onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

England talk

TylerB

Its not just one match though is it. This England side is one of the worst weve had..But hey we just drew with the Germans and Brazil.

Id say the England team of today would beat the one of 1993. I agree we have been pretty dire though but I am keeping the faith and hoping we can for once pull off a shock result of our own in a major tournament. We are certainly overdue.

Advert

At the end of the day results, performances etc mean NOTHING in friendlies. What counts is of course tournament football and I don’t think I would be unfair by saying that our record is far from impressive. Until we do something at a major tournament I see nothing to get excited about. Still, Southgate is a great cure for any insomniac.

Its not just one match though is it. This England side is one of the worst weve had..But hey we just drew with the Germans and Brazil.

Yes it probably is the worst but that dosent make your statement correct! Kane has been pretty excellent for exngland you can't deny that. Yeah we did draw and with an extremely weak and inexperienced side, were not great but they were two good showings.

• 1 month later...

On current form I'd go for Pickford over Butland.Walker,Stones and Cahill are nailed on with the left back position wide open.If Wilshere stays fit he will be on the plane along with Lallana and Dier.Kane,Alli,Sterling and Vardy are also certs.

Gomez,Maguire and Loftus-Cheek are also in the frame.

• 1 month later...
I think you have a point.

I notice in rugby union that lots of top players are getting injured because they play too much.

It must be something to think about. But Sky money talks!

At last,the power's that be have seen sense and we look like getting an annual two-week winter break in February,commencing in 2019-20.

To accomodate this the 5th round of the FA Cup will be played in midweek and there will be no 5th round replays.

According to the Times,the break will be staggered,with 5 PL games being on one weekend and the other 5 the following weekend.

This will allow all PL teams to have at least 13 days rest in a bid to help England before Euro 2020 and future World Cups.

The winter break will only apply to PL clubs and has been agreed by both the PL and the FL.

At last,the power's that be have seen sense and we look like getting an annual two-week winter break in February,commencing in 2019-20.

To accomodate this the 5th round of the FA Cup will be played in midweek and there will be no 5th round replays.

According to the Times,the break will be staggered,with 5 PL games being on one weekend and the other 5 the following weekend.

This will allow all PL teams to have at least 13 days rest in a bid to help England before Euro 2020 and future World Cups.

The winter break will only apply to PL clubs and has been agreed by both the PL and the FL.

And if we don't win the world cup what else will they do to sabotage the traditions of English football?

This has actually angered me a little. If we were to get the 5th round and draw a big club at home and get a draw we would potentially lose out on half a million quid on replay ticket revenue so the PL and FA can try to blame anything other than selling football to sky TV for our national teams decline and underachievement. Once more the small clubs will lose out so the big wigs can pass the buck. God football really annoys me these days.

So as of now, with everyone available, what would your England 11 be for the first game against Tunisia. I'd go with something like this -

Pickford

Walker

Maguire

Dier ©

Rose

Delph

Wilshere

Alli

Sterling

Rashford

Kane

Subs: Butland, Stones, Gomez, Bertrand, Lallana/Oxlade, Lingard, Vardy

Pickford still has a lot to learn, as does Butland. Some people might go for Hart because of his experience but he's had a poor time at West Ham and I'd rather one of the other two mentioned be thrown in personally.

I'd be happy enough with either Tripper or Rose. Tripper has got much better delivery, but providing he plays games from now until the end of the season I think Rose is better overall. I'm a big fan of both Joe Gomez and Alexander-Arnold in-particular but think this tournament has come a bit too early for them to be starting. I wouldn't have Gary Cahill anywhere near the starting 11 personally despite his experience. Walker has been excellent for City and deserving of his price tag, with Gomez and Clyne as great back-up.

Delph has been superb for City this season, despite playing as a wing-back a lot, and is one of the few players we have that can genuinely tackle. I also much prefer to see Dier in defence than in midfield where he's far too slow and negative with his passing. Wishere, if fit, is a must.

Up top, Alli hasn't had the best of seasons but he occupies defenders with his movement at the very least, and is a goal threat. Sterling needs to start producing in an England shirt, but he's been scoring goals every other week for City and should go into the tournament full of confidence and belief which he seems to lack a lot of the time. Rashford has barely played of late for United and will likely to be fresh come the summer and not burned out like most of our players are after grueling seasons in the Premier League when tournament football comes around. Harry Kane owes us a big tournament after being so dissapointing last time out, but is the first name on the team sheet for me.

Are you sure that the staggering is nothing to do with the fat cats making sure that they don't miss out on TV money from Sky

My 23 man England squad if everyone is fit would be:

Jack Butland

Joe Hart

Jordan Pickford

Kyle Walker

Kieran Trippier

Danny Rose

Ryan Bertrand

Gary Cahill

Harry Maguire

Phil Jones

John Stones

Eric Dier

Fabian Delph

Jordan Henderson

Jack Wilshere

Dele Alli

Raheem Sterling

Adam Lallana

Jesse Lingard

Harry Kane

Marcus Rashford

Jamie Vardy

Andy Carroll

England don’t win anything not because of fixture congestion. We also don’t win anything not due to tired players. Not even because they’re paid too much. We don’t win anything because we’re not good enough. Sorry to disappoint poor misguided supporters.

Who are you even responding to? I ask that as I don't see one single person in this thread saying that England are going to win anything!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived