onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Chesterfield v Port Vale

Fosse69

Judging on the performances at the weekend, if I was Brown I'd be totally brutal and drop anyone who underperformed. Therefore I'd go with:

4:5:1 - like at Crawley.

Hornby

Gibbons (surely he can't do any worse than Wilson has done in the first 2)

Kay

Smith

Denton

Tonge

Reeves

De Freitas

Whitfield

Pope

Turner

People might moan at Pope yesterday but I believe he will be crucial in away games.

I really have no hope for this one. They have not won in their first 3 in all comps. So that means only one thing, a comfortable 2-0 Chesterfield win. Brown making excuses for each goal. We can only hope I'm wrong but after watching the game yesterday all my hope has gone I'm afraid.

Sent from my iPhone using onevalefan

Hopes gone after 1 win 1 loss ffs

Advert

Hopes gone after 1 win 1 loss ffs

Oh so you weren't totally uninspired after that performance on Saturday? Couldn't make the Crawley game so can't comment but I've heard negative things about that.

Yes maybe it is to early to judge but after watching the game on Saturday I really don't think we have what it takes to push for promotion. Wycombe looked miles ahead of us in every department. If that's what Wycombe looked like, I dread to think how good the likes of Luton will be.

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Oh so you weren't totally uninspired after that performance on Saturday? Couldn't make the Crawley game so can't comment but I've heard negative things about that.

Yes maybe it is to early to judge but after watching the game on Saturday I really don't think we have what it takes to push for promotion. Wycombe looked miles ahead of us in every department. If that's what Wycombe looked like, I dread to think how good the likes of Luton will be.

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Well, Luton just sold their striker to Birmingham, so they must be worse for that at least temporarily.

I don't think anything can be read by Chesterfield being bottom or for that matter Coventry being top. When we went up in 12/13 we lost our 2nd game to Accrington in the monsoon at the end of the game.

From what i have read Chesterfield absolutely mullered Grimsby and were very unlucky. Then at Notts County they were down to 10 men, this is not a happy hunting ground and i am still scarred by the performance ( or lack of it ) in April, particularly the infamous Taylor free kick.

That said we should be looking to get on the front foot just to seee if their confidence is fragile, ours probably will be too so it could be a nervy game, as with any away fixture i will take a point.

From what i have read Chesterfield absolutely mullered Grimsby and were very unlucky. Then at Notts County they were down to 10 men, this is not a happy hunting ground and i am still scarred by the performance ( or lack of it ) in April, particularly the infamous Taylor free kick.

Christ I hope Taylor isn't signed and back in the team by Saturday

I think we will see him play 5 in midfield.

This could mean either Turner playing a central attacking midfield role, which would be good to see, or Billy Reeves playing alongside ADF and Tonge in the midfield if he goes a bit more solid.

I think he will go with

Hornby, Wilson, Kay, Smith, Denton

De Freitas, Tonge

Whitfield, Turner, Harness,

Pope

Got to say Pope hasn't looked great so far, if Forrester was fit he'd be in.

Brown and the players owe us massively this Saturday, not just for the Wycombe debacle but for last season's surrender at Chesterfield, one of the most spineless and depressing Vale performances I've had to sit through. If one moment summed up 2016/17 it was Ryan Taylor putting that freekick straight out of play when all we needed was a decent delivery.

Yes, they need to pull out all the stops to make up for Saturday. My guess is Brown will revert to the formation he played at Crawley where, though Pope was isolated, we managed to compete with effectively five players in midfield. Whatever he does, it needs to work because Chesterfield away last season was a disaster and the scars are still raw. There are no must-win games at this stage of the season but the damage to morale will be enormous if we don't come back with at least a draw from a club that, for whatever reason, is bottom of the league without a point. UTV.

I really want to go to Chesterfield to see a magnificent victory but I don't think I could cope with the disappointment if we got another hammering. I think I will skip it, better to regret not going and missing us win than actually be there to see us lose I feel. Cheaper too and there are plenty of other things to do on a Saturday.

I think we have a reasonable set of players but the team didn't work last Saturday. We needed one more player in central midfield, at the expense of a winger and tactically to be able to offer more than high ball to target man and play the ball out wide. There was no progressive play in central midfield and insufficient threat in the opposition box from a midfield player getting forward. Pope seemed to hang around the back post and was very ineffective.

So the challenge is to win this game because I think we can if we get the right team for the game on the pitch and the right tactics. Then we get Crewe. In a couple of weeks time things could look good with the right application. I think the club are lucky the Crewe game is next at home because that should help avoid a crash in attendance.

Because I can't drive at the moment for medical reasons it will cost me over £70 to go to Chesterfield on Saturday including ticket, train, bus etc. I didn't go last season, but the season before was a disgraceful collapse after half time in a game we were dominating first half. I do not want to see that lack of professionalism again - accepting that was from a previous era of players.

Archived