onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Carlisle United v Port Vale

Fosse69

Never an easy trip, especially to a team seeking 3 points at home for the first time after the boost of an away victory albeit at Cheltenham, and a new manager trying to make his mark. Has the Vale defence earned the chance of a settled run to become more effective? Injuries to Montano and Oyeleke, possible resting of Pope, reduce attacking options, and make the gelling of a team more difficult. So a hard fought 0-0 draw based on a stern defensive display is my expectation.

Advert

I have to say: if we don't line up with the same defence, I don't know what they have to do to get selected!

I know Aspin don't rate Gibbo right now, but to put Monty in front of Gibbo after that display, would be just plain wrong! That's how it is to be injured, you risk that the player playing instead of you, actually grabs their chance! And I have to say, that the defensive display we saw yesterday, was the best we've seen in years! As many others have stated, last year we had a record of letting in easy goals late on.

If we are to get any sort of settled defence going, we can't keep changing the back 4 every game! If that doesn't involve Monty or Smith right now, so be it!

Priority should be a settled defence, when Monty is fit I would give him an attacking role and not disturb the defence, not that I expect it to be an option in this game.

Agree. Keep the same back four but think about how to inject some creativity into central midfield assuming Manny isn't fit. Maybe Worrall? He hasn't been great out wide but there's a better player in there than we've seen the past couple of games. Second half against Crawley our midfield did absolutely nothing going forward it was purely defensive, we need to give the opposition something to worry about otherwise we'll lose. A draw will be decent as it always is away and a win would be excellent, I think it's do-able if we play to our abilities.

Never an easy trip, especially to a team seeking 3 points at home for the first time after the boost of an away victory albeit at Cheltenham, and a new manager trying to make his mark. Has the Vale defence earned the chance of a settled run to become more effective? Injuries to Montano and Oyeleke, possible resting of Pope, reduce attacking options, and make the gelling of a team more difficult. So a hard fought 0-0 draw based on a stern defensive display is my expectation.

It was last season!

Agree. Keep the same back four but think about how to inject some creativity into central midfield assuming Manny isn't fit. Maybe Worrall? He hasn't been great out wide but there's a better player in there than we've seen the past couple of games. Second half against Crawley our midfield did absolutely nothing going forward it was purely defensive, we need to give the opposition something to worry about otherwise we'll lose. A draw will be decent as it always is away and a win would be excellent, I think it's do-able if we play to our abilities.

Not sure what other options we have if both Manny and Conlon are out for this game. Put Hannant in there to add more energy?

Not sure what other options we have if both Manny and Conlon are out for this game. Put Hannant in there to add more energy?

Hannatt only stayed on because we'd used our subs so I suspect he won't play Tuesday. I suspect we'll play Montano on the left if fit. Difficult to call a team as likely we'll be without Montano, Hannatt, Conlon, Oyeleke and possibly Pope. I'd be very happy with a draw if all unfit.

Same starting 11 if Manny is fit. Monty on the bench to come on later if he’s fit and we need him. Would prefer to see him out wide in a more advanced role because Clark looks an absolute solid full back.

If we can’t start Manny then I’d probably want 3 central midfield players because Joyce and Kay as a middle 2 would be asking for trouble because they both sit deep and play a similar role. I’m not sure if Joyce could be told to play more advanced, I can’t see it myself though. If Monty is available I’d play him wide on the left then play a middle 3 of Kay, Joyce and Hannant then Worrall on the right with Pope up top on his own with Miller available to come on later on. Alternatively we could play 352 if Montano is available:

Brown

Rawlinson

Legge

Clark

Gibbons

Hannant

Kay

Joyce

Montano

Pope

Miller

On paper that looks a decent side.

Anybody know if there is news on the fitness of Manny?

Same starting 11 if Manny is fit. Monty on the bench to come on later if he’s fit and we need him. Would prefer to see him out wide in a more advanced role because Clark looks an absolute solid full back.

If we can’t start Manny then I’d probably want 3 central midfield players because Joyce and Kay as a middle 2 would be asking for trouble because they both sit deep and play a similar role. I’m not sure if Joyce could be told to play more advanced, I can’t see it myself though. If Monty is available I’d play him wide on the left then play a middle 3 of Kay, Joyce and Hannant then Worrall on the right with Pope up top on his own with Miller available to come on later on. Alternatively we could play 352 if Montano is available:

Brown

Rawlinson

Legge

Clark

Gibbons

Hannant

Kay

Joyce

Montano

Pope

Miller

On paper that looks a decent side.

Anybody know if there is news on the fitness of Manny?

Hamstring

We had 39% possession at home against Crawley and spent the whole of the second half in our own box unable to keep the ball as it was lumped down the pitch to the opposition time after time after time. So the back 4 has to play again because with the keeper they kept out Crawley. We must be better in possession and able to play out from the back to at least some basic level. We need someone who can dribble and some pace to counter attack with. But most of all we need resilience and not concede five minutes after kick off each half. I can't see what Kay gave us against Crawley. He just seemed to stand round in space and spent his time on the ball booting it back to the opposition. In the second half he came over to the Lorne Street stand and got beaten easily in a position where the ball should be put in the stand, yet he is supposed to be a tackler. So please, lets try to move on from this guy and get someone who can run, pass, dribble and tackle into midfield.

We must be a better unit at Tranmere which is a small pitch with a ping pong type game likely to arise. The ball will be whizzing round. We need to get sorted at Carlisle and find an away strategy before the Tranmere game which will be a pressure cooker game. Otherwise we are going to lose both and slump into the bottom half. Frankly if Kay is a choice in midfield then why not try Smith there, at least he has got legs and tackles someone. But I am not advocating either.

We had 39% possession at home against Crawley and spent the whole of the second half in our own box unable to keep the ball as it was lumped down the pitch to the opposition time after time after time. So the back 4 has to play again because with the keeper they kept out Crawley. We must be better in possession and able to play out from the back to at least some basic level. We need someone who can dribble and some pace to counter attack with. But most of all we need resilience and not concede five minutes after kick off each half. I can't see what Kay gave us against Crawley. He just seemed to stand round in space and spent his time on the ball booting it back to the opposition. In the second half he came over to the Lorne Street stand and got beaten easily in a position where the ball should be put in the stand, yet he is supposed to be a tackler. So please, lets try to move on from this guy and get someone who can run, pass, dribble and tackle into midfield.

I can tell you we must be a better unit at Tranmere which is a small pitch with a ping pong type game likely to arise. The ball will be whizzing round. We need to get sorted at Carlisle and find an away strategy before the Tranmere game which will be a pressure cooker game. Otherwise we are going to lose both and slump into the bottom half. Frankly if Kay is a choice in midfield then why not try Smith there, at least he has got legs and tackles someone. But I am not advocating either.

If Hannatt, Conlon and Oyeleke are unfit I'd give consideration to Smith in midfield as an emergency measure. At least he's a little more mobile than Kay.

Archived