onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Will They Ever?

scVale

Something on a lighter note to ponder. Just lately seeing us at this all time low and on reflection to the last time we were in this mess under v2001 it got me thinking (hurts I know). Will we ever see the Vale at Championship level ever again in our lifetimes? I can remember a Blackpool fan saying on football focus back in 2007 after their promotion how they thought exactly the same thing back in the 90's but this is *ahem* Vale. As I get older (I'm 24) and see football develop further and further around us and leave Vale further and further behind I struggle to see how this club will ever be anything other than a mid-table L1 side ala Rochdale ever again. Just look how we struggled to even compete with even the most basic sides in L1. With all this combined with yet another crisis is it just too much to ask now?

Advert

No chance. I was only saying this to my kids the other day, i honestly don't think Vale will see 2nd division Football ever again. We've spent roughly 10 seasons in the 2nd tier in 60 odd years. I feel for the younger generation i really do, as at least i can say i saw some decent seasons. At the moment, Id be more worried we don't become the next Tranmere, Wrexham, Stockport, York, Torquay or Leyton Orient at the moment.

If we get a decent owner who invests in a good manager who in turn invests in a smaller squad of better quality players then it is achievable. None of these three ingredients are there at the moment. If it doesn't change soon we are much more likely to lose our league status. New owner asap is the first step to recovery.

Something on a lighter note to ponder. Just lately seeing us at this all time low and on reflection to the last time we were in this mess under v2001 it got me thinking (hurts I know). Will we ever see the Vale at Championship level ever again in our lifetimes? I can remember a Blackpool fan saying on football focus back in 2007 after their promotion how they thought exactly the same thing back in the 90's but this is *ahem* Vale. As I get older (I'm 24) and see football develop further and further around us and leave Vale further and further behind I struggle to see how this club will ever be anything other than a mid-table L1 side ala Rochdale ever again. Just look how we struggled to even compete with even the most basic sides in L1. With all this combined with yet another crisis is it just too much to ask now?

If u look at clubs like Bournemouth,Huddersfield and Leicester then why not Port Vale

We just need to get the rubbish management right both on and off the field before vale dissapear into obscurity like Stockport and macclesfield etc

Time is rapidly running out imho

The emporer is naked whilst Rome is burning !!

I think it still can happen but as stated in previous posts the whole regime needs to change

It can happen under Smurf but he needs to invest in a championship manager or someone with a bit of tactical nouse

Brown is not the man but I think the players we've got are good enough for promotion it's just investment and organisation and good tactics using players for what they're good at and we will start the move upwards to the championship

Bell was no angel just like Smurf but he backed rudgie and vale all the way

Sent from my iPhone using onevalefan

You can never say never, looks at teams like Bournemouth for example recently I bet when in administration on -15 points in league two only ten seasons ago none would expect to ever be gearing up for their third season in the premier league a decade on.

Things change quickly in football but things would need to change at this football club for us to start the upward trajectory.

It's possible but these days only with oodles of cash being put into a club and then it has to be spent well. As long as there is promotion and relegation it's possible.

I don't think you need oodles of money to get into the Championship but once you get there it is extremely difficult to progress unless you have millions to spend on players.Clubs like Burton,Brentford and Barnsley are on borrowed time and I also think Bolton will struggle this season because of their transfer embargo.

Unfortunately it is impossible while Smurfthwaite is still around. The smaller teams mentioned above have got "success" by running a sound business first, something that can never happen while Smurf is still here. Vale achieved success in spite of Bell, not because of him. Only one man can claim the success which we had during the 90's and it wasn't the one handcuffed to the radiator. Don't try to re-write history by claiming Bell was a good chairman. He wasn't. Bell couldn't lie straight in bed.

Archived