onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Exeter City

Fosse69

I think Smith is an excellent player and has impressed me greatly in the matches I've seen.

The main problem is in front of the back line with Tonge and Pugh. The latter is anonymous in most matches and the former isn't much better. Having said that, Tonge woke up on Saturday when we were 2-0 down and played ok in my view.

Tonge and Pugh have got glowing reports from both managers after Saturdays match?

Advert

The question is will Apsin start tonight with the team that finished Saturdays game, the team that started it or maybe even a mixture of both?

Given his usually cautious approach I can't see him starting with the side that finished against Stevenage. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he does.

I really hope so! He must be realising that his bold moves at half time are paying off. So be bold from the off!

We've had this discussion over tactics all season long and it won't be solved until the summer. Our midfield is slow and a couple of them lack the speed and energy to get from box to box for 90 minutes. As a consequence we've tended to go for one up front and a deeper lying player to help protect the midfield. If we play two strikers we run the risk of getting overrun in the centre and chasing the ball too much.

However, when we do get on the front foot and give maximum effort, which usually happens after half time when we are invariably chasing the game, we look better and more threatening. Until we do that we look completely inept and shot-shy.

So what's the solution?

I guess we'll play it cagey again - against a much better team than we've played lately - and hope we can keep it tight and go for it late on.

Would a point suffice tonight?

I don't know Exeter's strengths but I'd probably re-instate Gibbons with Worrall down the right and play Howkins for his height at the back. With a heavy pitch I don't know if Tonge and Pugh can do two games so close together.

I'd like to see Whitfield on the pitch at some time. He might be suffering from a lack of game time/form but he's got more ability than some of the others.

Same team that finished Saturday for me. Keep the momentum going.

I'd say [as I have done before] that 3-5-2 would suit the players we have best... but I don't think the switch of formation is wise at this stage of the season.

If it were possible I'd go with:

3-5-2: Boot; Davis, Howkins, Smith; Gibbons, Worrall, Pugh (Kay when fit), Hannant, Monatno; Forrester (Pope when fit), (any one of Whitfield, Wilson or Harness).

I read that Exeter were training on 3G pitches because of the snow.

The Vale Park quagmire will be a bit of shock for them.

Whether or not the pitch is a shock, reality check again ladies and gents. It is Exeter we are playing,the same Exeter who lost away to Morecambe on Saturday !!!

Im expecting that same starting XI as Saturday but hope to God it isn't.

I would go for:

GK: Boot

RB: Gibbons

LB: Montano

CB: Smith

CB: Howe

CM: Tongue

CM: Hannant

RW: Worrall

LW: Harness

CAM: Whitfield

ST: Forrester

Howe in for Raglan as he was atrocious on Sat and we've signed Howe permantly so let's see what he can do.

Gibbons in for Davis as Davis is not a natural right-back so if we've got one and he's better - play him. It's not rocket science.

Hannants industry and willingness to get up and down in CM would be a refreshing change from the double pensioner pivot.

Thought Harness was our best player till he went off at HT. Instruction to just run at their defense and cause havoc.

Whitfield re-introduced in a free role to see if he can produce a bit of magic and spark a return to form.

The last time we really took a game to the opposition from the off was Luton and look how that turned out. Why this mentality and approached changed I'll never know. Draw a line under it and start as we mean to go on tonight.

Archived