onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Smurthwaite Out

Houston Valiant

:clap: Absolutely SV1876, this is not as simple as a binary type conversation i.e. us v them.

No, you're right, it isn't. Can't have oversimplification. That'd be a bit like making sweeping generalisations about fans being intent on dividing the fan base.

Advert

Anyone wanting to know how to run a FC and engage with fans should read this guy's Twitter

https://twitter.com/andyhholt?lang=en

The only question that I have for any would-be Smurfettes is what are his achievements in 5 years?

**** all IMO.

That’s the sort of passionate guy we need. I never realised, but Andy Holt is Wham. His company sponsors the stadium. He’s a local lad who has built a successful housewares manufacturing business over the last 20 years. There’s the parallel with Synectics. Carol may not be local born but she’s an adopted Vale fan. From what Jackie says, they’ve made 4 bids. That’s the sort of persistence I have alluded to. What their future strategy is, who knows? But if it’s not them who takes over from Norman, one day, it needs to be someone like them, with a passion for Burslem.

In the meantime, we need to get on with supporting the team and all that Aspin is trying to do.

But it isn't as black and white as that. You don't have to be in one camp or the other. Nobody I know supports Smurf, we all support Port Vale. Some people are concerned about how the owner is running things and some people have no concerns. Having no concerns doesn't make you a Smurf supporter, it just means you are a Port Vale supporter with no concerns about the owner. I know it would be easier for those who seem intent on splitting the fan base to have Smurf haters vs Smurf lovers but there just isn't that divide. Stop trying to create it. (Not you personally but anyone who uses the terms 'Smurfettes or Smurf Lovers etc)

It’s the same old ***** that gets wheeled out every time we lose a few games. I didn’t see any “Smurf out” posts during December- then it was all “well done for stepping back” etc.

Reactionary, unimaginative, standard cack

But it isn't as black and white as that. You don't have to be in one camp or the other. Nobody I know supports Smurf, we all support Port Vale. Some people are concerned about how the owner is running things and some people have no concerns. Having no concerns doesn't make you a Smurf supporter, it just means you are a Port Vale supporter with no concerns about the owner. I know it would be easier for those who seem intent on splitting the fan base to have Smurf haters vs Smurf lovers but there just isn't that divide. Stop trying to create it. (Not you personally but anyone who uses the terms 'Smurfettes or Smurf Lovers etc)

For me, its the apathetic ones which are the issue.

If you're a Port Vale supporter, and by definition want Port Vale to succeed, I struggle to see how turning a blind eye to the man who's decision-making has us scrambling to maintain the League status we've had since we were formed 142 years ago.

The amount of times last time I was told I was 'ruining the club', 'stop distracting the lads', and that me and others 'weren't proper Vale fans' as we dared to air discontent for the benefit of Vale's future puts me off doing anything this time.

I'm not saying there's a divide; I'm saying theres too many Vale fans who either refuse or are unable to show dissent towards the current owner, despite the negative effect that has on their Vale supporting experience.

It baffles me, and to coin a legendary phrase, it is why 'we are where we are'.

It’s the same old ***** that gets wheeled out every time we lose a few games. I didn’t see any “Smurf out” posts during December- then it was all “well done for stepping back” etc.

Did you miss the January window where our manager, off the back of a great month, struggled to get any of his transfer targets as we were outbid by clubs at the same level as us (Miller, Dodds, 20/30 defenders), on smaller fanbases, and then lost a decent defender to the side 91/92 in the FL? Thats why mood has turned; Smurf has just made £2.2m over 12 months and we're not seeing the reinvestment into the playing squad or the matchday experience.

If you think this is down to drawing at home with Morecambe, and not the rot thats set into the club over the last 18 months (exemplified by the sub 4000 attendance and mute atmosphere in the Morecambe game), then there's only one person on here spouting unimaginative cack.

Absolutely 100% correct about December ... it was yet another disappointing transfer window that made people realise that Smurfs promise to support Aspin was, as you put it, cack.

It drove home that under Norman’s stewardship the vale are trending only one way.

Just what will it take for you to appreciate that he is not capable of turning the clubs fortunes around? Because you are letting him get away with a hell of a lot at the moment?

What if we don’t spend any of the hugil money on the squad? (Like the grant and Alnwick money)

I’m not being facetious here, people are genuinely concerned and have given a number of reason why... I would be fascinated to hear what it would take for you to actually admit that he is useless and we would be better off without him?

And please don’t answer with “there is no other option”... because we won’t know that until a realistic value is put on the club.

Perhaps those people are just as passionate and concerned as you and others but share a different opinion? Is that something you can comprehend?

I can't comprehend it, no.

In my view you can't be passionate about the Vale, and concerned about our current position, and then decide not to express discontent with a man who relegated us, and isn't funding our great manager despite a windfall of £2m+ over the last year. It simply doesn't make sense. "I dunna get involved with it" isn't going to help the team. Action will.

If anything this thread has put me off action even more; look what we have to contend with with the people on here. Imagine taking this to the people who can't use the internet.

Haha if it's that clear to you that changing the owner for anyone else will suddenly fire us up the league and see big transfers and bowling green pitch then it should be easy enough to convince the people that have their doubts.

A lot of it is lies. A lot of it is made up. A lot of it is boring. Changing the owner will change very little on here. There will be a couple of years grace period and then the same old lines trotted out when we don't start flying up the leagues or signing million pound players.

Be realistic and reasonable with your criticsm and people will agree with you, in my opinion.

If you have no concerns of the way the club is run then does that mean you are happy with the position the club is in, are you happy with the state of the ground, are you happy with the performances on the pitch, are you happy with the ever decreasing crowds and lack of atmosphere, are you happy with the poor facilities at the ground, are you happy with the terrible PR we have had to suffer, are you happy with the lack of marketing? If you are then good luck if not, where does the blame fall on and how can we improve all these things?

Haha if it's that clear to you that changing the owner for anyone else will suddenly fire us up the league and see big transfers and bowling green pitch then it should be easy enough to convince the people that have their doubts.

A lot of it is lies. A lot of it is made up. A lot of it is boring. Changing the owner will change very little on here. There will be a couple of years grace period and then the same old lines trotted out when we don't start flying up the leagues or signing million pound players.

Be realistic and reasonable with your criticsm and people will agree with you, in my opinion.

It doesn't really matter what happens on here though, the club is being very badly run by someone who doesn't care as long as it doesn't cost him too much. We have to hope that the next owner is better, difficult to imagine how they could be any worse unless they were St*ke fans on a wind up.

Absolutely 100% correct about December ... it was yet another disappointing transfer window that made people realise that Smurfs promise to support Aspin was, as you put it, cack.

It drove home that under Norman’s stewardship the vale are trending only one way.

Just what will it take for you to appreciate that he is not capable of turning the clubs fortunes around? Because you are letting him get away with a hell of a lot at the moment?

What if we don’t spend any of the hugil money on the squad? (Like the grant and Alnwick money)

I’m not being facetious here, people are genuinely concerned and have given a number of reason why... I would be fascinated to hear what it would take for you to actually admit that he is useless and we would be better off without him?

And please don’t answer with “there is no other option”... because we won’t know that until a realistic value is put on the club.

I’m no pro- Smurf and I think he is useless but I don’t change my mind every ten minutes like some, depending on results.

As I said, I’m past caring about the ownership/ running of the club. The whole thing is a shambles but nothing seems to concern him; reputation, poor results and falling crowds. He’ll go when he goes and all the moaning on the internet won’t change that and since the crowds have already disappeared, “starving him out” won’t work either.

I think you’re like so many others in the fact they’ve given up and lost any passion to try and change what goes on and just accept what will be will be. You’re right in the fact that he ain’t going anywhere, we are stuck with him, even if we hav protests and every single fan calls for his head, he will not leave on principal.

Have you forgotten last season?

That's just crackers. I don't expect changing the owner would do any of that. I just hope it would stop us falling like a stone down the leagues.

Archived