onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Will They Ever?

scVale

Advert

I remember watching us at northampton when we went bottom of div4. John McGrath and Rudgey were in charge and I reckon this squad has much more ability, within 10 years we were back in the old 2nd division before going on to have a(relatively) great decade so you never know. What I do remember is that the fans did much less moaning and got behind the team more.

There was no OVF forum then for a small number of people with agendas to make large numbers of posts disproportionate to their own numbers and try to influence people.

It seems all you get is abuse if you dare to disagree, and now even they are seemingly the ones that 'care' about the club whereas those of us who really support the manager and players and are patient enough to want them to do well are just treated as lesser fans.

Fan web sites are a superb development to support clubs - except for the forums which are poisonous in the case of a few posters who make lots of posts.

Vales most successful time in English football.....bell chairman....coincidence??

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Yep. Bell was successful because he had Rudge, though he didn't really want Rudge there! What made the Vale and Bell so successful at that time was Rudge's ability to spot the potential in lower league or second string players and develop them into seriously saleable assets. He didn't do it just once or twice, he did it repeatedly.

Having said all of that, Rudge would have found it even more difficult today after the Bosman ruling and with the domination of the game by Agents.

Hmm, don't know without looking it up. But Vale are the team to have played more seasons in the 2nd tier under its various guises without playing at the top level.

This is how the Sentinel puts it:

'Port Vale was founded in 1876 and holds the record for the most seasons in the Football League without playing in the top flight.'

Teams like : Southampton, Swansea, Brighton, Bournmouth, Ipswich, QPR, Reading, Barnsley and Norwich spent decades in the third division, waiting for the right owner to invest.

After very many decades in the lower divisions the Vale are still waiting.

Please hurry up and come forward Mr, Right Owner. I've waited 7 decades for you and my time is running out.

The only problem with Vale is we share a City with a Premiership team, other than QPR the teams you listed are the only league team in that city or town so pretty much have a bigger fan catchment area to attract.

Arent Vale the oldest football league club to have never played in the top tier of english football??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1892%E2%80%9393_Burslem_Port_Vale_F.C._season

Vale founded the Second Division that season, along with Ardwick, Bootle, Burton Swifts, Crewe Alexandra, Darwen, Grimsby Town, Lincoln City, Northwich Victoria, Sheffield United, Small Heath, Walsall Town Swifts.

Ardwick became Manchester City, obviously played top-flight football.

Bootle were relegated immediately.

Burton Swifts went non-league and went defunct.

Crewe Alexandra never played top-flight football but returned to the Football League after earlier falling into non-league.

Darwen won promotion but eventually went non-league and now defunct.

Grimsby Town spent some time in the top-flight.

Lincoln City - we actually took their record for longest in the Football League without reaching the top-flight when they got relegated into non-league for a few years only recently.

Northwich Victoria soon became permanently non-league.

Sheffield United obviously played top-flight football.

Small Heath became Birmingham City, obviously played top-flight football.

Walsall Town Swifts became just Walsall, never played top-flight football but returned to the Football League after earlier falling into non-league.

Very possibly - I think Notts County are the oldest club, and they have been up there. They also confound the "2 clubs one city" argument that is sometimes put forward as to why teams like Vale can't prosper because there is a bigger club across the city.

The two clubs one city idea is flawed anyhow, with the Borough of Newcastle under Lyme and Staffordshire moorlands it is more than big enough to host two successful clubs.

There was no OVF forum then for a small number of people with agendas to make large numbers of posts disproportionate to their own numbers and try to influence people.

It seems all you get is abuse if you dare to disagree, and now even they are seemingly the ones that 'care' about the club whereas those of us who really support the manager and players and are patient enough to want them to do well are just treated as lesser fans.

Fan web sites are a superb development to support clubs - except for the forums which are poisonous in the case of a few posters who make lots of posts.

Every Vale fan I have ever met is to easy going imho eg could you imagine Coates at Stoke calling there fans richard heads and getting away with it he would never be able to watch his team again without an armed guard . That issue alone sums up my piont and shows why things aint gonna get any better soon Imho

Very possibly - I think Notts County are the oldest club, and they have been up there. They also confound the "2 clubs one city" argument that is sometimes put forward as to why teams like Vale can't prosper because there is a bigger club across the city.

County haven't been in the top division for 25 years and don't look like returning anytime soon.

Big difference between us and them is that their rivals across the Trent Forest,are no longer a PL team.

To have success at ANY level, first and foremost you have to be a well run club. Clearly under the present regime that is impossible. The only possibility currently is the new depths that we could plunge to. But new owner, new idea's, who knows ? But will we ever get a new owner whilst still in the Football League ? Your guess is as good as mine.

County haven't been in the top division for 25 years and don't look like returning anytime soon.

Big difference between us and them is that their rivals across the Trent Forest,are no longer a PL team.

County were relegated from the top tier in 91/2, when they were managed by Warnock.

Also in Div 1 that year were Luton and Coventry, now L2; Oldham and Wimbledon, now L1 and Leeds (Champions), Norwich, both Sheffield clubs, Forest and Villa are in the Championship. Of the 22 teams in the top tier that year, 11 are now in lower divisions!

Archived