Jump to content
Mario

Women commentators on the TV

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Mario said:

What is every bodies view on women commentating on football matches ? 

The same as my view on men commentating on football matches. 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

The same as my view on men commentating on football matches. 

They think it's all over........... it is now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mario said:

Personally I prefer the best person for the job not a box ticking exercise adopted by the BBC.

There are plenty of excellent female commentators (for example cricket commentator Ebony Rainford-Brent).

She isn't even employed by the BBC (she's on Sky) so I doubt that was a "BBC box ticking" exercise. 

She was simply the best person for the job and that's good enough with me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am OK with women commentating if they says sensible stuff. I think they do. No bad ones I've seen. 

Where I have a big problem is women's football / sport. I went to the international at Port Vale between England and Italy. My opinion after watching this is its rubbish. Highlight was the half time pie. Put it on a completely separate channel and not attempt to insert in men's sport. For example, I'm trying to watch the heavyweight championship in boxing which I have paid for and this women's contest is inserted in the middle to force people to watch it. Really annoying.

There is a reason why Liverpool men's team plays at Anfield and Liverpool women's team plays at Chester City up the back end of an industrial estate. Women's football doesn't transcend from sport to entertainment and deserves to be banished there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm referring to the women who do football match commentaries, I can't think of a woman who commentates for Sky, but the BBC are rolling them out, I find their excitable screeching annoying, there again I guess  the £100m being spent on diversity by the BBC needs to be justified somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Warren said:

I am OK with women commentating if they says sensible stuff. I think they do. No bad ones I've seen. 

Where I have a big problem is women's football / sport. I went to the international at Port Vale between England and Italy. My opinion after watching this is its rubbish. Highlight was the half time pie. Put it on a completely separate channel and not attempt to insert in men's sport. For example, I'm trying to watch the heavyweight championship in boxing which I have paid for and this women's contest is inserted in the middle to force people to watch it. Really annoying.

There is a reason why Liverpool men's team plays at Anfield and Liverpool women's team plays at Chester City up the back end of an industrial estate. Women's football doesn't transcend from sport to entertainment and deserves to be banished there.

I have no problem with womens football or any womens sport come to that, but compared to some of the men commentators I find the women irritating in the extreme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have no issues at all, some are decent some are awful. The same can be said for blokes.

Seeing as the thread is about women, probably just me but can't abide Alex Scott, so robotic and the way she puts things across just bugs me. Flavour of the month though. 

Gabby Yorath is ok as a host and Eilidh Barbour is good. Scott is woeful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Warren said:

I am OK with women commentating if they says sensible stuff. I think they do. No bad ones I've seen. 

Where I have a big problem is women's football / sport. I went to the international at Port Vale between England and Italy. My opinion after watching this is its rubbish. Highlight was the half time pie. Put it on a completely separate channel and not attempt to insert in men's sport. For example, I'm trying to watch the heavyweight championship in boxing which I have paid for and this women's contest is inserted in the middle to force people to watch it. Really annoying.

There is a reason why Liverpool men's team plays at Anfield and Liverpool women's team plays at Chester City up the back end of an industrial estate. Women's football doesn't transcend from sport to entertainment and deserves to be banished there.

I have watched a considerable number of men’s games over the years where the highlight was the halftime pie. I’m going to start a new movement WSM - Women’s  Sport Matters!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please dont misunderstand me, I have NO problem with women pundits who talk about the game at half time and at the end of the game although Alex Scott is robotic, I am talking about the women who do the match commentaries, the excitable screechy ones, like a nail being run down a blackboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Mario said:

Please dont misunderstand me, I have NO problem with women pundits who talk about the game at half time and at the end of the game although Alex Scott is robotic, I am talking about the women who do the match commentaries, the excitable screechy ones, like a nail being run down a blackboard.

You mean like George Andrews??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Mario said:

Please dont misunderstand me, I have NO problem with women pundits who talk about the game at half time and at the end of the game although Alex Scott is robotic, I am talking about the women who do the match commentaries, the excitable screechy ones, like a nail being run down a blackboard.

Did I fall asleep and wake up in the 1950's?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I asked what everyone thought and obviously they are very popular with the viewing public, thats fine, my mistake for having an opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mario said:

I asked what everyone thought and obviously they are very popular with the viewing public, thats fine, my mistake for having an opinion.

Don't be mardy, Mario.  You're entitled to your opinion just as every other poster is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the new women commentators are terrible to listen to as with the highlights for the efl, i always listen to georgie Bingham on a weekend sports breakfast which I really enjoy but when she does the highlights it just doesnt work in my opinion. And i cant listen to several of the male commentators either, nowt to do with what sex anyone is just if they are annoying or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here in the land of the kangaroo women have been integral for many years in all football codes - except perhaps  rugby union - and not just as half time/full time assessors. They anchor radio and TV football panels with knowledge of their respective codes equal to, or even better than ex players et al.

Now we have the 2023 womens' world cup in Aus/NZ I see a new generation of quality 'female football commentators' entertaining us 😎 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Moderators don't read everything. Please don't assume we'll spot rule breaking (e.g. personal abuse) - use the orange report button above a post to alert them.

    If you can't get on with another forum user you can select the "ignore" option. Simply click on the link below, type in their username and save - Click here



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy