Just now, Jacko51 said:

There was no vote at yesterday's meeting.  There was a discussion about how to return the EFL to 72 clubs.  There appears to have been consensus to relegate only one club but this has not been officially endorsed by the league and has to go though a further process.

Colin Garlick spoke about the meeting at last night's SC meeting.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Following Bury's demise on BBC Northwest I'm struck by the quality of the "Spokespeople" for Bury FC who didn't seem to have the ability and nous to remove their clown in charge  and it made me realis

And that cretin Dale is bleating about the Bury fans being nasty to him.  He's lucky they haven't strung him up from a lamp post in Gigg Lane.

If Smurthwaite had carried out his threat of Admin or even just refused to cover the running costs of the club then we could have been in exactly the same position. I can't help thinking how clos

Posted Images

I feel sorry for the Bury fans. But it would have been an unprecedented step since the Premier League/Football League split in the early 90s to have let a club who had failed to fulfil their fixtures due to financial issues to stay in the football league (I know it happened before that point).

Bury would be better off as a phoenix club, starting again without Dale involved. Whilst it was Stewart Day who ultimately has to take responsibility for the years of overspending, having Dale running the club going forward is a disaster. Sometimes you have to say that the game is up, and it's time to start again. For the record, I would have no issues if we were in the same position as Bury and this was happening to us. This is just a direct response to this crazy situation we have where clubs are desperate to play above their level and get to the promised land of the Premier League. For whatever the rights or wrongs of what I'm about to write this is my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Two options will sort this out:

A) Let the top 6 sod off and get their European Super League dream. English football will regroup and move on, with less money but with more parity

B) Stop promotion to the Premier League. Have a 2 tier, 16-team Premier League 1 & 2. Entry to the Premier League will be through application rather than any other way. If you take away the possibility of getting to the top level, clubs will stop spending to get there.

Sadly, Bury won't be the last club to have this happen to them. It's just the first of many, and I'm just glad we weren't the first club to be destroyed due to irresponsible off the field management and catastrophic decision making.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50132652

Stewart Day made £1 million for himself taking out a loan against the stadium on Burt's behalf.

Steve Dale didn't provide any evidence whatsoever in order to pass the fit and proper persons test.

The EFL say lessons will be learned i.e. there will no changes made, nobody will be punished and the exact same thing will happen to other clubs in years to come.

• Like 1

How can Jevans say he passed the Owners and Directors test when his record shows a history of taking over distressed companies and dissolving them?  Do they not check a bloke's business history before ticking the "Passed" box?  The EFL is about as much use in the governance of football as a chocolate fireguard.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

However, the club say they believe they have continued to automatically pay tax on wages that would otherwise have been paid to staff, despite those wages not being paid.

Long ago, in the days of Roy of the Vale and when employed as a paymaster, not once was I required to submit Tax Due Returns for nil paid wages (my employers would most probably have nil paid me with a DCM - don't come Monday).

The quote above, in my opinion, seems to be nothing more than a furphy - something claimed to be factual to stall proceedings.

12 hours ago, robf said:

The 'Committee may have a point, but will the EFL take note?

The committee highlighted as a key flaw in the rules the ability of Steve Dale to buy the club for £1 in December without having passed the owners-and-directors test first.

• 2 months later...

Sadly the football club is set to be liquidated according to the Guardian. It looks like the fans will have to create a phoenix club and play at a new ground (as the ground is owned by a dodgy company). The owner telling porkies as usual about paying creditors... 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/31/bury-owner-steve-dale-fails-to-pay-money-to-creditors

The perils of nutjob owners in football!

• Thanks 1

On 31/01/2020 at 19:54, robf said:

Sadly the football club is set to be liquidated according to the Guardian. It looks like the fans will have to create a phoenix club and play at a new ground (as the ground is owned by a dodgy company). The owner telling porkies as usual about paying creditors... 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/31/bury-owner-steve-dale-fails-to-pay-money-to-creditors

The perils of nutjob owners in football!

Don't we know it. I dread to think what would have happened if the Shanahans hadn't come along.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/03/2020 at 15:16, robf said:

If owners aren't going to be allowed to bankroll player wages, where does this leave the clubs with meagre resources and moneyed owners like Bournemouth and, dare I say it, Manchester City?

• 2 months later...

Read an article today about Bury. Basically one group of fans have set up the Phoenix club and they’re set to play in the North West Counties or whatever and now the owner wants them in the National League so there’s a split fan base and possibility of 2 clubs being based in Bury. 
Spoke to a Fan earlier and he reckons it’s a total disaster. 

1 hour ago, CAVALIER said:

Read an article today about Bury. Basically one group of fans have set up the Phoenix club and they’re set to play in the North West Counties or whatever and now the owner wants them in the National League so there’s a split fan base and possibility of 2 clubs being based in Bury. 
Spoke to a Fan earlier and he reckons it’s a total disaster. 

Here it is: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8327051/Bury-went-bust-two-clubs-fighting-replace-fans-asking-support.html