onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

Advert

Things like free TV licence, bus passes, heating lump sums, Xmas bonus, was in my mind.

Free tv licence if over 75 that might be stopped or if you are older whatever the BBC decide, Bus passes fair enough if you've got a bus service to use them on, Heating lump sum yes if your over 66 this I think was brought in cause pensioners could not afford to use both heat or for cooking and were dieing which for a G7 country did not look good, Then winter fuel allowance if your on benefits and the temp. falls below 0 for a week or more. Lastly xmas bonus a £10 tax free payment to pensioners who get certain benefits... welcome to the 21st century.

But if it helps someone, fair enough...and i'm not being cynical but its not all give, if you've saved what you can for your old age you don't get anything extra...

Free tv licence if over 75 that might be stopped or if you are older whatever the BBC decide, Bus passes fair enough if you've got a bus service to use them on, Heating lump sum yes if your over 66 this I think was brought in cause pensioners could not afford to use both heat or for cooking and were dieing which for a G7 country did not look good, Then winter fuel allowance if your on benefits and the temp. falls below 0 for a week or more. Lastly xmas bonus a £10 tax free payment to pensioners who get certain benefits... welcome to the 21st century.

But if it helps someone, fair enough...and i'm not being cynical but its not all give, if you've saved what you can for your old age you don't get anything extra...

I am not proposing to take them from the majority, but does a pensioner on say twice average pay need them if the money could be used elsewhere?

No.

Child benefit is the same isn't it?

There are arguments for universal benefits and ones that go to mothers but if you choose to have a lot of children you should not expect the state to pay for them. I know it isn't a lot of money but with a few kids it quickly adds up.

Certainly very wealthy families don't need the money but where do we draw the line? 60k? 100k? 500k?

If money's tight it is something that we should look at because I'm sure if you've got a great deal of money you are not going to miss it but others rely on it a lot.

I'm sounding very right wing here! :wink:

If they remove all of these benefits from the elderly would they be eligible for food banks?

Does the state pension meet the criteria of a living wage?

Wasn't part of the great welfare state promise that if you did your bit and paid in the state would take care of you In your old age?

State pension isn't a hand out..... it should not be means tested.

If you cut cold weather payments cut them for all..... and the Xmas bonus.

How about cutting DLA, AA, PIPs ..... IT'S NOT THE STATES FAULT people are disabled and have problems working.... or old.

Why not move retirement age to 90..... most pensioners won't reach that age.... save a fortune.

How about an opt out.......? You pay nothing in you get nothing out. No health care, education, pension etc..... but then you pay nothing in..... no tax, vat, NI, council tax etc.

Most of the perks were vote grabbers...... you grabbed em now pay for them.... or break the promises made.... and lose the votes.

TV licence should be dropped now, it’s about time they became self funding. It does not offer good value for money and over half the population watches other forms of tv.

I am quite happy to pay to avoid advertising and Murdock

I am not proposing to take them from the majority, but does a pensioner on say twice average pay need them if the money could be used elsewhere?

Problem is, if you means test a benefit and set a maximum income at which it's paid then someone loses out. For example, if you set the level at £25k and there are two pensioners, one on £24,990 and one on £25,010, then one gets it and the other doesn't.

You could employ some sort of sliding scale instead but would they want to do that? They can't even get Universal Credit right.

One of UKIP's candidates has been caught up in yet another racist outburst.

In two videos — one of which has since been deleted by YouTube — Benjamin repeatedly used the n-word. He said a YouTuber and the alt-right were “faggots” and “acting like n**gers” in showing him disrespect because “white people are supposed to be polite”.

In another video, Benjamin said Jewish people “needed to drop the identity politics” before, adding: “I’m sorry about the Holocaust, but I don’t give a ****.” In another video, Benjamin linked feminism with mass killings carried out by misogynistic men.

Suppose I'll be criticised for 'playing the race card' again, won't I?

Archived