onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Fleetwood v Port Vale

PVFC764

2 hours ago, PV1973 said:

I think we all know that worrall and Amoo will be the starting wingers once the season kicks in, but so far it seems that Browne is doing himself the world of good.

It's not inconceivable that Browne will start over Amoo. Amoo was given a late reprieve for the Cheltenham home game where Askey had been planning to make the switch for most of the preceding week. He got Pugh to say some abusive things to him at the start of training on the Thursday or Friday and Amoo was flying for the rest of the session. Askey then had a conversation with him and decided to give him another match to reproduce his performance in training that day.

Equally think Rodney could play up front and Worrall in midfield. I think he's equally strong in both positions. Rodney would probably get more goals and add a bit of physicality at set pieces.

Advert

It's not inconceivable that Browne will start over Amoo. Amoo was given a late reprieve for the Cheltenham home game where Askey had been planning to make the switch for most of the preceding week. He got Pugh to say some abusive things to him at the start of training on the Thursday or Friday and Amoo was flying for the rest of the session. Askey then had a conversation with him and decided to give him another match to reproduce his performance in training that day.
Equally think Rodney could play up front and Worrall in midfield. I think he's equally strong in both positions. Rodney would probably get more goals and add a bit of physicality at set pieces.

Against Walsall away I thought Browne was excellent and Amoo needs to up his game to play consistently this season. I think Browne’s work rate will count for more thank Amoo might think

52 minutes ago, Joe B said:

If he can learn to not gas out after 60 minutes and avoid injury, I think Conlon has the most potential in our squad (bar maybe Gibbo).

Has all the technical fundamentals, has that innate aggression which is hard to find; just stamina and injuries to sort. Really rate him, especially when he was giving license to get forward last season.

I think I'd prefer a flat out Conlon for 60 minutes over a 90% Conlon for 90 minutes. We have a lot of strength in the area so replacing him in the last 30 isn't  a big problem. He seems on of those players who loses a lot if his intensity drops just a little.

38 minutes ago, toyahw said:

I think the consensus is he got a lot better in this respect, and others, last season. I was disappointed when we kept him over Hannant at the time. I'm not now. Improving players is key for us. And we seem to have done it with Conlon. Always like players I don't rate to prove me wrong.

Arguably our best player for the month before lockdown. He's got quick feet which makes him a threat now he's adapted to playing further forward. Helps balance the team on the left. Gone from being around the first team at Christmas to a pretty certain starter in September I would think.

8 minutes ago, fraggle said:

Against Walsall away I thought Browne was excellent and Amoo needs to up his game to play consistently this season. I think Browne’s work rate will count for more thank Amoo might think

Hard to tell from videos but Rodney seems as quick as Amoo. Its pace that Amoo had over the other contenders last season. If there he isn't uniquely quick in the squad I think you are right and he'll need to consistently offer his A game. Does seem Browne is making an early push to be part of the front 3.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

If he can learn to not gas out after 60 minutes and avoid injury, I think Conlon has the most potential in our squad (bar maybe Gibbo).

Has all the technical fundamentals, has that innate aggression which is hard to find; just stamina and injuries to sort. Really rate him, especially when he was giving license to get forward last season.

Him and Burgess are big players for us alongside the old head in Joyce. Unbelievable that we also have Oyeleke, one of our most talented players, and Whitehead waiting in the wings in the middle of the park, compared to some of the dross we've had to endure in recent years.

If we sign a decent backup keeper, a proper left-back and another striker we will undoubtedly have the strongest squad we have had in a very, very long time.

Just going off on a tangent, I'm still trying to get my head around Fleetwood's no live stream ruling.

The only reasons I could think of was to protect their tactics and/or trialists from being seen.

But post-match we've had plenty of photos and a highlights clip on YouTube so what was the point of the "restricted media access" thing?

Was it to protect the innocent from seeing Joey Barton having a hissy fit on the sidelines?

Conlon, Browne, Burgess, Smith, Gibbons.  We’re well blessed with talented players who’re still a fair way off reachIng their peak.  Perhaps this season we can also add Rodney, Hurst and a couple of the other fringe youngsters.  If they each only improve by a small margin this season it’s puts us in a really great place.

Why are we giving Fitzpatrick playing time? Unless Askey was kidding about him only being at the Vale to keep his fitness up. With having a short preseason and not many friendlies booked it seems crazy that our own signed up players are not getting enough playing time at the expense of doing someone a favour. 

5 minutes ago, rayzer said:

Why are we giving Fitzpatrick playing time? Unless Askey was kidding about him only being at the Vale to keep his fitness up. With having a short preseason and not many friendlies booked it seems crazy that our own signed up players are not getting enough playing time at the expense of doing someone a favour. 

Fair point Ray.

12 minutes ago, rayzer said:

Spot on. I wonder if we might sign him. I know what Askey said but he can't have been on much at Macc and it does seem silly to be playing him. Training yes but not in games.

2 hours ago, rayzer said:

See The Sages post just above yours. Askey may  be looking at him as an alternative to Monty as left back?? Who knows. I know it’s early days but in 2 friendly games we’ve already seen our left exposed on more than one occasion. 

4 hours ago, JRC said:

I think only one trialist in the second half reading reports and watching the video

Brown

Gibbons Brisley Crookes Fitzpatrick

Burgess Joyce Hurst

Worrall Pope Amoo

Other than Fitzpatrick I don’t believe any other trialists played in today’s game. 

10 hours ago, Diego Maradona said:

Monty (left back) is a weakness. Teams will look to exploit this. He seemed a little off the pace and again ‘out of position’. Even though I’ve only read the report and watched 2/3 minutes of highlights - he seems lacking at left back when being asked to defend. Cover required. All other areas of team/squad is well balanced but obviously a striker would see us pushing on.

There is one comment in the report and two crosses in the clip of any kind of crosses from the left. It's impossible to comment on a player's performance from the Fleetwood game. The cross for the goal was nothing to do with him being out of position. Their player did a Guppy where he made half a yard and swung a decent ball in. First half against Blackpool Sullay Kaikai did the same thing at least 3 times down our right side. The biggest defensive blunder in either game was by Mills at rightback.

5 hours ago, PV1973 said:

See The Sages post just above yours. Askey may  be looking at him as an alternative to Monty as left back?? Who knows. I know it’s early days but in 2 friendly games we’ve already seen our left exposed on more than one occasion. 

C J Hamilton got down our left side a number of times in the second half against Blackpool. Given Fitzpatrick hasn't done much preseason it doesn't prove an awful lot. But on the limited amount seen he didn't look any better defensively than Montano and offered less going forward. Biggest criticism of Montano in the Blackpool game was he gave away two relatively cheap freekicks.

There's a little bit of damned if you do and damned if you don't with fullbacks. If a fullback doesn't get forward much then we want to replace them with a "modern fullback." When they do get forward we inevitability criticise them for being out of position defensively. 

Archived