onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained List

Jacko51

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Do you think they have forgotten about the "we stood there laughing" plane banner?

Do you think they'd do what you suggested over a banner? Which was by fans and not endorsed by PVFC football club? 😮

They've got a season to complete, Covid worries and a relegation threat - then a retained list to sort out... yet they'd take time to mess about a Stoke supporting player in the off chance it may upset our plans for next season.

The way Vale operate now I suspect there will be a clear cut off point where the wages allocated for Smith will go to someone else and there will be no way back for him regardless of circumstances. So, if there is a "cunning plan" to string Smith along and then reject him (with all the legal issues that offering him a contract and then withdrawing it may cause) then it still wouldn't affect Vale as they will have moved on to a new player. 

I personally think all Stoke's attention will be on the remainder of the season, not some weird anti-Vale plot.

Advert

I think Stoke are wating until they know their fate/ If Stoke got relegated then I believe that Smith would be able to get into the first team and playing games which is surely important to a 24year oldies The players at Stoke at present will be moved on as they will be earning too much for a division one club and also they will think are too good for division one. If Stoke stay up then Smith would be a squad player in my opinion but would probably be a cheaper bench warmer than they have now and Stoke would also be confident that Smith would "do a job" for the few games they might need him to play to cover injuries and suspensions. My bet is that he goes to Birmingham anyway.

Smudger has had long enough. As soon as Askey has found a replacement and agreed potential terms, he will let him know that it's time to decide, whether or not he's signed up for anyone else. Otherwise, he will lose the new recruit and have to start the process all over again. I'd give it a couple of weeks, max. But then I'm not the manager. 

6 hours ago, robf said:

I think it's a conspiracy theory too far myself.

1. Nathan Smith will be well aware that by not getting back to the Vale on the offer he will have burned his bridges. I doubt he'll think he can come back if a deal collapses.

2. If Vale sign a replacement and a deal between Stoke and Smith breaks down then Vale will simply not take Smith on. As John Askey said to Radio Stoke, the club will just move on without Nathan Smith. That central defensive position is now held by someone else.

3. It presumes that if Stoke don't sign him there aren't other irons in the fire for Smith at other clubs. If Stoke muck him about, presumably he'll speak to one of the other interested parties.

Do you think they have forgotten about the "we stood there laughing" plane banner?

In the current climate, with no start date for the new season, and even less idea when fans will be allowed back, most clubs will be in no hurry to formally sign players.  Smith will no doubt be under contract until 30th June and then it would seem to be customary to be entitled to a months severance pay.  In theory, any potential new club could just sit back and let us pay his wages until end of July.  This is purely conjecture on my part of course.

12 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

it would seem to be customary to be entitled to a months severance pay.  In theory, any potential new club could just sit back and let us pay his wages until end of July. 

He can <ovf censored> off! 

9 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

In the current climate, with no start date for the new season, and even less idea when fans will be allowed back, most clubs will be in no hurry to formally sign players.  Smith will no doubt be under contract until 30th June and then it would seem to be customary to be entitled to a months severance pay.  In theory, any potential new club could just sit back and let us pay his wages until end of July.  This is purely conjecture on my part of course.

Added to this, most lower league players aren’t costing their clubs anything at present as they’re all furloughed.

Anyhow, it looks like O’Neill has poured cold water on any move to the  5h1t.

11 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Isn't the severance package just for players released? As we offered Smith a contract I don't think we have to pay him next month.

11 minutes ago, JRC said:

Isn't the severance package just for players released? As we offered Smith a contract I don't think we have to pay him next month.

As it stands,we aren’t paying him now.Vale opted into the furlough scheme?

How I read it, the 'months severance pay' is the wage he receives for the month of June, since all matches would normally be over by early May. So, I suspect he will come off the payroll at the end of June.

So he does need to make a decision very quickly, otherwise he won't have a decision to make, and the ball will be solely in Vale's court.

35 minutes ago, Howjy04 said:

As it stands,we aren’t paying him now.Vale opted into the furlough scheme?

I believe we are making the shorfall up on his wages. 20% of the first 2500 a month isn't a lot but I'd imagine he's currently on 5000 a month, maybe more, so he's costing the club 3000 a month even on furlough. Not sure how he stands for unemployment benefit from 1 July as he has chosen not to sign a contract.

Be interesting to know if the furlough scheme covers the severance July money for released players.

3 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Added to this, most lower league players aren’t costing their clubs anything at present as they’re all furloughed.

Anyhow, it looks like O’Neill has poured cold water on any move to the  5h1t.

Usually the only thing O'Neill pours cold water on is his Malt whisky

Archived