Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just anounced the retained list. About what i expected.

Amoo, Browne, Conlon, Brisley, Smith, Cullen and Montano offered new contracts the rest have been released with Clarke and Taylor going back to their clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spot on. The exact 7 I would have offered new deals to.

Would love to keep all 7.

Compare us to everyone else, who is releasing players like its going out of fashion. We've elected to offer new deals to 7 players. We're in good hands.

Thanks to all the lads who are moving on; all have played a part in our rebuild season in some way or another and never caused any problems. Seem like they have good attitudes and wish them well.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Expected really. Atkinson goal against Bradford at the end is a highlight from this season. Feel for Archer as he seems to struggle with injuries.  

Be interesting to see which players sign new contracts

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were two threads set up at the same time which have now been merged. Thanks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Spot on. The exact 7 I would have offered new deals to.

Would love to keep all 7.

Compare us to everyone else, who is releasing players like its going out of fashion. We've elected to offer new deals to 7 players. We're in good hands.

Thanks to all the lads who are moving on; all have played a part in our rebuild season in some way or another and never caused any problems. Seem like they have good attitudes and wish them well.

My thoughts exactly. Thanks Joe B - you pretty much read my mind there... best wishes to those moving on from Vale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant, I was expecting it to be a bit more brutal given the current uncertainty but I can't argue with any of it. 

Just hope the majority of the offered deals are agreed now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Andy Proctor said:

The only surprise to me is not offering maddison a deal it will be hard bring a keeper in that's happy sit on the bench. 

I suspect that with the current issues hitting football we should be OK though as there are surely going to be a lot of players desperate for any sort of contract - even one as a regular bench warmer. 

I wonder if Maddison went because sadly he isn't the long-term answer. Brown isn't getting any younger so we do need to look for a successor so perhaps the club have someone in mind who could offer Scott Brown some proper competition for his place next season?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First time I haven't looked peeking through my fingers.....good base I think! Agree with you Andy Proctor I thought they'd keep Maddison but I wonder if they've got someone else lined up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Maddison and Browne would be the other way around, but apart from that, I think it’s what we expected. I’ve always felt Askey didn't 100% rated Maddison, and remember him saying ‘Ronny liked him, so we took him on’ when we signed him. I actually thought he looked decent in the one game he played, but I imagine Askey has someone else in mind, so we shall wait and see. 
 

So if everyone signs, Askey will probably look to bring in 6 new additions (whenever that may be) I think a striker will be top priority. Potentially Ollie Palmer. Any other names/suggestions/ anyone can think of? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, robf said:

I suspect that with the current issues hitting football we should be OK though as there are surely going to be a lot of players desperate for any sort of contract - even one as a regular bench warmer. 

I wonder if Maddison went because sadly he isn't the long-term answer. Brown isn't getting any younger so we do need to look for a successor so perhaps the club have someone in mind who could offer Scott Brown some proper competition for his place next season?

Agree with this. I think Askey will bring someone in to compete with Brown and ultimately to be his successor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maddison is a good lad, who according to the Vale players improved a lot this year, but I think the fact his only appearance was against Newcastle U23s in the Checkatrade, when we've got an ageing first choice, is probably indicative that we didn't think he was/will be ready.

Would love Palmer; looking around retained lists of Colchester, Cambridge, Carlisle, and Salford (have I missed any), the likes of:

Harry McKirdy

Stefan Scougall

Frank Nouble

Michael O'Connor

Chris Neal

Kyle Letheren

Scott Wiseman

Craig Conway

Nathan Pond

George Taft

Paul Lewis

Are all names that have proven they can do the business at this level. Some are positions we don't need players at; some are too old; some are questionable characters.

Its the League 1 retained list we want to be looking at, as well as the Category 1 Academies.

Edited by Joe B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Andy Proctor said:

The only surprise to me is not offering maddison a deal it will be hard bring a keeper in that's happy sit on the bench. 

Not in 2020-2021. There will be players ripping your hand off to sit on the bench. Means they're getting paid.

Edited by Doha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A fine list. Would have been mine even without Covid. If we can actually tie them all down promotion will be pretty likely in my view. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Doha said:

Not in 2020-2021. There will be players ripping your hand off to sit on the bench. Means they're getting paid.

We might well consider going withBrown plus a young lad - don’t know what the youth team keeper is like. If we need to trim costs this could be one way of doing it and you can bring in a loan keeper at any time in the season. Our reputation is good now so clubs would probably be much happier to let us borrow players than was the case previously. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i also wondered if we would offer atkinson as he can play a few positions, always useful in the squad over a long season. Its nice that this is the first season in years where i havent hoped most of the would go.

Edited by Andyregs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Maddison is a good lad, who according to the Vale players improved a lot this year, but I think the fact his only appearance was against Newcastle U23s in the Checkatrade, when we've got an ageing first choice, is probably indicative that we didn't think he was/will be ready.

Would love Palmer; looking around retained lists of Colchester, Cambridge, Carlisle, and Salford (have I missed any), the likes of:

Harry McKirdy

Stefan Scougall

Frank Nouble

Michael O'Connor

Chris Neal

Kyle Letheren

Scott Wiseman

Craig Conway

Nathan Pond

George Taft

Paul Lewis

Are all names that have proven they can do the business at this level. Some are positions we don't need players at; some are too old; some are questionable characters.

Its the League 1 retained list we want to be looking at, as well as the Category 1 Academies.

Nathan Pond must be about 55 by now !!

Neal and O'Connor, that ship has sailed. 

I mentioned Mckirdy but he comes with baggage, diving twonk is a nice description of him. Are we prepared for that type of player ? If he concentrated on football he's decent. 

Carlisle fans say him and Nathan Thomas their best players 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When he was on his feet, McKirdy spent most of that game moaning his sack off at the ref. He comes across like a sulky character and I'm not sure about his temperament. He's talented but I don't think he's exceptionally good. Poundshop Jack Grealish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pleased with that, I suspect expecting six additions is over optimistic in the current climate. We’ll have taken a financial hit from Covid same as everyone else. It’s nice to have a settled nucleus that have been pushing for play offs this season and I suspect we’ll make sure any permanent goalie appointment is just right or go for a loan signing. Outfield Browne has maybe been a little fortunate but we’ll see if he stays injury free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy