onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Port Vale v Lincoln City

Fosse69

Advert

When Kay came on yesterday I wanted to cry. it was the final straw. There is only so much anyone can take. If he can compete for his main position he was brought in to play at, centre half, then fine. But Aspin keeps playing him in midfield. I have had enough and enough and enough and enough. In final chance saloon, just one more time this dude starts or comes on in midfield and I will stop going. He is pub team level in midfield. It is just insulting the midfield players we have to bring him on and play him there and no matter they are under performing he isn't even for a micro second the answer.

Warren, It's funny how people see the game differently. For me Kay was one if not the best player in the Vale team against Grimsby (I believe his first start) and last season played a crucial role playing in midfield keeping the Vale in the Football League. Don't get me wrong, I would prefer to see Oyeleke/Conlon in midfield but the former is injured.

Given Lincoln are known to be a big physical team it surprised me Kay didn't keep his place in the starting line up, Conlon/Hannant just got overpowered in midfield and Lincoln had free reign to do as they pleased. When Kay came on the game was as good as lost.

Warren, It's funny how people see the game differently. For me Kay was one if not the best player in the Vale team against Grimsby (I believe his first start) and last season played a crucial role playing in midfield keeping the Vale in the Football League. Don't get me wrong, I would prefer to see Oyeleke/Conlon in midfield but the former is injured.

Given Lincoln are known to be a big physical team it surprised me Kay didn't keep his place in the starting line up, Conlon/Hannant just got overpowered in midfield and Lincoln had free reign to do as they pleased. When Kay came on the game was as good as lost.

Agree with this. I was surprised it wasn’t Kay and Conlon in the middle with Hannant on the left and Worral on the right. With Rawlinson and Clark as full backs. At least that’s square pegs in square holes to minimise disruption.

Agree with this. I was surprised it wasn’t Kay and Conlon in the middle with Hannant on the left and Worral on the right. With Rawlinson and Clark as full backs. At least that’s square pegs in square holes to minimise disruption.
We can see that was the obvious way to set up. Why oh why couldn't Mr Negativity Aspin?

Kay in front of the back four was a shoe in yesterday for me with Oyeleke out. We could not handle Rhead who treated Smith like a rag doll. It was crying out for a defensive midfielder to stand in front of Rhead and stop the service to him. But amazingly we play with Conlon central, with Pugh and Clark alongside.

I thought we'd set out defensively and hard to beat. After the mid-week match and because of injuries I was expecting us to play in a 3.5.2 formation, with Rawlinson in the centre to assist Legge and Smith and snuff out their main threat. Vassell (who is right footed) as right back and to provide extra height, with Clark at left back where he's comfortable and facing the quick Anderson.

Kay then in front of the back four, with Conlon and one other in midfield, leaving the mid-week successful pairing of Miller and Dodds up top. Dodds of course can drop back to help out in midfield when we haven't got the ball.

That was "my thinking" and I still say it would have made us harder to beat and just as much of a threat going forwards. We could then bring on the likes of BW, Kanu or Worrall if we needed a bit of pace. But keeping it tight, ensuring Rhead's supply lines are cut off and having players in their proper positions would have all made sense to me.

I could not quite fathom the team at 2.00 pm and wondered what was going on. But we are top managers in our heads and we all know best don't we?

Yet, I've watched the Vale for more than 56 years and I don't ever remember it working when a manager chops and changes and puts players in unfamiliar positions. It never, ever works.

Best forgotten and we move on to the next game but pray to your chosen deity that Pope is fit because he was our saviour last year and might well achieve similar status this season. We need his presence in the team, not just for leading the line but but for his talking and defensive duties. Half fit he's a huge miss.

A decent following if a bit lower than I expected. Can't see anyone bettering that this year. They made a bit of noise and clearly helped their team. Good on them. I bet they enjoyed their fish and chips on the way home. Norman will coin it in for once. But think how much he'd make if we ever [in a million years] went up and had the likes of Walsall, Shrewsbury, Coventry, Luton, Bradford and Sunderland coming here.

Kay in front of the back four was a shoe in yesterday for me with Oyeleke out. We could not handle Rhead who treated Smith like a rag doll. It was crying out for a defensive midfielder to stand in front of Rhead and stop the service to him. But amazingly we play with Conlon central, with Pugh and Clark alongside.

I thought we'd set out defensively and hard to beat. After the mid-week match and because of injuries I was expecting us to play in a 3.5.2 formation, with Rawlinson in the centre to assist Legge and Smith and snuff out their main threat. Vassell (who is right footed) as right back and to provide extra height, with Clark at left back where he's comfortable and facing the quick Anderson.

Kay then in front of the back four, with Conlon and one other in midfield, leaving the mid-week successful pairing of Miller and Dodds up top. Dodds of course can drop back to help out in midfield when we haven't got the ball.

That was "my thinking" and I still say it would have made us harder to beat and just as much of a threat going forwards. We could then bring on the likes of BW, Kanu or Worrall if we needed a bit of pace. But keeping it tight, ensuring Rhead's supply lines are cut off and having players in their proper positions would have all made sense to me.

I could not quite fathom the team at 2.00 pm and wondered what was going on. But we are top managers in our heads and we all know best don't we?

Yet, I've watched the Vale for more than 56 years and I don't ever remember it working when a manager chops and changes and puts players in unfamiliar positions. It never, ever works.

Best forgotten and we move on to the next game but pray to your chosen deity that Pope is fit because he was our saviour last year and might well achieve similar status this season. We need his presence in the team, not just for leading the line but but for his talking and defensive duties. Half fit he's a huge miss.

What makes a manager lose his brains in this way? Pressure? Arrogance? Why do they play players out of position? What are they trying to prove?

Your team suggestions would appear to be spot on - Dodds had played well midweek and there were more round pegs in round holes than usual. Come Saturday, it all goes out of the window. Why? Is he trying to get sacked? I don’t get it

Emotions aside it is glaringly obvious that Aspin's mad formation yesterday aided a good Licoln Team to completely thrash us. OK the vast majority of the squad were out of sorts for whatever reason again but anyone with a modicum of sense will see that our manager is out of his depth and unable to change a frightened, negative approach to games.

Sad but true and so glaringly obvious.

Called it at Grimsby when I heard the team selection, called at least 5-0 when I heard the line up yesterday.

Six wins in 2018 tells you all you need to know, is it 60-odd players been on the books during this period?

I respect Aspo for all he did as a player and I believe he's a decent man. I suspect there is a lot he could say re Smurf and the tinpot way he runs the club but won't.

He will be intent to put his own house in order. Sadly sometimes things don't work and never will. Sad days for Vale fans, those that remain that is.

Did anyone notice their team changes prior to kick off? I’m certain they had shackell on the team sheet and Anderson as sub. Come kick off time their manager was in the centre circle with the ref (which isn’t allowed) and looking at a teamsheet. Nogan and Aspin were going off their heads with the fourth official.

Yes Mario, I bet they did.

Someone told me Aspo was 'off his head' at Grimsby last week and he has now 'lost' the dressing room.

Find it hard to believe personaaly as he always maintains his dignity and is an honest guy who cares?

Who knows what goes on with Smurthwaite and co behind the scenes. How much influence did Brabin have over the players?

Whatever the reasons, it's a shambles, everyone knows that.

What makes a manager lose his brains in this way? Pressure? Arrogance? Why do they play players out of position? What are they trying to prove?

Your team suggestions would appear to be spot on - Dodds had played well midweek and there were more round pegs in round holes than usual. Come Saturday, it all goes out of the window. Why? Is he trying to get sacked? I don’t get it

Yes, unfathomable after Tuesday night. Miller must have been raring to go after scoring, a goal assisted by a lovely through ball from Dodds. So, in Pope's absence I naively thought they would play. How much did I know.

A lot of it I think is down to the value managers put on loyalty or who they see as "their" players. So, better to pick players who see it your way even if they're out of position. But as we know, there's a price to be paid for an unbalanced incohesive team.

Archived