onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

Advert

It seems the geriatrics in the house of lords are discussing cutting pensioners "perks"........ I would suggest they put their own house in order first.

Probably agreeing that turkeys should not vote for Xmas on health and safety grounds

It's all about the numbers for the majority of people geo but it always ends with racist accusations,usually by others who are happy to vote for a racist party themselves?They are just trying to bring people down to their level.

Nothing wrong with opposing something is there?

It goes on everyday on here.

So it's ok to support a party where candidates are anti-equality and it's ok for people to oppose equality yet it's wrong for some of us to point out racism? I make accusations of racism when I see racism. It's extremely important to call this **** out. Racism is on the rise in this country and as many people as possible need to stand up to it. I've been critical of the Labour Party due to some of the anti-semitism but I find it extremely rich for someone like you, someone who has defended UKIP and Conservatives, to turn round and accuse Labour of being a racist party. Pathetic political point scoring from someone who has shown absolutely no interest whatsoever in equality or fighting bigotry. If you are so concerned about racism in political parties, where are your posts about the islamophobia in the tory party or the numerous incidents of racism and bigotry from other right wing parties? Where's your criticism of the Windrush scandal or Theresa May's hostile environment policy? Do you even understand what the anti-semitism issue in the Labour Party is about?

It seems the geriatrics in the house of lords are discussing cutting pensioners "perks"........ I would suggest they put their own house in order first.

Whilst I agree with the second part of your sentence and realising that I risk incurring the wrath of the older members of the forum, isn't it true that the elderly have been more protected from cuts than most of society? Genuinely happy to be proved wrong.

Whilst I agree with the second part of your sentence and realising that I risk incurring the wrath of the older members of the forum, isn't it true that the elderly have been more protected from cuts than most of society? Genuinely happy to be proved wrong.

Protected from cuts is a bit of a stretch.... I think.

They suffer from most of the cuts to services as does anyone else

Tripple locked pensions is a safeguard, winter fuel payments and a free bus pass after 50+ years of paying in is hardly a perk.

A free TV licence should be for everyone.

Don't run with the idea a triple lock means they get thousands extra every year.

It's political suicide to kick pensioners, there are quite a number of votes to be lost, along with the sick and disabled.

Consider the graduated pension older people paid into, not that they had a choice, for every £1 paid in you got 6d a week on your pension.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul isn't a good move for any party, although it's been done before. I would suggest that reducing one group to make another feel better is divisive at best.... and not a path any political party should walk.... but often do.

So it's ok to support a party where candidates are anti-equality and it's ok for people to oppose equality yet it's wrong for some of us to point out racism? I make accusations of racism when I see racism. It's extremely important to call this **** out. Racism is on the rise in this country and as many people as possible need to stand up to it. I've been critical of the Labour Party due to some of the anti-semitism but I find it extremely rich for someone like you, someone who has defended UKIP and Conservatives, to turn round and accuse Labour of being a racist party. Pathetic political point scoring from someone who has shown absolutely no interest whatsoever in equality or fighting bigotry. If you are so concerned about racism in political parties, where are your posts about the islamophobia in the tory party or the numerous incidents of racism and bigotry from other right wing parties? Where's your criticism of the Windrush scandal or Theresa May's hostile environment policy? Do you even understand what the anti-semitism issue in the Labour Party is about?

I would support any move by any party to offer equality of opportunity.

but isn't it the elderly of today who have in most cases worked all their possible working lives, paying into the system, do you begrudge them what they receive?

Apparently,the 17.4m Brexiteers are racists according to some,anyone who has a barbeque on St.George's Day and fly's the English flag in the garden is also branded a racist.The meaning has been diluted so much that it's slowly becoming irrelevant.

As the saying goes "Your race card has been declined,do you have another form of argument?"

but isn't it the elderly of today who have in most cases worked all their possible working lives, paying into the system, do you begrudge them what they receive?

Of course not. But, to play devil's advocate, pensioners have also spent their entire lives taking from the system. It's not like they've been gifting money to the nation. I don't particularly believe that they should be targeted for cuts but am curious as to why many if them believe their benefits should be ring fenced when most of the rest of society are facing cuts.

Of course not. But, to play devil's advocate, pensioners have also spent their entire lives taking from the system. It's not like they've been gifting money to the nation. I don't particularly believe that they should be targeted for cuts but am curious as to why many if them believe their benefits should be ring fenced when most of the rest of society are facing cuts.

Taking what exactly?

Why do you think of pension as a benefit?

Speaking as one, we had a far better system or structure than the workers of today have, lots do need/deserve their benefits/perks but equally lots would not notice if they were means tested.

I get £155, the wife £93 per week pension, I've 2 private pensions total £334 per month, so my income per week is £331. So whats the average wage nowadays? I pay council tax, gas+electric, and shop at the same shops as the younger workers do, no benefits received so pay my way just. For that I've worked and payed in for 49yrs and 5mths, I don't want to be in a position of asking(begging)for help, to support my family, only what I paid in, to me it was a contract I made with the govt. when I first payed into NI, and by the way it was free eye care, free dentistry, free chiropody, which have all been eroded...

Speaking as one, we had a far better system or structure than the workers of today have, lots do need/deserve their benefits/perks but equally lots would not notice if they were means tested.

but those who do need the ring fencing in place are those who have worked all their lives up to now anyway...

Archived