has been unfairly scrutinised bec

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Warren said:

I am going to come to the defence of Whitehead - having massacred him last week. I think he was steady

I agree. I like Whitehead. He's never going to wow with his elegance but he clearly does a really useful role in the squad. He can play in several roles in midfield (including cover for Joyce) and despite the misses his career goal record isn't bad so he could also add a few goals from midfield too. 

• Like 1

I thought Whitehead was ok this week after a very poor game the week before.

He was willing to push on past the forwards and had a few half chances which he scuffed, but he clearly has an eye for goal.

I've just realised, from my workings, every team we've played so far is in the top half, 3 in the plyoffs currently, Salford were unbeaten and we go to top of the table next.

Maybe we didn't think it was such a tricky start on paper but in hindsight, the teams we have played have all had pretty good starts to the season (maybe Exeter would expect slightly more but still). Whether or not we can break down the lower teams, time will tell.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mellor! said:

Obviously deserves to break his leg then.

Obviously not. Wouldn't wish that on any footballer.

He's been unlucky with injuries but also only has himself to blame for the way his career has been on such a downward spiral. He's made a small fortune so I'm sure he's content.

Edited by TylerB

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

Pope is our best bet if you lump it up but playing any of the other 3 it needs to be played to feet which we havent been doing.

Pope is as good on the floor as he is winning headers. If you get it into his feet his link up play is excellent. But our others players usually get suckered into lumping it at him far too often when he starts for us.

Edited by TylerB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, robf said:

I don't see it that way at all.

I think it's the right and honest thing to say they thought it was a bad challenge and to say what they thought they saw.  I then thought it was the right and honest thing to then mention that fans watching with replays said there was no contact and to pass that information on. It's not a commentator's job to "just keep quiet" it's to comment on the game.

It's live commentary for goodness sake - they have to give an immediate view on the whole match picture without any replays, without a producer in the studio checking other camera angles and stuff. In my view, it's amazing that they get so much of it right in the first place and it's dead easy to criticise them with the benefit of hindsight.

Best wishes to Darron Gibson - wouldn't wish that sort of injury on anyone.

Rob I agree up to a point that anyone can make a mistake however if you listen back they went on & on & on about it. To me if you’re uncertain then keep your powder dry.

2 hours ago, Coyney Valiant said:

He has to talk it up as let’s face it the bloke was a disaster at Oldham and then he tried to blame the owner hope he gets the Salford job till the end of the season cos that’ll stop any chance of them going up 

Sadly i think they will appoint a bigger name manager now like Paul Cook

1 hour ago, SFBT said:

I agree about Monty. Theo can also run the channels, as demonstrated yesterday. As a cameo, he showed us a masterclass yesterday. Hope he can do it for longer periods.

I am sure he can,didn't he have the 2nd best scoring record for minutes per goal last season?

A side note though for those chasing Maynard,how is he doing? i know how his team are doing

44 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

Rob I agree up to a point that anyone can make a mistake however if you listen back they went on & on & on about it. To me if you’re uncertain then keep your powder dry.

But the worst thing for a broadcaster would be silence. Especially potentially eight minutes of it while he was treated. If they were to "move on" from the incident then I reckon they would have got stick for that too... For instance, if Phil Bowers gets castigated for some fans for making his comments that aren't to do with the game. Even though some fans like them (I do I think it adds a dose of humour) some don't. But if he doesn't do that in this incident and comments on the incident, he's said to be going "on and on" about it.

He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

I think the commentators are in an invidious position because everyone has a particular style they like and a commentator can't do them all. Not only that but because everyone essentially has to listen to the commentary because they can only see the game through the stream, so what the commentator says is being heard by a much wider audience than usual. 

For me, Phil and Chris Birchall said what they saw from their position (and we all know from being at games that sometimes a person in one stand sees it different from another). They then very fairly put across the views of those with the benefit of a replay and took that onboard. I can't really see what else they could have done without the benefit of replays etc. I think when you are talking live for 90 mins you are never going to be infallible and on this occasion they correctly corrected themselves.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps I have taken it the wrong way and am maybe too touchy but I thought on Quest that Scholes came across as an absolute weapon. Because they are the media darlings they showed maybe 4 chances for them and only our goal. 

Scholes then said 'youve got to come to places like THIS ' , like this you arrogant twonk. I forgot Salford is twinned with The Bernabeau. 

Paul Cook and The Cowley sisters are linked with the job, Scholes can go back to his silly hobby of part owning them until he gets bored. 

5 minutes ago, robf said:

But the worst thing for a broadcaster would be silence. Especially potentially eight minutes of it while he was treated. If they were to "move on" from the incident then I reckon they would have got stick for that too... For instance, if Phil Bowers gets castigated for some fans for making his comments that aren't to do with the game. Even though some fans like them (I do I think it adds a dose of humour) some don't. But if he doesn't do that in this incident and comments on the incident, he's said to be going "on and on" about it.

He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

I think the commentators are in an invidious position because everyone has a particular style they like and a commentator can't do them all. Not only that but because everyone essentially has to listen to the commentary because they can only see the game through the stream, so what the commentator says is being heard by a much wider audience than usual. 

For me, Phil and Chris Birchall said what they saw from their position (and we all know from being at games that sometimes a person in one stand sees it different from another). They then very fairly put across the views of those with the benefit of a replay and took that onboard. I can't really see what else they could have done without the benefit of replays etc. I think when you are talking live for 90 mins you are never going to be infallible and on this occasion they correctly corrected themselves.

Some good points Rob . I myself was critical of the commentary the other week but I agree it's a difficult task 

However distinguishing between Legge and Smith is far from difficult !! As happened when apparently Legge hit a half volley over the bar in the first half 

2 hours ago, Vale Fan In DGardens said:

Brown 8 two great saves loved his performance faultless 

Clark 8 galloping brilliant 

Legge 8 solid as a rock 

Smith 8 faultless 

Fitzpatrick 8 did anyone get past him.No tremendous 

Worrall 7 buzzed around set up the goal good combination play with Clark 

Joyce 7 dependable nothing flash but gets stuck in ,love this player 

Whitehead 7 kept having shots and miskicked after magical work by Clark at end of first half but kept having a go and that what we want .

Conlon 7 buzzed around worked hard would have liked see him more on the ball though 

Rodney 6 worked his socks off but struggled be involved in game but chase and harried and did his best in a game where he didn't see much ball 

Montano 7 great goal ok he wasn't as his best but kept plugging away fantastic awareness to get in there and put a fantastic goal in for the vale .

SUBS Robinson 10 he was hungry he was like a man possessed and played a major part in the win loved his cameo 

As the game wore on I thought there was only going be one winner and it wasn't us but we kept our shape and ground it out .

Fair assessment, thought we rode our luck today but no complaints. Created more chances but more work required on the final ball/ shot on goal.  Thought the Ref was poor, one thing that is consistent. Just think we ought to be more careful in the box as Refs very trigger happy to give penos, no home fans to get on their back. My Grimsby mate warned me as they lost 4-0 to Salford last week , 3 penos.

14 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Perhaps I have taken it the wrong way and am maybe too touchy but I thought on Quest that Scholes came across as an absolute weapon. Because they are the media darlings they showed maybe 4 chances for them and only our goal. 

Scholes then said 'youve got to come to places like THIS ' , like this you arrogant twonk. I forgot Salford is twinned with The Bernabeau. 

Paul Cook and The Cowley sisters are linked with the job, Scholes can go back to his silly hobby of part owning them until he gets bored. 

Probably a better atmosphere at an empty Vale Park than a normal game at Plastic Salford.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Santa said:

I found it odd when Scholes said "you come to these places, they make it difficult for you" like he was still at United and we were some sort of underdog.

Too true Santa probably needs to check how long Vale have been in the Football League compared to Salford. If  history not your strong point Mr Scholes last season we finished 8th you finished 11th.