onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

I think it's equally important to be aware that there 'being a problem with immigration' is an opinion, not a given, and that many don't share that view.

And vice versa ..... there not being a problem with immigration is also an opinion that many don't share.

The problems I see affect the immigrants as much as "The locals"

Advert

I think there was some suggestion - in the nineties especially - that asylum seekers were more closely related to crime than any other social group. But of course the reality is that the determining factors are poverty, social deprivation and helplessness rather than being an immigrant per se.

As I say I think it's a valid point to claim that in some parts of the country high numbers of immigrants can affect the population balance and local culture and the government (all governments) have done nothing about that. I guess ministers tend to live in very affluent areas and don't see some of the issues that others face.

That said, I still believe strongly that the single market has been a force for good and mixing and working more closely with our European friends and allies has to be a good thing.

(It's interesting if not terribly detailed to do one of these DNA tests and see what it throws up. I haven't done one but I've seen a few from family members and invariably they have ancestors and relatives all over Europe - at least - but especially in Scandinavia and France. We are all like mongrels as far as I can tell. I know, I know, speak for yourself. :wink:)

I think there was some suggestion - in the nineties especially - that asylum seekers were more closely related to crime than any other social group. But of course the reality is that the determining factors are poverty, social deprivation and helplessness rather than being an immigrant per se.

As I say I think it's a valid point to claim that in some parts of the country high numbers of immigrants can affect the population balance and local culture and the government (all governments) have done nothing about that. I guess ministers tend to live in very affluent areas and don't see some of the issues that others face.

That said, I still believe strongly that the single market has been a force for good and mixing and working more closely with our European friends and allies has to be a good thing.

(It's interesting if not terribly detailed to do one of these DNA tests and see what it throws up. I haven't done one but I've seen a few from family members and invariably they have ancestors and relatives all over Europe - at least - but especially in Scandinavia and France. We are all like mongrels as far as I can tell. I know, I know, speak for yourself. :wink:)

A mongrel language too, French, German, Latin, etc, no wonder it is the language with the most words.

If immigrants all returned to their country of origin the NHS wouldn't be any better off..... workers who supply the services required would be in short supply and less money would be available....

The housing situation would not change..... not enough housing has been built for decades.

I doubt the wait to see a doctor would improve.. see NHS above.... and as the population ages more time with doctors is required.

Immigrants suffer the same problems as "locals", they don't get preferential treatment usually.

The problems caused by the number of people is something successive governments have failed to address.... it's all been addressed by using the "sticky plaster" method which is often followed by a "knee-jerk reaction ".

Political parties have been far to busy trying to capture votes with rhetoric and promises instead of dealing with foreseeable problems.

If immigrants all returned to their country of origin the NHS wouldn't be any better off..... workers who supply the services required would be in short supply and less money would be available....

The housing situation would not change..... not enough housing has been built for decades.

I doubt the wait to see a doctor would improve.. see NHS above.... and as the population ages more time with doctors is required.

Immigrants suffer the same problems as "locals", they don't get preferential treatment usually.

The problems caused by the number of people is something successive governments have failed to address.... it's all been addressed by using the "sticky plaster" method which is often followed by a "knee-jerk reaction ".

Political parties have been far to busy trying to capture votes with rhetoric and promises instead of dealing with foreseeable problems.

A solution to those problems would require a change in economic policy, something that is unconscionable for the Conservatives. For them the 80s have never gone away.

The racist party UKIP have two fantastic candidates standing for European elections. The man who taught his dog a nazi salute, and another who said feminism is cancer and he wouldn't even rape Jess Phillips.

How anyone can vote for these nutters or the likes of fascist Farage is beyond me.

Ukip will not be able to compete with the man who invented Brexit in next week's local elections.

A solution to those problems would require a change in economic policy, something that is unconscionable for the Conservatives. For them the 80s have never gone away.

Both parties have failed miserably to address the issues.

Tories don't want to spend the money but when they do it's usually on crap that might earn them votes not on effective measures that solve problems.

Labour want to spend money we don't have on things we could do without but miss the things that would help with vote catching claptrap.

If both parties spent more time doing their job when in power and less time debating and baiting the others failures and shortcomings..... perhaps..... just perhaps.... things would actually improve.

It's pointless throwing money at the NHS..... it's a black hole.... it needs reforming... if it wasn't for volunteers the whole system would have collapsed.

Why keep talking about the housing shortage.... build houses, bungalows, flats, convert old buildings, reposses derelict buildings...... something... anything.

Homeless crisis every winter..... why just winter?...... do the homeless suddenly have homes the rest of the year?.... instead of getting police and pcsos? to move them on to another area who don't want them do something constructive.

I doubt if another 20,000 police officers would greatly affect knife crime if 6-8-10 officers can attend a traffic stop for a document check..... I think more stop and check will escalate problems rather than cure one especially if you consider who is most likely to be stopped.

This list could go on and on..... stop the gobbing off rhetoric and bloody do something.... anything constructive would be a start.... but don't just throw out a few quid and pass it off to the recipiant..... you know it will get swallowed up in the beurocracy......

Archived