Just a general observation but it seems to me that local lads who play for us generate nowhere the same amount of praise, excitement or respect (if that’s the right word to use) amongst fans that players do who are brought in from other clubs. It’s like they’re taken for granted somewhat. 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 2

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sad to read in an article today that he has felt harshly thought of by some Vale fans who think of him as just some sort of lump who wins his fair share of headers and scores some tap ins. He's bang o

I'd disagree with that. I think every man and his dog except for VFIA and 007 has Gibbons and Smith in their starting 11, and that's only because one has doubts because they are stoke fans and the oth

On Tuesday, he did tons of unsung work running channels etc to help out Robinson. Theo still had to find the net and deserves credit but I think Pope must be an excellent partner to have upfront. His

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

Just a general observation but it seems to me that local lads who play for us generate nowhere the same amount of praise, excitement or respect (if that’s the right word to use) amongst fans that players do who are brought in from other clubs. It’s like they’re taken for granted somewhat. 

Yes, and yet he is discussed on here over and over again, so is clearly of interest to the fan base.

17 minutes ago, SFBT said:

Yes, and yet he is discussed on here over and over again, so is clearly of interest to the fan base.

I find the negativity towards him as a player quite staggering at times. A striker respected and maybe even feared by other clubs, but not appreciated at his own. Same goes for other homegrown lads too. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, PV1973 said:

I'd disagree with that. I think every man and his dog except for VFIA and 007 has Gibbons and Smith in their starting 11, and that's only because one has doubts because they are stoke fans and the other has fullbacks he wants to advertise.

As for Pope, he's not the player we used to have. Still a good option with plenty to offer, I don't want him to leave yet but we definitely need to prepare for life without him, hopefully Rodney down the centre may be that player. Obviously moments like the Man city goal spring to mind but I still maintain the opinion that I was more entertained by the football when Bennett was playing last season than Pope overall.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, PV1973 said:

"A prophet is without honour in his own land" to misquote JC!!

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

"A prophet is without honour in his own land" to misquote JC!!

It's true. The original quote said more or less the same thing: "No prophet is without honour except in his own land." Big admirer of Popey but I don't think he could claim to be the Messiah!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

It's true. The original quote said more or less the same thing: "No prophet is without honour except in his own land." Big admirer of Popey but I don't think he could claim to be the Messiah!

He has, however, been a very naughty boy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, glenpvfc said:

I'd disagree with that. I think every man and his dog except for VFIA and 007 has Gibbons and Smith in their starting 11, and that's only because one has doubts because they are stoke fans and the other has fullbacks he wants to advertise.

As for Pope, he's not the player we used to have. Still a good option with plenty to offer, I don't want him to leave yet but we definitely need to prepare for life without him, hopefully Rodney down the centre may be that player. Obviously moments like the Man city goal spring to mind but I still maintain the opinion that I was more entertained by the football when Bennett was playing last season than Pope overall.

Agree with this.  For me some seem unable to separate the 2020 version vs the all conquering 2013 version.  Agree still has something to offer, but doesn’t suit the high press game Askey has had most success with.  For me now Tom is a sub when we perhaps go 2 up top.

This does not mean I undervalue his past achievements, but i do see that his powers are much diminished, and for me other starting options suit us / Askeys preferred style better

• Like 2

1 hour ago, greengrass said:

Who would be the first person the opposition would be worried about and want to contain,!!!!

Well if you take last season as the most recent evidence then out of 37 appearances (where we were often on top in games) they ‘managed to contain’ his goal threat in 31 of these, or 33 if you include the 2 games when his goal contribution was from the penalty spot.

As you are asking this question in 2020 I would go for Worrall, Rodney, Conlon and Cullen as the first person they would look to contain.  If it was 2013 I would have given Pope and JMW as the answer.  I repeat it does not mean Tom has nothing to offer, but that his impact is now more limited and needs to be recognised as such.

In the attempt to have digs at Pope, you’re missing the obvious. Contain our full backs getting forward and overlapping (when Monty, Gibbo or Clarke are on the pitch), stop Joyce linking play with wingers and full backs, deny the space like Morecambe did for those players and screen the target man to try and stop the ball going into Popes feet or chest. 

Edited by PV1973

Just love how every ‘Pope is not God any more’ has to be classed as a dig.

Everyone has a shelf life, and Pope is close to his Best Before, but not beyond his Use By.  He was top notch when fresh.

P.S it was not a dig but an honest assessment

• Like 1