Women commentators on the TV

I used to watch man city women's regularly when I lived in the UK..it's a different game but it's entertaining, almost always goals and the skill level is good. I've enjoyed watching women's football more than watching the vale in recent years.

As for punditry, there are so many awful make pundits, I'm happy for someone else to get a try. 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The same as my view on men commentating on football matches. 

The England women’s football team who are fully paid professionals wouldn’t beat Hanley town say no more

Nice to see that this topic is still running.  Unfortunately I can't add anything as the wife will be in from the pub shortly and I have the ironing to finish.

I am not opposed to women commentators and pundits. I am contemplating if it is credible for a woman player to be appearing as an ex player. A woman would get snapped in half in a men's game. But to be fair they do generally say some sensible things from a coaching / technical perspective.

21 hours ago, toyahw said:

I can't stand squeaky voices. On TV or radio. Male or female. There are some top notch ladies. My favourites are E R-B , Kells and Tanja Arnold (Rugby League). Sue Barker of course. But I can not stand squeeky voices. And a lot of men fall into this category too.

Can't be doing with that. It just not work for me. Can't understand a word they are are saying.

We have certainly seen some dire football in the two seasons we tried to go out of the league. Lack of skill etc. But with womens football there are more serious deficiencies, like not being strong enough to get corners across, less shots from out of the box because they can't reach, goalkeepers - oh heck. It is a drone like game and the talent pool is smaller. Doesn't transcend from sport to entertainment for me.

Much better opportunity in a game like darts. Massive advantage there because bound to be fitter and have better concentration. 

Edited by Warren
add

10 minutes ago, Warren said:

We have certainly seen some dire football in the two seasons we tried to go out of the league. Lack of skill etc. But with womens football there are more serious deficiencies, like not being strong enough to get corners across, less shots from out of the box because they can't reach, goalkeepers - oh heck. It is a drone like game and the talent pool is smaller. Doesn't transcend from sport to entertainment for me.

Much better opportunity in a game like darts. Massive advantage there because bound to be fitter and have better concentration. 

You have to remember that in the years after WW1 women's football in this country frequently drew bigger crowds that men and was extremely popular - so popular in fact, that the FA banned it.  I wasn't allowed to play football at school in the early 60s.  Women have been fighting against this sort of prejudice for years. 

Some the stuff you talk about in your post is, with respect, garbage Warren.  Not strong enough to get corners across - do me a favour, i can do that now and I'm approaching 70!  Less shots from outside the box because they can't reach the keeper?  Have you actually watched any women's football?

3 hours ago, Aussie Rules said:

It beggars belief there is opposition to women pundits in the mens' game, What next? opposition to women buying English League football clubs...

Years ago, back in the '80's [or '90's] there was a Channel 4 series called 'The Manageress' [Cherie Lunghi of 'Borookside'  fame comes to mind] comes to mind

The simple premise was that a woman runs a football club, endures setbacks and opposition and ultimately experiences success. It drew favourable viewing figures at the time, but many commented that it was pure fantasy and that we would never see the day

But why not now, or soon? There are increasing numbers of women with experience of playing football and indeed management in the women's game. Men manage in the women's game, indeed that was the norm at one time

Are there any examples of a woman managing/coaching a men's team? Possibly abroad? 

Many males didn't think women could officiate in the men's game, but that has happened to the extent that happily its hardly commented on any more

Would be a positive move if women managing men's teams became part of the 'new normal'

Points-with-Bone

• Thanks 1

On 13/07/2020 at 22:39, Jacko51 said:

You have to remember that in the years after WW1 women's football in this country frequently drew bigger crowds that men and was extremely popular - so popular in fact, that the FA banned it.  I wasn't allowed to play football at school in the early 60s.  Women have been fighting against this sort of prejudice for years. 

Some the stuff you talk about in your post is, with respect, garbage Warren.  Not strong enough to get corners across - do me a favour, i can do that now and I'm approaching 70!  Less shots from outside the box because they can't reach the keeper?  Have you actually watched any women's football?

Yes I have been to a women's football game. That is why I have formed my opinions. England v Italy, so I was watching about as good as it gets. The main thing I want is not to see or pay for women's sport. And what I don't like is particularly boxing where a women's fight will be on the men's programme. That is interrupting my coverage as far as I'm concerned. However, the point you make about the FA banning women's football in the 1920's is very valid. That is outrageous and obviously did a lot of harm to the development of the game. Tongue in cheek I would point out the men's game suffered some adversity in WW1. 

I don't have a problem watching women's sport, nor listening to their comments. I saw the 2012 final at Wembley and was hugely impressed by the USA and Japan, and I've thoroughly enjoyed watching the likes of Lewis, Ennis and Asher-Smith competing for GB, not to mention numerous games of world class tennis both at Wimbledon and Eastbourne. It's been very enjoyable and entertaining.

But in terms of commentators there are good and bad across the board and it's quite refreshing to hear from someone different now and again instead of the same tired old voices. Nothing wrong with a different perspective.

• Like 2

I have no interest in women's football. I have little interest in Scottish football or French football or African football.

But if a woman is commentating on a man's game that's not relevant to me, because the game itself is men's football with English teams or a big international tournament or whatever. I have no objection to a woman commentator, just the same as I wouldn't say "why is Thierry Henry giving his opinions on Spurs v Man City, he's French?" Gender isn't relevant.

3 hours ago, Wrex said:

I have no interest in women's football. I have little interest in Scottish football or French football or African football.

But if a woman is commentating on a man's game that's not relevant to me, because the game itself is men's football with English teams or a big international tournament or whatever. I have no objection to a woman commentator, just the same as I wouldn't say "why is Thierry Henry giving his opinions on Spurs v Man City, he's French?" Gender isn't relevant.

Woman's Football Matters !  🙂 🙂

6 hours ago, Warren said:

Yes I have been to a women's football game. That is why I have formed my opinions.

Christ. Manages to condemn a sport played by people who comprise over 50% of the world's population because he watched 1 game. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Warren said:

Tongue in cheek I would point out the men's game suffered some adversity in WW1. 

But men were playing internationals on neutral grounds in WW1. England v Germany in France around Christmas 1914!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Warren said:

Yes I have been to a women's football game. That is why I have formed my opinions. England v Italy, so I was watching about as good as it gets. The main thing I want is not to see or pay for women's sport. And what I don't like is particularly boxing where a women's fight will be on the men's programme. That is interrupting my coverage as far as I'm concerned. However, the point you make about the FA banning women's football in the 1920's is very valid. That is outrageous and obviously did a lot of harm to the development of the game. Tongue in cheek I would point out the men's game suffered some adversity in WW1. 

Was that the one at Vale Park where england goals was scored from outside the box and Italy’s from just inside??

On 19/07/2020 at 17:22, Iron Curtain said:

Was that the one at Vale Park where england goals was scored from outside the box and Italy’s from just inside??

good point.

I have no problem with women’s sport of any description. Let me make that quite clear.

However, the standard of women’s football is not of the quality to justify all the media attention and especially TV coverage that it is afforded.

In reality the BBC only started covering it because they had so little sport to show with all the sporting rights being lost to satellite companies such as Sky and BT.

So of course I wholly endorse female sporting participation, but certainly in football terms the quality on show does not justify the media hype which surrounds it.

Edited by RailwayRowdy
  • Like 2

England v Italy game at Port Vale.

Been to busy the last few weeks to get back and post something properly about this. So, the highlights did look slightly better than I remember. Nonetheless pathetic goalkeeping and hopeless misses are the main highlights. That is not to say some men's games don't have the same. But the full game was drone like. Ball stayed in play a lot because the women are not strong enough to find touch with clearances consistently. And yes shooting from outside the box is an issue and there was a clear preference to try to get closer to shoot. I am entitled to my opinion and I thought this was pretty hopeless and as we go down from international level it is likely to deteriorate markedly. I won't watch it again and certainly won't pay to go to another game. 

Edited by Warren
  • Like 1

Men on football message boards.  I just don't like them.  So many of them shout a lot rather than debate and a lot of them are not open to persuasion despite being presented with evidence.  For many of them their spelling and punctuation is awful and their general use of language is poor. 

Mind you, I only use one forum.