onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Nominate your worst Port Vale strikers

robf

It's time to move on to worst Port Vale forwards. 

Just to clarify a few things:

1. Only the players mentioned the most will make the shortlist for the vote

2. No current players (who knows what they may do in the future) only past Vale ones

3. There's two slots to fill so I welcome plenty of nominations

My personal selection is:

1. Martin Henderson. The most uninterested player I have seen and what made it even worse was we sold Bob Newton to get him.

2. Martin Paterson. The modern equivalent of Henderson. Didn't seem interested or want to be here.

3. Nathan Lowndes. Often injured, didn't seem to offer much when fit.

4. Stefan Moore. One goal in 15 from a player with Premier League experience is woeful.

I'm sure there are plenty more names to come...

Advert

Wayne gray, andy clarke,kyle perry,tobias Mikaelsson, kevin gall,martin Patterson, marcus bent, stefan moore and Calvin Andrew. 

None of them did much in a vale shirt. Bent obviously had a good career but only scored 1 goal for vale. Viljanan and cecilia should not be nominated as they actually scored a few goals for us. 

Definitely Henderson. Swapping Newton for him was the (transfer) crime of the century!

Probably loads of others if I sat in a darkened room and dredged them from the depths of my memory, where I've long since banished them to!

Ville Viljanen (although I think he was with us while we were in The Championship? so we've probably had others who were just as crap, but at a much lower level!)

Cicilia - was a great comedy act at the start, but got less and less funny the closer we got to relegation, and our hopes of avoiding it were partly relying on him.

Danny Glover - pure nepotism at its worst!

11 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

Ville Viljanen (although I think he was with us while we were in The Championship? so we've probably had others who were just as crap, but at a much lower level!)

I always though Ville was unfairly castigated. He was unfortunate because he followed a stream of amazing strikers - Beckford, Foyle, Naylor etc - but he was OK in the Championship and did net 6 in 38 which while poor is not appalling for the Championship. Yes he was inelegant and ungainly but what targetman isn't?

He probably won't make the short list but Kenny Todd was a huge disappointment.

We paid a club record fee of 37k for him, way back in the seventies. He scored 7-8 goals I think but was very poor and no better than free transfers we've had. His huge fee staggered everyone. We were expecting Bobby Charlton for that much money and got Bobby Crush. Terrible waste of money.

(I'd endorse Moore)

Simply has to be Reggie.

I took 5 Uni friends to our game away to Coventry; we got the train from Brum to the Ricoh and sat in a 95% empty stadium as the Vale crumbled to a 2-1 defeat.

My friends were English, French, Malaysian, male, female, football nuts and novices, fans of Manchester United, Lincoln City, and Bolton Wanderers.

They were unanimous in that Rigino Cicilia was THE worst professional footballer they had ever seen in their life. It was comical.

Martin Paterson, Danny Glover, and Tobias Mikkaelson get the Champions League places.

Tyrone Barnett was quite poor too.

Whilst Hooper was a bottlejob there was undoubted talent, just a woeful attitude. Gall was poor but I saw his debut away at Macc (?) and thought he looked rather tasty. Calvin Andrew was never a striker but was a promotion winner with 22 games that year, and has carved out a very decent (if profligate) League 1 career since, so I personally wouldn't include him.

It feels harsh but the entire saga of Carlos 'I've seen him on Youtube and he will take League 1 by storm' Saleiro is worth a mention; arrived overweight, played in a loss away at Carlisle in the JPT, went home, and retired at 30, 5 years removed from playing 39 games for a massive club like Sporting Lisbon.

I'm going with

Stefan Moore - one of the most disappointing signings I remember

David McGoldrick - Had a cracking career but was a total nothing player for us. Above our level and knew it but breaking into a canter every now and again shouldnt have been beyond him

Danny Glover - just a terrible player in a terrible team

Kyle Perry - I feel a tad sorry including him as he should never have been here really but he was dreadful

Big Reg - First touch I saw him have was with his back to the man United goal 18 yards out, his follow up touch was on the byline

Tobias Mikkaelson - what was the point?

Going back to 65/6 for my nomination Ian Lawson. Had previously played for Burnley, Leeds and Palace and came with a decent reputation. But it was obvious from his first game that he was past his sell by date. Slowest player I ever saw. Makes Tom Pope look like Usain Bolt in comparison. He lasted 10 games before he was discarded.

Archived