onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained List

Jacko51

1 hour ago, dishydave said:

They were paid by the administrators and would of been paid what they were owed by the new owner under the football creditors rule. So although their contracts were void they didn't lose out financially

Whilst this is true, they may or may not, have got their full wage, I’ve no idea to be fair, either way, any player who stuck around through all that uncertainty owes us nowt in my book.

From what I saw of Brisley, after an initial shaky start, he’ll be more than adequate if his form and fitness remain at the same levels as they were at close of play.

Legge is the one who I’d be most keen to find cover for, simply down to his age and his possible medical complications.

Crookes still remains an unknown quantity.  A young prospect, played out of position and now coming back from a bad injury.  Ideally he’d have a run of games but you can’t see that happening, unless he’s loaned out.  It’s not as if we look likely to play loads of pre season fixtures either.  All in all not a bad player but the jury is out as to whether he’ll be anything more than cover in the short term.

So for me, Smith leaves, we either need 2 CB’s in or one plus a RB who can cover both positions.

Looking at the list of free agents we should be OK recruiting defenders, but our real problem is a lack of goals.  I don’t see many decent strikers, or goal scoring midfielders.  Who fills Jake Taylor’s boots?

Advert

2 hours ago, robf said:

You mean we sent him out on loan like we've done for dozens of players - many of whom haven't given us anything like the service Nathan Smith has. 

And what was the result of those loan moves? Port Vale got a ready made player with bags of first team experience -  one who won POTY and young POTY while on loan at Torquay so he clearly worked hard while there and those moves enabled Vale to get a defender without paying any transfer fee. 

I don't get your point - Vale have done with Nathan Smith what they do with pretty much all their players. He has never taken advantage, he has put in tons of work, he's never said a bad word and now he wants to advance his career. Not only that but he hasn't sprung it on us, it's been pretty well known that's what he wanted to do and he's played it all by the book and waited till out of contract.

I just can't understand why you want to paint him as some sort of villain other than you want him to somehow hold back his own career and aspirations back simply to benefit the Vale. 

I am not really trying to paint him as a villain, I am more disappointed for Carol and Kevin that we are probably going to lose him and concerned that it really isn't the time to venture into the unknown when he has had a good offer from Vale to stay. 

All this talk of vale have looked after Smith and intimating he is being disloyal and just after the money  is just rose tinted naivety. No player owes the club anything and everyone involved in football knows this. If a better offer came in for anyone, even Askey, they’d probably be off too. There is no such thing as loyalty in any aspect of a club from top to bottom. If you perform poorly you’re out, if someone better comes along you’re out, with the fans if you play fantastic you’re the next best thing, play badly the next week and you’re non league standard at best.  Even behind the scenes I’ve heard about changes because the owners wanted their own people in certain roles. Also we’ve seen over recent times how managers have come in and ostracised players to force them out, that could happen to any player when a new manager or a new player comes in. Right from day one in the academy they are playing for themselves to get a professional contract, this is drilled into them. Of course the club support all their players in the same way, but as I said above once they’re not wanted they’re out by whatever means necessary. So I have no qualms with any player taking his chance If a better opportunity comes along. If he was my client or my son I’d be telling him the same, these opportunities don’t come along often and he would be stupid not to consider all the options on the table. If he signed a new deal with us then he could get injured or a prospective buyer could be put off by the fee. He could hit a run of bad form and that move never materialised again. 

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

All this talk of vale have looked after Smith and intimating he is being disloyal and just after the money  is just rose tinted naivety. No player owes the club anything and everyone involved in football knows this. If a better offer came in for anyone, even Askey, they’d probably be off too. There is no such thing as loyalty in any aspect of a club from top to bottom. If you perform poorly you’re out, if someone better comes along you’re out, with the fans if you play fantastic you’re the next best thing, play badly the next week and you’re non league standard at best.  Even behind the scenes I’ve heard about changes because the owners wanted their own people in certain roles. Also we’ve seen over recent times how managers have come in and ostracised players to force them out, that could happen to any player when a new manager or a new player comes in. Right from day one in the academy they are playing for themselves to get a professional contract, this is drilled into them. Of course the club support all their players in the same way, but as I said above once they’re not wanted they’re out by whatever means necessary. So I have no qualms with any player taking his chance If a better opportunity comes along. If he was my client or my son I’d be telling him the same, these opportunities don’t come along often and he would be stupid not to consider all the options on the table. If he signed a new deal with us then he could get injured or a prospective buyer could be put off by the fee. He could hit a run of bad form and that move never materialised again. 

Really good points made. The shelf life of a footballer at any given club is short these days. My opinion is agents have a big role in that 

The days of Roy Sproson, Ryan Giggs and others may be long gone. 

In fairness to Shawcross he's given Lard a good decade but players move all the time.

Smith owes us nowt. The only thing that bugs me is purely down to Mr Bosman and we end up empty handed. 

I think we need to make plans for next season that don’t include Nathan. He has got to go where the money is, like the rest of us. If a builder is offered an increase in pay to do the same job for a couple of years  then it’s trowel in the  van and adios.
Next season will be a big season for us the bookies will have us in the top six for promotion. Should we carry on as we have finished this season, then who knows Nathan may be playing for the opposition. I’d prefer that Nathan just came out and told us of his intentions at the end of the month and not let it drag on. Good luck Nathan if you do decide to move on.

55 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Really good points made. The shelf life of a footballer at any given club is short these days. My opinion is agents have a big role in that 

The days of Roy Sproson, Ryan Giggs and others may be long gone. 

In fairness to Shawcross he's given Lard a good decade but players move all the time.

Smith owes us nowt. The only thing that bugs me is purely down to Mr Bosman and we end up empty handed. 

170 appearances is a lot for age. John McCombe made 185 for example.

For me, Smith is a good age, his stock is high and he needs to miximise what he can get out of the next contract. He’s been a very good servant and I wish him all the best. I’d love him to stay, of course but that’s unlikely to be what’s best for him.

The disappointing things would be two fold. One is if he goes to a club that aren't really a step up from us. eg. Burton, Crewe, Stoke.

The other is that we get no fee. Surely it would have made sense to agree a contract a while ago with a low buy out clause. Gives Smithy a bit of security, but doesn't hinder him moving on and makes the club a bit of cash. Maybe we tried? That would seem to me to have been the best thing for both parties.

8 hours ago, toyahw said:

The disappointing things would be two fold. One is if he goes to a club that aren't really a step up from us. eg. Burton, Crewe, Stoke.

The other is that we get no fee. Surely it would have made sense to agree a contract a while ago with a low buy out clause. Gives Smithy a bit of security, but doesn't hinder him moving on and makes the club a bit of cash. Maybe we tried? That would seem to me to have been the best thing for both parties.

The problem with that is the contract is binding, so buy out clauses are hard to implement. Plus if you offer one player that option, all the others would want it. Much easier to build a squad if you actually know who has a contract, it is no good having a player and as soon as the money is offered he leaves. Then you cannnot get a replacement to fill the position. It works both ways, Nathan has seen his contract out and he can do what he wants. 

The club has been aware since Christmas he is going to be looking at other options so I think 6 months is ample notice for any job. Pluss If he resigned with a buy out clause of say 100k then that would be less money for his wages when he does sign for some one

I see Mansfield are going on another mad spending spree:

They have signed Ollie Clarke (Bristol Rovers captain and one of their best players) Who rejected a new deal to sign for them.

The luton keeper Stech from their promotion campaign

Jordan Bowery As well as a none league striker that scored a bag load last year

and now they are rumoured to be after Omar Bogle and Borthwick from Lincoln.

Archived