onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Shopping list

RichG

I thought we wanted players who wanted to play for us not ones who couldn't get a deal elsewhere. Since goalscorers are the most important players in the team it would be good to sign some of them first. I was just using Bale as an example of the value of consistent goalscorers. One half chance and he scores, 5 minutes after coming on.

Football doesent Work like that. We’re not Man City and can’t just sign any player we like when we like. The season has just ended give it a bloody rest.

Advert

And if we'd signed 3 strikers we'd be discussing why we haven't signed any midfielders or defenders.

Get a grip.

Exactly. It would be ‘we went all last season without an experienced keeper’ ‘why havnt we signed one in the first 3 weeks’. Ridiculous.

Most teams in our league have released 2 or 3 players rather than 10 though.

Dosent really make a difference when our squad was like 6/7 players larger. The fact is it’s been 3 weeks and we’ve signed 5 already and 3 are very experienced and solid league 2 players.

Is there though? We don't want to be picking up the dregs when everyone else has got the best goalscorers.

Look at the other side of the coin, during Foyle's last summer in charge we signed 6 players within 2 or 3 weeks of the previous season finishing! Result:- we went down! I seem to remember most of the 6 were pretty ropey(Craig Rocastle was one, Paul Edwards another) and literally couldn't wait to sign when we handed out 2 year deals.

I wouldn't be too happy or sad about it either way personnally, players will commit when they are ready or if they want to play for Vale.

I'm not saying what Aspin is doing is wrong either and I think the signings he's made are encouraging but the proof will be in the pudding of course!

I thought we wanted players who wanted to play for us not ones who couldn't get a deal elsewhere. Since goalscorers are the most important players in the team it would be good to sign some of them first. I was just using Bale as an example of the value of consistent goalscorers. One half chance and he scores, 5 minutes after coming on.

Apart from Pope none of the players WANT to play for us, they sign purely because they can't get more money anywhere else!

Disgraceful , season ended 3 wks ago and we havnt signed a goalscorer yet . We are doomed. Whats Gareth Bale got to do with us not signing a goalscorer yet, dont tell me , weve put a bid in.

Exactly sums up OVF the attitude of people. We have been the most proactive early in the transfer market in recent memory and brought in real experienced quality players at this level and still people aren’t satisfied. We will wheel and deal for players because we have to at this level we don’t have the budget to compete with Lincoln and Mansfield and that’s not down to NS that down to crowds and overheads. they will pick up some of the good players early doors.

You also have to remember that all goal scorers start somewhere. Rudge will be hunting that player that’s missed the radars as well as trying to get a deal done for an experienced player I’m sure. Let’s not forget rudge also loves wheeling and dealing, it was Fergie that said he dreaded the phone going and it being John rudge because he always wanted something for next to nothing

On the Striker front they maybe we’ll have been told by NS that they have to get a couple out first aka Barnett or Davies before big wages are available, they don’t want to be stuck with 6 players they don’t want paying wages for them and 4 new ones too

For a centre mid or attacking midfielder how about Sam Jones, the player Shrewsbury signed from Grimsby in January(scored against us at VP). Not featured a great deal for Shrewsbury despite them paying a fee. It was Aspo who sold him to Grimsby from Gateshead the year before.

I guess it may depend if Shrewsbury go up(final on at the mo) and if he's in their plans if they did?

For a centre mid or attacking midfielder how about Sam Jones, the player Shrewsbury signed from Grimsby in January(scored against us at VP). Not featured a great deal for Shrewsbury despite them paying a fee. It was Aspo who sold him to Grimsby from Gateshead the year before.

I guess it may depend if Shrewsbury go up(final on at the mo) and if he's in their plans if they did?

He would be a cracking signing... unfortunately I reckon he will be in the Shrews plans.

You never know though, Norman might offer them £10k every time he wins us a corner.

You'd have thought so, especially if they stay in League One, that said only made 4 or 5 appearance and most of those were the last few games when they knew they would be finishing 3rd and made a few changes. No where near the squad today either. Plus Shrewsbury will no doubt at least want their money back and as you say can't see us paying unless it's less than 50K(not sure what they paid btw?). Problem is if Shrewsbury stay in League One I suspect they may get raided for 2 or 3 of their better players and their loanees will go back which will move him up the pecking order.

That said we bought Callum Howe in January and look how that worked out!

Archived