onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Thirty Years Ago

mikey

Advert

What would we give for another day like this? I remember it well even now. It was the start of our revival and a big turn around under John Rudge.

Still my favourite game for two reasons:

1. I didn't see the upset coming until it unravelled over 90 minutes.

2. The first big giantkilling I witnessed - and the sheer unrealness of Vale being top story on Sports Report, lead item on Match of the Day...

If you want a bit of a nostalgia wallow, my YouTube channel has a video of the entire cup run that year:

What would we give for another day like this? I remember it well even now. It was the start of our revival and a big turn around under John Rudge.

Wow!Brings a tear to your eyes that does.

What memories eh? The crowd, the noise, the haircuts, the fantastic support, everything.

I was there and it still gives me goosebumps now.

If only.........

Walker's goal still probably the greatest goal ever scored at VP in my lifetime.

There has been other great goals, but nothing like that. Against a team packed of internationals.

I think the Gary Ford (?) dive just before Walker picks it up makes it.

The first of many good games and the start of an era and gives pride to a generation as before its the team of 54-

Although my memory isn't the best can still remember the feeling when the 1st goal & 2nd goal went in along with Ruddock pulling one back and the close shaves with grewe'ys saves and those final minutes-sure they were the cup holders but their world class players didn't fancy it, it was a pure adrenalin rush and the atmosphere was as loud as any game I have been to,

Walkers goal swerved n dipped pure instinct ,did get annoyed with jimmy hill when he kept saying the keeper shouldn't be that far off his line on motd.

Remember the stick greavsie got (saint and greavsie)as he said spurs would need a map to find the place,think he had a few sent the week after.

What younger fans of today may not realise, is that that day Spurs played almost their entire 1st team, which was the norm for the time. Venables left World Cup winner Ardiles out because of the heavy pitch and someone must have made way for a young Neil Ruddock. So this was a giant killing in its true meaning. Not my all time favourite Vale victory (3-1 at Brighton to clinch promotion to what is now the Championship is still the best in my lifetime) but well up there. This was when the Cup Really was King. Hang you’re heads in shame Greed Is Good League teams for killing a once most revered competition. Thanks to them, FA Cup days will NEVER be the same again.

What younger fans of today may not realise, is that that day Spurs played almost their entire 1st team, which was the norm for the time. Venables left World Cup winner Ardiles out because of the heavy pitch and someone must have made way for a young Neil Ruddock. So this was a giant killing in its true meaning. Not my all time favourite Vale victory (3-1 at Brighton to clinch promotion to what is now the Championship is still the best in my lifetime) but well up there. This was when the Cup Really was King. Hang you’re heads in shame Greed Is Good League teams for killing a once most revered competition. Thanks to them, FA Cup days will NEVER be the same again.

Also ( though off topic slightly ) the Everton team was full strength for both ties. Get the glamour draw now particularly in the 3rd round and it'll be 10 changes minimum.

For me the cup has been dead for a while, used to be able to roll off my tongue the FA Cup final teams, the last decade or so are in the main unforgetable apart from one in 2011 :clap:

Ruddock was the Ardiles replacement wasn't he? Ruddock played in defence with Gary Mabbutt moved into midfield to take the Ardiles role.

There's a nice anecdote from Phil Sproson about that game. Apparently, before kick-off Sproson and big Bob Hazell determined they would foul Clive Allen alternatively (so they wouldn't get booked). At kick-off Sproson went flying in and then a few minutes later Hazell went in. Apparently after the tackle, Hazell leant on Allen's face as he was getting up, pushing him into the very muddy Vale pitch. Hazell told him "you've got ninety minutes more of this." According to Sproson, Allen went very pale and not much more was seen of him during the game.

Also ( though off topic slightly ) the Everton team was full strength for both ties. Get the glamour draw now particularly in the 3rd round and it'll be 10 changes minimum.

For me the cup has been dead for a while, used to be able to roll off my tongue the FA Cup final teams, the last decade or so are in the main unforgetable apart from one in 2011 :clap:

Any particular reason for remembering that final ? Blah Blah Blab

Remember the stick greavsie got (saint and greavsie)as he said spurs would need a map to find the place,think he had a few sent the week after.

Didn't he say the hardest thing that Spurs would face was finding the ground?

There was also another comment made by someone that they were missing 5 internationals and a Vale fan countered that we were missing 11:smile:

Love the 'V' floodlights too, could see them from my house in Wolstanton.

Archived