Match Thread: Port Vale v Salford City

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great result today. The back five produced an absolute masterclass to restrict the most expensive attack in the league to very few clear-cut chances. Good to see Joyce and Conlon back, even though Tom

I Do agree with Rob . Phil Bowers is. a true vale fan . And I do think. He says what he see’s . I do enjoy Listening to Phil . On Radio sJoke . 

Never a dull Moment being a Vale fan. Those last few minutes have aged me.  Don't care how we do it all about the three points. The lack of creativity and strikers not scoring is a worry but we g

Posted Images

Wonder how many JA and Co will change for tuesday?  Will he go with this line up today or change about 4 or more players?

Just hope the players get some confidence from todays game and any win is greatly accepted.  Some games we win easy, some we nick 3 points and todays was a nick 3 points. 

It happens to us all the time, a team will be battered by Vale and they score and run away with all the points.

Edited by PVFC764

We got the rub of the green today. Maybe we haven't in the last three league games. Even though we did ourselves no favours either in those games. We were better today, but we haven't really hit our stride yet. Plus the injuries.

So eighth at this point in time is okay. I agree we miss the under rated Amoo. He gives us that bit of drive. 

Thought Fitz was good today. 

• Like 2

Best defensive record in the league. One of the worst in terms of goals. JA is still trying to unlock the secret of how to stay solid yet create much better chances than we are. He'll get there. Amoo and manny are big misses creatively, and mckirdy has yet to do it. Get those 3 back and on song, and that just could be the difference. Really don't think it matters who plays up top at the moment, all are being starved of decent service. Confident that all would score regularly if given proper service.

• Like 2

Went in to the garden at 3pm this afternoon to cut the grass, trim the hedge, and basically do anything that would keep me out of the house until 5pm.  The last 2 Saturdays, I stayed in to listen to us lose - doing my head in. Got back in to find Scott Brown has once again saved us, and that well known aerial target in the box big bad Wozza has knocked it down for Montano to crash it home late in the game, and not even Fergie time and another crap ref could stop us winning. Love Doha's video - thank you for making my afternoon.  Can now enjoy a pint tonight safe in the knowledge that we will score ten at Cambridge next week to go top of the league.  Funny old game Saint....

Despite my constant moaning all week, we're doing alright and I don't mind us being just outside the play offs for the rest of the year. We'll be hard to beat and not many sides will put a couple past us this season which will give us a great chance of getting something from games. But it's not working going forward and Askey has to find the right solution. I could have told him before a ball was kicked today that Roney up front alone wouldn't be the answer. He's an impact sub player for me currently - You might get away in some games playing him out wide. But once Amoo is back I think we'll see a little less of him. 

Up front is a problem. Robinson has goals in him but isn't always involved in games enough and can look very isolated in our 4-3-3. Cullen links play better but he gets frustrated easily, and he also gives us no sort of aerial threat. Pope does give us an aerial threat and someone that can hold up the ball, but fitness is an issue and so is age. He's definitely not got it in it to be starting games every week.

Edited by TylerB

45 minutes ago, PVFC764 said:

Wonder how many JA and Co will change for tuesday?  Will he go with this line up today or change about 4 or more players?

I think Rodney needs a rest tbh and I’d replace him with Robinson who did well when he came on. That’s our best back four so I’d leave that alone so the only other change I’d consider would be Burgess for Whitehead.

if we get three or four points from the next two games it would be a good return.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, PVFC764 said:

Just hope the players get some confidence from todays game and any win is greatly accepted.  Some games we win easy, some we nick 3 points and todays was a nick 3 points. 

It happens to us all the time, a team will be battered by Vale and they score and run away with all the points.

I get your point, but we were not battered today.

They had a couple of periods of dominance, but so did we. 

We battled and got the breaks, and as you say, this was the opposite of e.g. Morecambe.

We are much better against teams who play.

It's the one's who sit in that are the problem.

We have an excellent work ethic, which was evident today even though it wasn't gelling. Confidence and finesse will come from this base.

It could have gone either way.

Their keeper made some good saves.

They missed a penalty. We scored.

Opposite of last week.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SFBT said:

I get your point, but we were not battered today.

They had a couple of periods of dominance, but so did we. 

We battled and got the breaks, and as you say, this was the opposite of e.g. Morecambe.

We are much better against teams who play.

It's the one's who sit in that are the problem.

We have an excellent work ethic, which was evident today even though it wasn't gelling. Confidence and finesse will come from this base.

It could have gone either way.

Their keeper made some good saves.

They missed a penalty. We scored.

Opposite of last week.

Agree fully. Chris Birchall mentioned in the commentary at 0-0 that Salford never got into fifth gear. I might be wrong but I think that was because they were paying us a degree of respect.

Rodney had to do a similar job to what Cullen has done a few times already this season, put in the donkey work and let the striker who replaces him late in the game come on and reap the benefits.

13 minutes ago, Santa said:

Rodney had to do a similar job to what Cullen has done a few times already this season, put in the donkey work 

Yeah, it's not been easy for anyone playing there for us this season so far. Feeding on scraps. It's a bit like in the 4-3-3 it's more about laying off to one of the other two than being a "target man". Thought Rodders did okay, but still looks very raw. Theo looked good in the role when he came on. For the first time. But good on them for keeping going in a thankless role.

• Like 1

Wowsers, that was nervous stuff at the end. Today was the result of grit, determination and a bit (lot) of very good fortune that we’ve been missing in the last couple of weeks.

I actually can’t fathom this “he’s been anonymous but popped up with a stunner” criticism of Monty. He was our most creative player and yes, Worrall put a few crosses in, but very little came from them. He definitely has that X Factor and for me, one of the first names on the team sheet. He’s a L2 Antonio Valencia for me.

I’m not sure what to make of Rodney at the moment. Today he stood out like a work in progress I’m afraid and it was, dare I say it, a game where I think Pope would have excelled. 

I sort of agree with Askey when he says Theo changed the game. He certainly chased lost causes late in the game and obviously put the cross in for the goal. I maintain he’s no lone striker though. 

Tuesday will be an interesting test, they are scoring for fun. On a tight pitch and with them full of confidence and unlikely to sit back, I’d be inclined to go Monty at full back, Theo up top and Rodney wide.

Think some fans are overly negative tonight, it’s a great result against a side that’s easily the best in the league on paper.

Had this game taken place how it did after the Exeter performance fans would be purring about how solid we were and how we beat Salford etc but feel some are viewing in the context of the current form of the past two or three games. These are not Morecambe, Carlisle or Harrogate and have won 6 of 8 away in 2020 including today’s game... both they failed at Vale Park.

Henderson and Wilson were in the main kept very quiet.

We are superb defensively, 4 clean sheets in 6 and look to be very strong there, we just need to find the balance and confidence up front. We had some good positions such as Smith blazing over and Henderson had 2 or 3 and just seemed to panic over them.

Chuffed for Monty though, he was clearly hurting in his interview last weekend so great for him to rifle that one in.

As for the penalty feels a bit of a case of karma for us after last weeks miss which changed that game so will take it!

On a side note best wishes to Gibson, player who has had many injuries that has seen his career drop from playing at the very top (sure I was at old Trafford when he played for United in the Champions League against Bayern Munich), looked a horror one which sadly it as bad as it looks at his age may end his playing career.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Think some fans are overly negative tonight, it’s a great result against a side that’s easily the best in the league on paper.

Had this game taken place how it did after the Exeter performance fans would be purring about how solid we were and how we beat Salford etc but feel some are viewing in the context of the current form of the past two or three games. These are not Morecambe, Carlisle or Harrogate and have won 6 of 8 away in 2020 including today’s game... both they failed at Vale Park.

Henderson and Wilson were in the main kept very quiet.

We are superb defensively, 4 clean sheets in 6 and look to be very strong there, we just need to find the balance and confidence up front. We had some good positions such as Smith blazing over and Henderson had 2 or 3 and just seemed to panic over them.

Chuffed for Monty though, he was clearly hurting in his interview last weekend so great for him to rifle that one in.

As for the penalty feels a bit of a case of karma for us after last weeks miss which changed that game so will take it!

On a side note best wishes to Gibson, player who has had many injuries that has seen his career drop from playing at the very top (sure I was at old Trafford when he played for United in the Champions League against Bayern Munich), looked a horror one which sadly it as bad as it looks at his age may end his playing career.

I totally agree about the lens that performance was viewed through.

A very good and well made point.

Thought we did reasonably well today. Solid and made 1 or 2 chances. Think we need to appreciate that Salford are a decent side. Would have been happy with a point - delighted with 3.

I have to say that some of the comments by some folk during the game are ridiculous, especially about Whitehead. It was never a red - even the first time I saw it. I understand that emotions can run high but have a word! 

We know that the way we set up doesn’t produce a load of chances but it does make us hard to beat. 

Another point is thatI don’t think Askey will make another tactical blunder again like he did last week.

UTV